Quantcast Help INTERCOT Search For Life In Outer Space

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

The SETI@home project searches radio waves for communications from other parts of our universe. If you have spare cpu cycles and a constant connection to the INTERNET (dsl, cable, isdn, dial up you leave on all the time)... AND want a REALLY NIFTY screen saver, join the SETI Project.

You can set it only to work when your screen saver comes on so you don't have to worry abour performance suffering. What it does, is take that idle time to work in conjunction with other computers around the world through distributed computing as a giant supercomputer!

Here's where it gets fun... we as a site can do this as a TEAM.

If you are interested:

1) go to the SETI@home site and grab the download at http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/download.html

2) Then go back to http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/account_area.html and have the password mailed to you (if you don't get it by signing up).

3) Then, join the INTERCOT Community: http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/c...form&id=149099

4) If you have questions, go to http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu or email me.

The INTERCOT Community page is located at:
    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/s...am_149099.html

It doesn't have stats yet as I just created it but it will be neat to follow as the weeks go on if we get a few folks... maybe even the whole site involved.

Post here if you can join us!

[ August 27, 2002, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: JohnY ]
    John Y
    Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer
    INTERCOT, Mousehut & Webdisney

At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.

-Abraham Lincoln

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think many of you may have missed this so I am moving it here to the water cooler. I think it would be pretty nice if we banded together as a site to do this...
    John Y

At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.

-Abraham Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome John! I'll join asap! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

::runs off and grabs his satalite and headphones::
    AJ (A.K.A. Figaro)
    Former Walt Disney World Resort Cast Member

“I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.” - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Joined [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    AJ (A.K.A. Figaro)
    Former Walt Disney World Resort Cast Member

“I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.” - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you don't mind if I join you...
    A few notes from a veteran...
    For the best speed, run it realtime, not as a screensaver and minimized. It may look pretty, but the video output slows down the output tremendously. The units can take pretty long to process, especially on a slower machine. It used to take about a week on my old machine. On my 1.3 Ghz AMD machine it takes about 6 hours. If I don't minimize it would take about 4 times as long. If you have a high tech video card, I imagine the time savings wouldn't be as great.

If you'd like to process multiple units (download several units at a time instead of one at a time), you might want to get Seti Monitor (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the website where you can get it). This is good if you have a dialup connection and your computer does not stay connected to the Internet...it allows it to run non-stop.

[ August 27, 2002, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Handshaw 100+visits ]
    I'd rather be@Walt Disney World :)<br />'04<br />&gt;12/17-24@AS:S,MVMCP<br />&gt;12/3-5@AS:S,MVMCP<br />10/22-24@PC,MNSSHP<br />10/8-10@AS:S,MNSSHP<br />8/1-6,9/10@DoI:N,9/11-12,9/26@DoI:BB<br />7/16-19@PC<br />7/2-5@AS:Mv<br />6/18-21@PC<br />1/1-4,1/16-18,5/4-11,6/5DoI:MI<br />42 days, so far@WDW in '04<br />&gt;586 days@WDW as of 1/1/4<br />'02)68 days@WDW+3 DoI:MI+MJ+Pr, MNSSHP, MVMCP<br />'02)65 days@WDW+1 DoI:Pr, MNSSHP, MVMCP<br />'01)53 days@WDW+1 D.onIce:TS2, MNSSHP, MVMCP<br />'00)36 days@WDW+MVMCP<br />'99)46 days@WDW+MVMCP<br />'72-'99)AS:Mu, DIx2, Poly x2, GF, C

imported_dpamac Guest

Okay, Jeff should be an inspiration to us all! I just looked at his stats.

Mine are pathetic so far. I joined almost two years ago and I forgot all about it.

Well, I'm gonna catch up with Mr. Handshaw if I have to scan the skies manually.

The SETI site has a ton of cool addons to the program. I suggest you check it out!

Post Thanks / Like

Joined [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    <b>- Mike</b><br /><br />Next Trip: <br />---------------<br />October 2003

Post Thanks / Like

My bosses no longer allow me to talk to space aliens, especially after the 'Zapping The Weasel with Intergalactic Silly String' debacle

Had this on my work PC and they said to take it off, even though it causes no harm.

But I might set up my home PC [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    Make Friends With The Badger

imported_dpamac Guest

I'm still jealous of Jeff, who seems to be on a single-handed mission of personally proving the validity of Drake's Equation (N=R*fs*fp*ne*fl*fi*fc*L).

When will my stats update? I'm dying here! I've logged some great time with some data from Arecibo, but it's not showing up on the stats page.

Post Thanks / Like

I think your stats update when you complete a work unit... I could be wrong but I think that's when mine first started.
    John Y

-Abraham Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like a great idea. I will put it on my home computer when I get home [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    ~~The Brat~~

Adults are obsolete children. -- Dr. Seuss
    In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul.
    My reality has become warped!

Post Thanks / Like

When will my stats update? I'm dying here! I've logged some great time with some data from Arecibo, but it's not showing up on the stats page.
    There is a section in the SETI@Home FAQs, that indicates there could be a delay of up to a few days before credit is given, here's the link http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/faq.html
    <b>- Mike</b><br /><br />Next Trip: <br />---------------<br />October 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Like Gary I have 26 hours in, but I'm at big fat zero for units.. oh wait, Gary has 2 units.

Way to go Gary.

Jeff your making us look bad here. [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by JimmyC:
    [QB]My bosses no longer allow me to talk to space aliens, especially after the 'Zapping The Weasel with Intergalactic Silly String' debacle

Had this on my work PC and they said to take it off, even though it causes no harm.
    Just to show your appreciation, I think you should send them a couple of llamas for Christmas. Don't we have some marmosets that need looking after? Hmmm, just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Better hurry up and fire up your old 'puters! From what I hear, there gonna stop the SETI@home project come March 03'. But no worries. There are other projects in the works! I've been a member since Sept 2000 and have logged in a total of 120 units: In 1316 hr 41 min 36.8 sec Whoo hoo! Cable lines rule!!!

SETI@home
    1981: Disneyland Hotel
    1984: WDW Offsite
    1986: WDW Contemp.
    1991: WDW Offsite
    1993: WDW Offsite
    1995: WDW Offsite
    1999: WDW Offsite
    2002: WDW OKW
    2005 Wilderness Lodge: Disneymoon!! and 1st Dec Trip!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in too! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    I saw Worf last night (4 times thanks to bonus Trek Fridays, bless Ted's money grubbing little heart) does that count?

Post Thanks / Like

I just downloaded it. Cool.. you can get mesmirized just by watching it
    ~~The Brat~~

Adults are obsolete children. -- Dr. Seuss
    In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul.
    My reality has become warped!

Post Thanks / Like

Four hours later and I have almost 4 hours of CPU time! It's like getting credit and not going to class! I think I like this! [img]graemlins/silly.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

I make us look good...remember we are a team, and between us we all have about 1000 units!!!
    Keep up the good work!
    Here is the link for Seti Monitor:
    http://highstress.zrlm.com/setimon/
    Which is handy for those of us who have to dialup for our connections...this allows you to download several units at a time to process one after the other, then when done connect to send your results and get more units.
    I'd rather be@Walt Disney World :)<br />'04<br />&gt;12/17-24@AS:S,MVMCP<br />&gt;12/3-5@AS:S,MVMCP<br />10/22-24@PC,MNSSHP<br />10/8-10@AS:S,MNSSHP<br />8/1-6,9/10@DoI:N,9/11-12,9/26@DoI:BB<br />7/16-19@PC<br />7/2-5@AS:Mv<br />6/18-21@PC<br />1/1-4,1/16-18,5/4-11,6/5DoI:MI<br />42 days, so far@WDW in '04<br />&gt;586 days@WDW as of 1/1/4<br />'02)68 days@WDW+3 DoI:MI+MJ+Pr, MNSSHP, MVMCP<br />'02)65 days@WDW+1 DoI:Pr, MNSSHP, MVMCP<br />'01)53 days@WDW+1 D.onIce:TS2, MNSSHP, MVMCP<br />'00)36 days@WDW+MVMCP<br />'99)46 days@WDW+MVMCP<br />'72-'99)AS:Mu, DIx2, Poly x2, GF, C

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: