Quantcast Disney Store to Unveil "The Mickey" Store Prototype

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TiggerRPh Guest

Disney Store to Unveil "The Mickey" Store Prototype

Display & Design Ideas

August 16, 2005

With a ribbon-cutting scheduled for 11 a.m. on Aug. 21 at Westville Trumbill Mall in Trumbull, Conn., the Disney Store will celebrate the grand opening of the first in a series of completely remodeled Disney Store locations designed to vividly capture the fun and fantasy of Disney in greater detail than ever before. Dubbed “The Mickey,” the new Disney Store prototype is designed to transport guests into a sparkling, character-rich world of classic Disney magic and enchantment, with imaginative settings and colorful, eye-popping displays. Plans call for the renovation of approximately 30 stores in North America by the end of the year. In addition to Trumbull location, over the next several months the “Mickey” store prototype will debut in such malls as Mall of America in Minneapolis, Orland Square in Orland Park, Ill., and Staten Island Mall in Staten Island, N.Y. From the bright red entryway shaped like Mickey’s iconic silhouette to the “Twirl Here” icon on the floor outside the Princess-themed girls’ dressing area, the 5,000-sq.-ft. space in Westfield Trumbull Mall in is designed to give children and families an authentic Disney experience. A stunning, 11-ft. high “Sorcerer Mickey” is featured in the store’s center, with an elliptical ceiling and sparkling, lenticular lighting overhead. In each area of the new Disney Store locations--Girl’s World, Boy’s World, Plush World and Toy World--shoppers will find authentic Disney Store quality apparel, with the latest trends, styles and character-themed designs. Toys and plush lines include items inspired by beloved Disney characters, including Mickey, Minnie, Disney Princesses, Toy Story, The Incredibles, Tinkerbell, Pooh and, of course, Donald, Daisy, Goofy and Pluto. The new cash wrap area features a huge, iconic Mickey shape on the back wall, with gigantic Mickey hands and shoes near the counter shaped to hold smaller products and souveniers for last-minute purchases and gift ideas. Disney Store worked with the St. Louis-based Kiku Obata Co. on the “Mickey” store design.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like they're going back towards the original concept, where Disney Stores were a fun place, not just a merchandise outlet.

It's ironic that it took an outside company taking over to recapture the magic.
    joelk,
    Disney Transport Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Originally posted by joelkfla:
    Ditto.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by joelkfla:
    Sounds like they're going back towards the original concept, where Disney Stores were a fun place, not just a merchandise outlet.

Disney was just not willing to spend the money to make the stores great. Similar to Animal Kingdom - it could have been great from the start, but they will not spend the money required to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

In each area of the new Disney Store locations--Girl’s World, Boy’s World, Plush World and Toy World
    Um... where's Men's World and Women's World? At least give up Adult's World!

Just as I thought: they think only CHILDREN shop at Disney Stores, or that adults only want to buy for a child, not for themselves.

Say bye bye to my business, Disney Stores aka The Children's Place Annex. We get the message: you only want kids. And my DH and I don't have any. In your eyes, an adult who buys Disney for themselves has a mental problem.

Hello Wal-Mart and Target who carry Disney shirts, pants, and other products for the adult, in addition to movies and kids products. You obviously think it's ok for the adults who want Disney things too, and so you'll get the million dollars of business a year that we represent. Mickey Mouse IS the biggest selling cartoon character again, and you remembered it's the ADULTS who put him there. Thank you for that.
    Kerry

This week, we salute the attraction we like to call a couch with a breeze, the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. -- Yesterland

Post Thanks / Like

Kerry, I agree with you (and Adult World may still be in the planning stages, but doubtful...) [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]

I wonder if there is an address (snail or e-mail) that we can start a letter writing campaign to have them add Adult World?
    Okay, class. Optical orbits up front, and remember, we keep our subesophageal ganglia to ourselves. That means you, Jimmy.

What do you want me to do, dress in drag and do the hula?

A stranger. From the outside. Ooooooooooooh.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by DisneyLiz:
    I wonder if there is an address (snail or e-mail) that we can start a letter writing campaign to have them add Adult World?
    A friend of mine who used to work for a Disney Store called people who still do. Right now, Children's Place has no intentions for adult shirts etc. Not even the collectibles like snowglobes, watches, or anything like that. They think it'll be a problem, because a few years ago, the newest president of Disney Stores went in that direction.

He got fired for losing the stores so much business.

I'm guessing The Children's Place isn't looking at what Disney Stores used to make when they catered to all Disney fans. They only look at the children products sales and that's all they want.

That means for adult clothes, snowglobes, figurines, the new Christmas houses etc., we only have Disney Direct online and the theme parks.

Like you said, maybe they'll see they could have more business and bring back the grownup products. We can keep our fingers crossed! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Kerry

This week, we salute the attraction we like to call a couch with a breeze, the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. -- Yesterland

Post Thanks / Like

I'm disappointed that there won't be any adult merchandise, but you know what? I go into the store looking to spend money and I really can't even find anything for my "older" children; it seems to be geared towards the preschool gang, so I'm really looking forward to the renovations!

I still can't believe the stores are no longer owned by Disney. I found out when I went in the store looking for the catalogs that used to be at the registers and they weren't there anymore. Then the manager told me they were owned by Children's Place.
    " But you see, I have the other slipper! "

1987 - Off Site
    1995 - Off Site
    2001 - All-Star Sports
    2005 - All-Star Music
    Next Trip - September 2009 - Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by imaprincess!:
    I really can't even find anything for my "older" children; it seems to be geared towards the preschool gang, so I'm really looking forward to the renovations!
    How old of a child does The Children's Place cater too? Their windows only have pictures of kids up to 2nd grade. So will their policy really change in their renovated Disney Store? Or will it just be more of the same?
    Kerry

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Originally posted by Kerry:
    How old of a child does The Children's Place cater too? Their windows only have pictures of kids up to 2nd grade. So will their policy really change in their renovated Disney Store? Or will it just be more of the same?
    According to their website, Children's Place is sizes 0-14, not sure what that corresponds to in age, but their Toy section is for ages 0-8. They just renovated the Children's Place at my local mall, and I do like the look of it; its rich colors and subtle design makes it look inviting. Their stores are also split into quadrants, (Baby Girls, Baby Boys, Big Girls, and Big Boys) so it would appear they are continuing this type of design with the "Mickey" store.

When Children's Place bought the chain they did state they would be focusing it on "children". No age specifics, though.

The lack of an adult area doesn't thrill me, but I do like the idea of bringing some "magic" back into the design of the store. Realistically looking at things, catalogs and the theme parks are probably a more efficient way of selling "adult" merchandise than through a whole adult department in the store; however, a small section or intermingling of adult and child options would seem most optimal from both ends.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was pretty clear when The Children's Place took over the stores that there would no longer be any adult merchandise sold.

That's why Disney has Disney Direct available ... for adult merchandise.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Toys, plush dolls, and children's clothes. So what's changed other than decor? The Disney Stores used to be fun because they had cool Disney merchandise (watches, snow globes, etc.). Unless they bring back a greater diversity of high-quality Disney products, a makeover won't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.
    2014: BC; 2013: CS; 2012: POR, Dolphin; 2011: Hilton, Dolphin; 2010: POFQ, CSR; 2009: POFQ; 2008: HoJo DL, Royal Plaza; 2007: Saratoga; 2006: POP, BV, CSR; 2005: AS-Mu, Off-site, POFQ; 2004: POFQ, AS-Mo; 2003: CSR, AS-Mo, Royal Plaza; 2002: AS-Mu; AS-Mu, CBR, Off-site; 2001: WL; 2000: Landings/Magic

Post Thanks / Like

The lack of an adult area doesn't thrill me, but I do like the idea of bringing some "magic" back into the design of the store.
    My thoughts exactly.
    COLOR=Teal]2x a year every year as a child...
    with my children[/COLOR]
    AS Movies-Nov 2004
    Pop Century-May 2005
    POFQ(through MJ)-Oct 4-9 2005(free food!!)
    [COLOR=Purple]4/30-5/8 2006 Pop Century with Eric
    William's Birthday!- Sept 12-Sept 17 2007- AS Sports
    Spring Break 2008 -Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by WDWacky:
    I think it was pretty clear when The Children's Place took over the stores that there would no longer be any adult merchandise sold.

That's why Disney has Disney Direct available ... for adult merchandise.
    Well yes, The Children's Place is primarily children's clothing (okay, maybe a little more than primarily ) but because one of their divisions specializes in one type of clothing does not necessarily preclude branching into other/additional sizes.

Also, sometimes ordering clothing over the internet/via catalog is difficult as you cannot try it on without jumping through hoops to return it if it doesn't work.
    Okay, class. Optical orbits up front, and remember, we keep our subesophageal ganglia to ourselves. That means you, Jimmy.

What do you want me to do, dress in drag and do the hula?

A stranger. From the outside. Ooooooooooooh.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Last weekend the Disney Outlet sotre in Foley Al. had 3 items on the shelf...... Yes 3 items...... The store was empty.........

[img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

Orland Square (mentioned as another "Mickey Store" prototype) is about 10 minutes from my house. A few years ago, Disney used them as a prototyps as a "Home and Garden" Disney center. About 1/2 the store was bedding and furniture, and the rest was a bare-bones normal Disney Store.

The Home and Garden stuff was on clearance within 6 months, I believe. [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]

I like that they're trying new things, but it just doesn't seem like they can grasp the retail "thing" the way they do at WDW. Maybe it's the captive audience and immersion into "the world"....

Maybe each city just needs a "Disney Mall" or something...

Denise
    Next trip - New Years 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by DisnIse:
    Maybe each city just needs a "Disney Mall" or something...

Denise
    I have what I think would be an EXCELLENT idea. I keep it in my back pocket for that time I can present it to SOMEONE at Disney.

I know they don't take advice, or try ideas forwarded to them for legal reasons, that's why I'd like to throw it out there in and interview!

I know WDW and Disney itself are businesses, so working there wouldn't be the same, but I do think that it could be a lot better than doing other things. I can see the fan's frustration though, of knowing something could RWALLY work, but the number's guys will only let it "partly" go through.

Any Imagineer's or Cast members have some ideas for me to channel this, please let me know.

Thanks!

As for the Disney Stores now? I don't like the idea adults can't find anything. I understand the "Children's Place" bought them, but there should be ohter avenues aside from WDW/DL or the internet for us grown-up kids.
    Peter

1999 Off-site
    2000 Caribbean Beach
    2001 Contemporary
    2002 Port Orleans French Quarter
    2004 Joined the DVC!!!
    Boardwalk Villas / Saratoga Springs
    2006 Boardwalk Villas
    2008 June - Four nights in Old Key West are set and then it's down to Key Largo for three nights!

Post Thanks / Like

I live right near Trumbull and was at the mall last week, and let me tell you, the store is UGLY!!! It is HIDEOUS!!! The totally ruined The Disney Store with this new concept. They got rid of all the animatronic Disney statues, the window displays are just clothes, the store looks stark and desolate, and is nothing but clothes, stuffed animals, and some DVDs. No more snow globes, glass figurines, mugs, and other collectables. They also took down this gorgeous mural they had there behind the cashier. It looks like every other children's clothing store in the mall. And the entranceway is really bad: stark white with a big red Mickey ears archway. No more purple carpet with designs; it's white tiles. Ugh it is terrible.
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very disappointed, DBF used to buy my B-day and Christmas presents from the Disney store, everything from watches to pj's. It's also where we went to buy Disney Dollars before we went to WDW. Last time we went to the mall the Disney store had moved and they said the old store was being "remodeled" Now that I know what it will be I won't bother driving the 40 minutes to get there. [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]
    °o° Traci ¨¨*:•

Next up, hopefully, Just me & my Honey Sept. 9-14 ASMu celebrating 30 yrs and my b-day. Thanks Denise from MJ :) for the help so far & answering all my stupid questions.

Countless previous trips

Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused. I knew the Disney Store was taken over by a new company, but I assumed that Disney Direct was as well. Is the online store still maintained by Disney?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: