Quantcast What's a good check-in time?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's a good check-in time?

Do you guys have a time that you prefer checking into your accomodations or do you just wing it and check-in when you get there?

In the past when we drive down 22 hours straight from Toronto, we'd end up checking into the All Stars during the early afternoon before our room was even ready, but that's because we've been driving straight. Do you guys plan your travel to the World around a good time to check in (when the check-in lines are not too bad)? We'll be staying at PO - French Quarter at the end of the month and I'm curious if the check-in lines there can get crazy. I know the All-Stars on occasion have you waiting in line for awhile...

*Disneyland Paris Hotel
    *Grand Floridian
    *Disneyland Hotel
    *Boardwalk Inn *Bay Lake Tower
    *Contemporary *Old Key West
    *Polynesian Resort *Animal Kingdom Lodge
    * Port Orleans French Quarter
    * Fort Wilderness
    *Art of Animation * Pop Century
    * All Star Movies, Music & Sports

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at POFQ last June. We got there at around 2:00 and it took us about 15-20 minutes to check in. That seems like it is one of the smaller resorts. We loved it. you can walk all over the resort.

Post Thanks / Like

We always check in as soon as we can upon arrival--if our room isn't ready, we just store our luggage and go to the parks or such. That said, we prefer to check in before 1 p.m., so that there are more room choices.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

My advice is to check in right away upon arrival...especially if you have special room requests! I can tell you in December we arrived about 2:30pm to check in and we had requested non-smoking room with king bed. Well they had assigned us a smoking room with two queens SO I very nicely said that we had requested a non-smoking room with a king bed. Well after the CM checked with his manager he came back and reassigned us a king bed room and said we were only able to get it because the people it was orginially assigned to had not checked in yet!!! It was a wonderfully large Room at the WL...in a prime spot! We really lucked out!
    1992 DisneyWorld (Contemporary)
    1994 Disneyland

1996 DisneyWorld (CBR)
    2004 DisneyWorld (WL)
    2006 December DisneyWorld (WL)
    2008 November DisneyWorld (WL)
    2010 October-November DisneyWorld(WL)
    2011 November Disneyland Resort- Grand Californian

2015 WL Villas

Post Thanks / Like

We also drive straight through and normally stay at the All Stars. The big difference is that we only have about a 12-13 hour trip. We normally leave late afternoon, early evening which puts us at the resort anytime between 6 am and 10 am depending on if we stop on I Drive for breakfast.

That time of morning there is rarely anyone else in line. Yes, the room is not normally ready at that time but we can park our vehicle and climb on board the bus for the rest of the day. If you ask, they will give you a number to call through out the day to find out if your room is ready yet. That way you can go crash in the afternoon if it is ready.

Just remember that when your room is ready will vary a great deal depending on the time of year.

Bottom line is we think it makes sense to check in as soon as we get there to ditch our stuff and use Disney transport. Plus when you are ready to go back to your room all you have to do is grab your stuff from your vehicle and go in. Of course, if you fly in and leave your stuff at the front desk you can ask them to put it in your room when it is ready.

Post Thanks / Like

We always check in right away. We have only had to wait once out the past years for our room. We have gotten there as early at 10 a.m. and late as 2 p.m.
    Poly 2004-2009 LVC
    WL Villas May 2007
    DC Wonder 2010/Poly GVC
    DC Dream 2011/Poly LVC
    Poly LVC 2012
    Contemporary Dec. 2012
    July 2013 Poly GVC
    Poly GVC 2014
    Poly Club April 2015
    AKL Royal Asante Suite 2015
    October Poly Club 2015
    Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf Club April 2016
    Poly Club Dec 2016

Post Thanks / Like

We check in as soon as we arrive as well. The earlier the better, IMHO.

We typically arrive on a Saturday between 11:00 AM and 12:00 noon. If we are driving, we pack all of our swim gear in one bag, and change in the locker room by the pool, and relax for the rest of the day.

This year we are flying. We touch down at 9:00 AM. We are packing our swim gear in the carry-on. Our goal is to be checked-in and at the pool by 11:30, enjoying the sun!
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Goofy Pilot Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJackson View Post
    We check in as soon as we arrive as well. The earlier the better, IMHO.
    I totally agree with this. You can always put your luggage in the hold area until your room is ready, and go do whatever it is you want to do. For us, we have to make a quick trip into MK just to get that out of the way and start things off right. Then back to the resort for a couple of while we wait for the room to be ready. Then, after freshening up in the room, it's back out to one of the parks to enjoy the rest of the day.

Post Thanks / Like

We also check in on arrival. It sort of signals the real start of the vacation when we do that.

The lines are generally hit or miss - there could be a large number of people checking out or a Magic Express bus could arrive shortly before you do which can make for long lines. Or you could walk right up to the counter.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

The earlier the better. We stay @ DTD our 1st night @ usually check in around 7-8 AM the next morning @ our resort. That way we can request, and most often get, the specific areas and/or rooms (yes we know the exact room #)and the ammenities that we prefer. We pre-register, check our luggage, and head off to parks unknown to continue our MAGICAL JOURNEY . And when we return, usually around lunchtime, Our "home" is ready and waiting for us! How SWEET is that?
    1975 - Off site
    1980 - Golf Resort
    1981 - Poly
    1982 - CT
    1983 - Poly
    1989 - CBR
    1998 - CBR
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

I check in upon arrival... Only once did I have to wait for a room.... all the other times, my room was ready for me....
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

We drove and checked in early (POFQ), then headed to Epcot for our very first "Adventure".
    Spent the day riding the rides and checking out the park, then the evening was spent at WS.
    Night time at the WS was really cool!
    Forever
    Rely
    On
    God!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I personally think "the sooner the better" Plus, like many others, I think you stand a better chance at getting what you requested room-wise if you are there earlier. The CMs have more options to choose from to accommodate you. And you get to spend more time in WDW
    Aubree

Disney Trips:

01/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    02/05 - Port Orleans - Riverside
    03/01- Polynesian
    11/97 - Polynesian
    11/91 - Off-site

Post Thanks / Like

In September, we arrived at CB at 8am and not only was there no lines, they had rooms ready and upgraded us for free. We checked in and deposited our luggage in less than 20 minutes and were off to our first full day at the park

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

This confuses me. I read here under the "Resort Check In Time" tab in info central that you can check in prior to the time and just stop by later that nt to find out your room number. But, I guess what I'm confused about, is when I check in (which will be about 10:30 - 11am!) will they tell me what kind of room I'm gettting? IE - I requested (fingers crossed!) a non-smoking w/ a king bed. I'd hate to do early check in, and then return to the resort @ 10:30 at night to find out I'm in a smoking room with double beds and if it's so late at night, I assume they will not be able to do much about it.
    Would they be able to tell me at early check in if I'm getting what I requested, or should I plan on early check in and still returning to the resort again at 4pm to beg for my request?

Post Thanks / Like

Whenever we check in really early, the CM's tell us the room number so they will know what kind of room it is then. They give us a number to call to confirm the room is available and to activate our room key cards.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

My opinion is to check in as early as possible. That way if there is a "problem" with the room, the more flexible and more options available for them to make a change.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney_Barbie View Post
    Would they be able to tell me at early check in if I'm getting what I requested, or should I plan on early check in and still returning to the resort again at 4pm to beg for my request?
    Great question Disney_Barbie. Is there anyone here familiar with Disney resort check-in procedure who can answer this question definitively?

Thanks,
    cgriff

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: