Quantcast Disney Pin Trading Etiquette

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney Pin Trading Etiquette

From Official Disney Pin Trading site:
    12/2004
    ©Disney

Disney Pin Trading Etiquette

• Have fun! Disney Pin Trading can be a great way to interact with and meet Cast Members and other Guests.

• The main criteria to judge whether a pin is tradable or not is that it must be a metal pin that represents a Disney Event, Location, Character or Icon. Some pins from our Operating Participants are also tradable, but must represent the Operating Participant in a way that has a specific Disneyland® Resort or Walt Disney World® Resort affiliation.

• Pins should be in good, undamaged condition.

• Trade one pin at a time, hand to hand, with the backs attached.

• Guests may trade a maximum of two pins with each Cast Member.

• Guest may trade only one pin of the same style with a Cast Member.

• When trading with Cast Members, Guests should offer a pin that is not already displayed on the Cast Member's lanyard.

• Please refrain from touching another person's pins or lanyard. If you need a closer look, ask the person wearing the lanyard if they can bring it into clearer view for you.

• Disney name pins may not be traded with Cast Members.

• Monies or gifts may not be exchanged or used in trade for a pin.

• In addition to the 12 pins on Cast lanyards, some Cast Members may wear a "Showcase" pin. These "Showcase" pins are for demonstrations to our Guests and are not available for trade.

*Rules are subject to change without notice.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!
    Kerry

This week, we salute the attraction we like to call a couch with a breeze, the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. -- Yesterland

Post Thanks / Like

I also hear that there are specific colored lanyards on some CM's that enable them only to trade with children. Is this true? What color? What is the age limit on children? Thanks!
    Jen
    S-O-UTH F-L-O-R-IDA! South Florida, South Florida, GO BULLS!!!

August 2008: Port Orleans Riverside
    July 2007: Polynesian
    Feb. 2006: Pop Century
    Before that many day trips and too many to list!!! I've been going since I was 3!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessEmmasMommy
    I also hear that there are specific colored lanyards on some CM's that enable them only to trade with children. Is this true? What color? What is the age limit on children? Thanks!
    Jen
    Hi Jen!

The Kids Only lanyards are teal in Disneyland and green in Walt Disney World. Of course, kids can also trade from Cast Members wearing black lanyards (or any color hip lanyard) like the adults. The cutoff age is 12 for the Kids Only trades.
    Kerry

This week, we salute the attraction we like to call a couch with a breeze, the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. -- Yesterland

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to Pin Trading

Is there a certain side to wear pins that you do not want to trade?
    "We'll make a wish and do as dreamers do; and all our wishes will come true!"
    SEPt1998 - RCC - Enchantment of the Seas
    JAN2003 - WDW - ALL STAR MOVIES
    OCT2003 - RCC - Majesty of the Seas
    OCT2004 - RCC - Voyager of the Seas
    JAN'05-SEPT'07 - 4 TRIPS to POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't heard of that -- wearing them on certain sides. I'd suggest doing one of a couple of things: if you have two lanyards or a lanyard and something else for wearing pins (like a vest etc. I just got one of those hip lanyards off of ebay), put the ones you don't want to trade on a separate lanyard or the vest. Explain which is your trading lanyard.

Or just kindly explain that you can't trade certain ones. Be firm, friendly, and don't feel guilty!

Kerry

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the pin trading info. do they have starter kits? and where if they do have in the parks can you purchase and cost thanks a bunch "gotta love "
    WDW79, DL 81,82,83,91, WDW "2006 on site WDW "2007" off site WDW "2008" cruise 4days WDW "2008" off site 7days, "2009" off site 7 full days 7/21 to 7/29 "whos counting"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by realtreebar
    thanks for the pin trading info. do they have starter kits? and where if they do have in the parks can you purchase and cost thanks a bunch "gotta love "
    I love !

They do have starter kits in the parks wherever they sell pins. Which is just about every store. Most kits come with a lanyard and a set of around 6 pins. Or, if you don't want a lanyard (or the lanyard that's in the kit), they do have a box of pins -- like the cuties -- by themselves.

I'm not sure of the cost. I'm guessing $25?

Something I do before a trip: pick up cheap pins -- like under a buck -- on ebay to trade. Some people even put together a pack of 20 pins. This gives me cheap pins to trade and if you buy a few from the same seller, it's one S&H fee. Just a thought!
    Kerry

Post Thanks / Like

hey thanks for the heads up we will be there on the 9th of jan 2007 "gotta love "
    WDW79, DL 81,82,83,91, WDW "2006 on site WDW "2007" off site WDW "2008" cruise 4days WDW "2008" off site 7days, "2009" off site 7 full days 7/21 to 7/29 "whos counting"

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post

]Please refrain from touching another person's pins or lanyard. If you need a closer look, ask the person wearing the lanyard if they can bring it into clearer view for you.[/list].
    I love to trade pins with guest so don't take this the wrong way but please, please remember the above suggestion. More people than not ignore this. More people will actually lift up my lanyard and touch each and every pin I have as a way of looking at them. From being on the other side of the lanyard this is very invasive. And to be honest I have to stop myself when looking at other lanyards because it is second nature to look and feel and see all at the same time. It may not seem like a big deal but being a female, I am uneasy about people running their hands down the front of my lanyard. Then there are the guest (young kids I can understand) who will poke at each of the pins.
    Parents please explain the Pin Trading Etiquette to your kids. I had a little girl the other day ask to trade a pin then proceeded to try and remove the pin from MY lanyard.
    Again, I not complaining because I love to trade pins with guest. I have the neck lanyard because I feel that it encourages trading more than the hip lanyard. But please, please try to think of the CM when trading. Thanks!!
    01/08- Ft Wilderness
    02/07 - PO Riverside
    12/06 - Pop
    10/06 - Pop
    10/05 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins
    03/05 - POP
    04/04 - ASM/Ft. Wilderness Cabins
    12/04 - PO Riverside
    08/02 - Coronado Springs
    08/01 - Boardwalk Villas
    03/99 - Boardwalk Villas

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Oh I refused to wear mine when I was at the Emporium. I was getting pulled by my lanyard, and more than once did they grab more than the lanyard. I slapped a Guest's hand away when they did it.

PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH THE LANYARDS! If you need a closer look, ask us and we will take it off the lanyard for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to hear that you CM's have such a problem with inconsiderate pin traders. My DW and I really enjoy pin trading and have always tried to be polite and modest with our trading techniques. I actually wasn't aware of the etiquette til just now, but all in all, it's mostly common sense and consideration of the other person's personal space.

We'll try to help set an example so that others/amateurs may follow.

P.S. I never thought something like this could be so addictive, especially for a 30-something male.
    I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something than educate people and hope they were entertained.
    Walt Disney

June 2006-POR (Anniversary)
    Dec. 2007-Pop (My Birthday) 9 DAYS!
    September 2008-POR

December 2009 OKW for MVMCP!
    Upcoming..September 2011-BLT/AKV for MNSSHP!

Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DoryFan View Post
    I love !

They do have starter kits in the parks wherever they sell pins. Which is just about every store. Most kits come with a lanyard and a set of around 6 pins. Or, if you don't want a lanyard (or the lanyard that's in the kit), they do have a box of pins -- like the cuties -- by themselves.

I'm not sure of the cost. I'm guessing $25?

Something I do before a trip: pick up cheap pins -- like under a buck -- on ebay to trade. Some people even put together a pack of 20 pins.
    You can also find lots of bulk pin sets. My mom bought a set of 100 for a $100.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pins

Not only should you not touch another person's lanyard, do not touch pins that are displayed in books or portfolios. Be gentle when turning pages and always ask if it's okay to flip through. Some people, myself included, have very valuble pins so please take care not to scratch or damage them in any way. NEVER pick up a pin book...leave it lying on the table.

If a person says no for a trade, don't take it personally. I have pins I won't trade either. I can't count how many people have asked for my Elliott pin (from 1996). I like to wear him on my lanyard because Elliott is my favorite Disney character. I've been refused trades. It's no big deal...just move along to the next person. It's the thrill of the hunt and eventually, someone is going to say yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if it's common knowledge but in the Magic Kingdom both city hall and the candy store across from thh emporium have books of pins behind the desk. All you have to do is wait in line as ask POLITELY. The pin store in Frontier Land has a "trading post" its a wooden post on wheels that they bring out from the back sometime that is filled wtih pins.
    In addition on International drive is one of disneys character warehouses. You can pick up pins there including starter sets very cheaply. These pins are "legal" traders. The usually have some starter sets and older holiday sets that were left over from the parks.
    Mmmmmmmmm Egg roll cart!

Post Thanks / Like

This is all good to know! My kids are getting to an age where pin collecting and trading is fun. I will make sure to let them know all the rules!
    07/95 FW
    12/96 Off Prop
    11/97 CBR
    12/98 ASM
    12/01 ASMo
    11/03 Off Prop
    12/04 ASMo
    12/07 ASSp, Pop
    12/09 ASM
    09/10 FW, SSR
    11/11 SSR
    02/12 POR
    05/12 OKW
    01/13 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Ok i really want to get started on pin trading! I will be there july, 8th 2012! so excited! but i have a dilemma... i want to buy a set of pins on ebay but i dont want to pay the money and then be ripped off! how do I ensure that I get good quality pins?

Post Thanks / Like

How do I ensure that I get good quality on the pins that I want to buy off ebay? (yes I'm a first timer)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frog14 View Post
    Ok i really want to get started on pin trading! I will be there july, 8th 2012! so excited! but i have a dilemma... i want to buy a set of pins on ebay but i dont want to pay the money and then be ripped off! how do I ensure that I get good quality pins?
    The best way to ensure it is to make sure the return policy is fair... also if the pins seem cheap by the lot there is a good chance they are scrappers. Tho the best way to get good quality pins is to buy them directly from Disney. If you want to trade my recommendation is to buy the mystery pin sets (also known as a blind box). You never know whats in them you usually get the best deal (roughly 5 dollars a pin) and if you don't like them they are easy to trade
    92 Fort Wilderness.
    96 Disney Institute
    2000 Off site
    2009 all star movies.
    2011 Port Orleans FQ
    2013 Port Orleans FQ
    2016 ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_redshirt View Post
    The best way to ensure it is to make sure the return policy is fair... also if the pins seem cheap by the lot there is a good chance they are scrappers. Tho the best way to get good quality pins is to buy them directly from Disney. If you want to trade my recommendation is to buy the mystery pin sets (also known as a blind box). You never know whats in them you usually get the best deal (roughly 5 dollars a pin) and if you don't like them they are easy to trade
    Ok Thanks! Is a "Gold Pin" valuable? it is a magic kingdom with a mickey on it and it has gold flecks (not real gold) all over it. Is this a valuable one? anyone heard of it???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: