Quantcast Do you ever think about moving?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you ever think about moving?

Every so often, I think about moving to Florida, but although I don't have much family up here other than my dad, brother, sis in law and nephew, I still can't bring myself to move. But, I really want to move so I can visit Disney whenver I want. Does anyone else ever think about moving to FL?
    Hold on to your hats, cuz this here's the wildest ride in the west!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default All The Time!

I left the fitness industry to become a flight attendent so I could get the flight bennies to Orlando!
    I make my regular flight announcments and on my Orlando flights I also announce park hours for the night and EMH.
    I did the college program and since then have moaned and groaned about how cold New England is.
    So what if Orlando is one of THE most dangerous cities in the US? There's rental property in Celebration, right? Let's Thelma and Louise it and move! (only, no car off cliff deal)
    07-08 Prem Annual Pass-logged 27 days!
    06 Off Prop- Renaissance
    06 PC
    06 Off Prop-DTD
    05 Off Prop- DTD
    05 Off Prop- Masters Inn
    04 WL
    03 Off Prop- Masters Inn
    02 College Program
    99 ASM
    96 Off Property-Magic Music Days
    94 POR (Dixiel Landings forever)

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely, but then I talk to an old college buddy who lives about an hour south of WDW and listen to him complain about the three hurricanes that crossed over his house/town a couple years ago; the incessant attacks of the local insect population; the summer heat; etc. and decide that I might be able to enjoy being a 'snow bird' but couldn't hack moving there on a permanent basis!

I will be content to anticipate upcoming visits to WDW as a change of pace from the 'great white north.'

Post Thanks / Like

If my wife would agree to it, and we were more comfortable financially, I'd go in a second...
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

I have thought about it. Celebration looks nice. But my husband has spent a lot of time in various parts of FL on business and he really doesn't like it as a potential place to live. Doesn't mind visiting. But doesn't think we'd be very comfortable living there.

We did make a move from Massachusetts to Michigan(Canton) at one point and never fit in, so I'm hesitant to run off and try something new again. I didn't realize I was such a creature of habit and familiarity until that move. We lasted a year and a half and came back to MA.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean about the hurricanes. I think that is one of the big things that is holding me back, I couldn't imagine living somewhere where the possibility of losing our house every hurricane season is so great. We are lucky, we live about 35 minutes northeast of Philadelphia PA, we don't get hurricanes unless it's a tail end of one, no earthquakes, no tornados, not even really big snowstorms, thank GOD!! I wish I could win the lottery, the first thing I would do is purchase a condo close to Disney and then purchase life time passes!
    Hold on to your hats, cuz this here's the wildest ride in the west!

Post Thanks / Like

Believe me, I have thought about it, time and time again. However, I don't think that my wife would ever go for it. Being that we were born and raised in California, the thought of dealing with the humidity and the insects is enough to keep us here. However, the thought of a lower cost of living keeps us thinking. Yet, where we are now, we are only about a 7 hour drive from DLR. It is nice to have that option and not have the humidity. However, DLR is no WDW by a long shot.

Maybe I should get my wife to get a job with the airlines so that we could just fly free. Probably not going to happen, but hey, doesn't hurt to dream.

If we were to move, we would probably go to Georgia since that is where my company's HQ is located. Then at least we would be within driving distance!!
    John (aka HndrdPrcnt)

DL CM 1987 - 1994
    CM WDW Trips 87,89,90,92
    CBR 1994
    Beach Club 1998
    All Stars 2000
    POP Sept 25-Oct 2 2006

Jacksboro, Texas (Northwest of Dallas Fort Worth)
    Post Thanks / Like

We even took a day out of our last trip and took a tour of Celebration with a realtor. For some reason we just can't make the move. We come up with several reasons not to do it..but we always find another excuse to cancel it out.
    I guess the #1 and #2 decisons are..
    1. we think living too close to WDW would ruin the magic of our yearly trips.
    2. of course money..if we didn't have to work
    we would be there tommorrow, and probably have jobs at WDW..

we keep talking about it..who knows..someday maybe
    First trip 1981

Married at Disney's wedding pavillion 12-22-04
    DVC owners @ SSR Dec 2005
    OKW-DEC-2004-Wedding
    VERO BEACH-DEC-2004-(honeymoon)
    ASM-DEC-2005
    SSR-OCT-2006
    SSR-DEC-2007
    AKV owners Jul 08
    SSR Dec 08
    SSR June 09
    New Baby Boy arrived Aug 3 2009 !! (our first)

Post Thanks / Like

My DH and DS are the ones nagging me to move. Up until last year, when I lost my mom, I was very hesitant b/c of my family here. While I do have a brother and sister, they don't bother with me unless they need something, so I'm the silent sister they forget about until the time is good for them. That said, DH has really been nagging me incessantly for the last year to move, and the top of his list is Orlando b/c he wants to work at WDW!!! He said he doesn't care if we have a lot of money, we'd have super fun jobs! DS says "yeah mumma, let's go to Disney World every day!"......hey, he's five he doesn't know any better!

I do have family in Daytona/Port Orange, and they visit the parks frequently and both have decent jobs there, so maybe closer to them.

At any rate, I'm sure sooner or later DH will wear me down, it's just a matter of time!
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely! The plans are in the works right now. There is about a 95% chance that my DW and I will be moving to Orlando by the beginning of May! First thing on the list...get annual passes. Now it's just a waiting game.

Hopefully Grand Californian Sept. 14 - Dumbo!
    DVC Members - Grand Floridian 2014!
    POP - January 14
    ASMo - September 09
    POP - November 08
    ASMo - January 06
    ASMu - June 04
    Caribbean - May 03
    Many times off property
    One of the first families to stay at the Boardwalk when it first opened!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also seriously debating the move down there. DH is on board. We've found a home. I can move with my job. It is actually less expensive for us to live there than where we live now. I used to be worried about "ruining the magic" but the more time we spend in WDW the more I enjoy it... not even for the attractions... but just being there. Our last trip DH and I sat for two hours in Epcot drinking margaritas and watching the sun set; it is one of the best Disney memories I have. There's a 90% chance I'll once again be a Florida resident by the end of this summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats my plans for our retirement not setting on some beach somewere.But Working part time somewere at DISNEYWORLD Got to go back to reel work now.Plus a 14 year old to take care see you in 8 yrs were going to do it
    74 offsite
    76 poly
    77 pol
    80 poly
    81 golf resort
    83 poly
    84 cr
    87 golf resort
    89 CBR
    98 CBR
    01 CBR
    03 WL
    04 WL
    05 WL
    2006 WL 2010 WL

Post Thanks / Like

I talk about it with my family, but its kindof like that dream you have in college of quitting school & becoming a snow ski school instructor...it's talked about but never done.

I do think Georgia would be a great place to work since you are within driving distance, but you aren't so close that you ruin the magic. I do believe it would affect the magic if I was a local who frequented WDW all the time. However, I do think if I WORKED in WDW the magic wouldn't get ruined, it would just be different. So, I want to move there after I retire & begin a second career at the World.

Post Thanks / Like

I told DH that if his job (wheel factory) goes under and shuts the doors, we could move to Florida and we could get jobs at WDW. He operates a machine in a factory, surely he could operate a machine at WDW, right? However, he has left that job for a more stable company making cable. Oh well, maybe when we retire (we are in our mid 30's now, so we are halfway there!)
    2007/2008-Pop Century
    2005-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004-Port Orleans Riverside
    2003-Port Orleans Riverside
    2002-Contemporary Resort
    2001-All-Stars Movies
    2000-All-Stars Music
    1998-All-Stars Sports
    1997-Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I think about it every January, and change my mind every July.

I had one memorable trip in August when it was so hot, my feet and legs were literally baking. The temperature at 6 a.m. was about 85 degrees and the humidity was a killer.

I will never go back to Florida in the summer if I can possibly avoid it.

Post Thanks / Like

I could never take the heat in the summer in FL. We don't have that much humidity here in Maine so it would be a shock. We usually visit WDW in late october early november and there have been days when it was a little too hot for us then. I can't imagine being there in July.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

BelleWanaB.....since when is Orlando the most dangerous place to be, are you referring to hurricanes ???
    Disney Villas 1986/CR 1988/Dolphin 1992/POR-GF 1996/WL 1997/CBR 1999/WL 2001/BC 2003/POFQ-HHR 2004/BWV-VWL 2005/POLY 2006/ AKL 2006/YC 2007/Wonder-BCV 2008/WL-BLT 2009/POLY 2010/BWV-Dream 2011/CSR 2012/ YC 2013/YC 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boobalk View Post
    Thats my plans for our retirement not setting on some beach somewere.But Working part time somewere at DISNEYWORLD Got to go back to reel work now.Plus a 14 year old to take care see you in 8 yrs were going to do it
    AMEN!! boobalk and I talk about it every day! Just waiting for our DD to graduate & get settled and..."OFF WE GO!"
    1975 - Off site
    1980 - Golf Resort
    1981 - Poly
    1982 - CT
    1983 - Poly
    1989 - CBR
    1998 - CBR
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpySue View Post
    BelleWanaB.....since when is Orlando the most dangerous place to be, are you referring to hurricanes ???
    I think that she was refering to crime/violence dangerous. Orlando was number 7 on the Morgan Quito list of most dangerous cities in 2006! It was above cities like Compton, Atlanta, and Miami with 1807.5 violent incidents per 100,000. Who would have thought? Let's see where it ends uo this year!

Post Thanks / Like

One of my professors keeps trying to offer me a job in Miami (teaching). My school has a branch campus there and they are trying to recruit people, so I could move there with a job and be not too far from WDW. But....Miami? I dunno...
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: