Quantcast Pin Etiquette

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Pin Etiquette

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Got a Pin Trading Brochure from WDW that had pin etiquette in it, so I thought that I would share...

</font>
    • Have fun!! Pin trading can be a great way to interact with and meet Cast Members and other guests.</font>
    • Pins should be in good, undamaged condition.</font>
    • Trade one pin at a time, hand to hand, with the backs attached.</font>
    • Guests may trade a maximum of two pins with each Cast Member.</font>
    • Please refrain from touching another person’s pins or lanyard. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] If you need a closer look, ask the person wearing the lanyard if they can bring it into clearer view for you.</font>
    • Certain pins should be traded as sets. If a single pin from a set does not complete the intended picture or statement alone, all pins in the set must be traded as one pin.</font>
    • Only Operating Participant pins that have a Disney or Walt Disney World® affiliation will be accepted for trading.</font>
    • “Name pins” may not be traded with Cast Members. This includes Disney name pins.</font>
    • When trading with Cast Members, guests should offer a pin that is not already displayed on the Cast Member’s lanyard.</font>
    • Guests may trade only one pin of the same style with a Cast Member.</font>
    • The general rule on what constitutes a tradable pin is that it is a metal Disney pin, and some certain Operating Participant pins, that represent a specific Disney Event, Place, or Location, Character, or Icon.</font>
    • Monies or gifts may not be exchanged or used in trade for a pin.</font>
    • In addition to the 12 pins on Cast Member lanyards, some Cast Members may wear a “Showcase” pin. These “Showcase” pins are for demonstrations to our guests and are not available for trade.</font>
    [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] Happy Trading!! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Tracey ºoº
    AKA Ðizneyana

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're BRAVER than you BELIEVE, and STRONGER than you SEEM, and SMARTER than you THINK" ~ Christopher Robin to Pooh

WDW - 2 times
    DLR - 400+ times
    Next up - ???

Are you D23?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting that Tracey. This summer I found it surprising that most CMs told me to keep my pin back when I was taking a pin off for trade and they kept their pin back. I thought maybe it was because the new screw type had just come out and they were keeping those so they wouldn't lose their pins. That's just a guess though.

Are they still doing the mystery pin trades now?
    Diane
    ~•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•~
    When your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme.

Post Thanks / Like

Usually the guest has a rubber back while a lot of the cast members' pins have metal backs. They tell you to keep yours so you have the better back. And some of them still do mystery pins.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen it the other way, too, where CM's will keep their rubber backings. I'm not sure what the deal is with that ...

Thanks for posting the etiquette, Tracey ! Good rules to live by !
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the list! I've usuallly encountered CMs to let me keep the rubber pin backs.
    Casey (aka DisneyWizard, Wizzy)

Post Thanks / Like

I was turned off of the pin trading by some adults literaly pushing kids out of the way to get to CM's. [img]graemlins/ack.gif[/img] I even had one Tell me I had to trade a Radio Disney pin I recived From my former boss as a gift. Please remember it was origionly for the Kids.

Thanks for posting those rules.
    Former Radio Disney Cast Member.<br /><br />"This is the thing I'm going to be remembered for." WED.<br /> "something could be built where parents & children could have fun together." WED.<br />Of course that idea turned into Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this topic a few days ago and I was intrigued by it. I work with pins A LOT. mostly every day. I kind of wanted to wait a couple of days to get my wording right on this topic.

I guess that the most annoying thing that happens to me when I wear a lanyard at work is people touching me. The ONLY thing that I ask when a cast member is wearing a lanyard is PLEASE dont touch them. I realize that guests may really want to see the pins fast so that no one else can get to them before them but this is an invasion of our personal space. I have even (nicely) asked guests not to touch me and they respond that as long as im in costume Im part of the "show" so I have to go along with whatever they want.

Its for this reason that most of the time I rarely will wear a lanyard anymore [img]graemlins/mixed.gif[/img] Its really kind of a downer for me because I really do love pins and I really do love pin trading. ESPECIALLY with the kids...nothing makes my day more than when I can see a kid's face light up because he/she has made his/her first trade.

About the shoving of kids comment that I read above. If I EVER see this happen (which I do) I politely refuse to trade with the person until I make sure that the kid is ok and that Ive traded with him/her first.

KiNg4aDaY
    WDW College Program May '03-January '04
    2006 - All Star Sports
    2013 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2016 - Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Wierd pin trading question...

I'm new to the pin trading thing, but I love every one of the pins that I have so far. Do you all buy pins especially for trading? Should I not wear pins unless I'm willing to trade them? Most every pin I own has some sort of special meaning to me, and I'd be loathe to part with any of them right now...but I felt very weird telling a CM that when she asked me about my pins. I felt bad saying that I didn't feel comfortable trading any of them.

This, to me, is part of the pin etiquette thing. And, BTW, I was totally surprised when the CM asked me in the first place because I felt that the CM trading was probably something they only did with the kids. It's great that they realize how fun it is for adults too, but I would hate to be the one to take a pin from a CM that might have made some child's trip to WDW more magical...

Anywho, maybe someone can help me with my pin problem...

-D
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Well, I kind of feel the same way about my pins as you do.. I started collecting them because I really liked the ones that I bought, and had no intention of parting with them.. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Therefore, before my last Disney trip, I bought some traders so that I could put them on my lanyard and not feel like a piece of me was being taken away when I traded one.. I know that I am probably going to have to start learning to get over that if I really want to get heavily into the trading aspect of pins.. [img]graemlins/mixed.gif[/img]

So, that would be my suggestion, is to buy some traders (perhaps even duplicates of ones that you love).. [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

Good luck!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    Tracey ºoº
    AKA Ðizneyana

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're BRAVER than you BELIEVE, and STRONGER than you SEEM, and SMARTER than you THINK" ~ Christopher Robin to Pooh

WDW - 2 times
    DLR - 400+ times
    Next up - ???

Are you D23?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Originally posted by minniedawg:
    Wierd pin trading question...

I'm new to the pin trading thing, but I love every one of the pins that I have so far. Do you all buy pins especially for trading? Should I not wear pins unless I'm willing to trade them? Most every pin I own has some sort of special meaning to me, and I'd be loathe to part with any of them right now...but I felt very weird telling a CM that when she asked me about my pins. I felt bad saying that I didn't feel comfortable trading any of them.

This, to me, is part of the pin etiquette thing. And, BTW, I was totally surprised when the CM asked me in the first place because I felt that the CM trading was probably something they only did with the kids. It's great that they realize how fun it is for adults too, but I would hate to be the one to take a pin from a CM that might have made some child's trip to WDW more magical...

Anywho, maybe someone can help me with my pin problem...

-D
    You should never feel pressured to trade a pin that you don't want to, especially one that has some significance to you. From my experience, most of the people wearing pins on a lanyard are interested in trading them... if there are pins that you want to wear but not trade, I'd suggest wearing them on your lapel (if feasible) or on your shirt instead.
    Rob

(Boy I've been gone for a while... good to be back, if even just briefly. :-D )

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by minniedawg:
    ...but I love every one of the pins that I have so far. Do you all buy pins especially for trading? Should I not wear pins unless I'm willing to trade them? Most every pin I own has some sort of special meaning to me, and I'd be loathe to part with any of them right now...
    I know exactly how you feel. I started pin trading back in 1999 and still to this day truly love the pins I have and don't want to trade them.

What I do is purchase duplicates of a few pins that I buy, like the Passholder Exclusives and special Opening pins, and then I can trade those to get other pins. Sometimes when I see a pin I like on a CM, I go over and buy a $6.50 pin just to trade.

I only think that I've traded one of my pins that I didn't have a duplicate of.

I have over 100 pins today, and still haven't taken my pin book to WDW once. Maybe one day I will.
    But just trade if you want to and buy what you like, and that way it will be much more fun for you.

Also...
    Originally posted by KiNg4aDaY:
    ...I have even (nicely) asked guests not to touch me and they respond that as long as im in costume Im part of the "show" so I have to go along with whatever they want...
    Though you can't say this to a guest, when they touch you, don't you just sometimes want to say to them "Well, if you would refer to point 5 of the Disney Pin Trading Etiquette..." and pull out a brochure to show them? That would be mean but kinda funny!
    Matthewºoº<br />Seasonal WDW CM<br />Tomorrowland Merchandise<br /><br />"If you can dream it, you can do it."<br /><br />I also agree with Janet and Ian: <b>NO BAD DANCING!!!</b><br /><br /><i>Anything I post on INTERCOT is subject to change without notice.</i><br /><br /><i>Please don't think I'm weird because I memorize Disney show scripts and safety spiels!</i><br /><br />Rover, don't interrupt while Sarah's interrupting! - <i>from Carousel of Progress</i><br /><br />Something you ate, sir? - <i>from the late Alien Encounter</i>

Post Thanks / Like

I'm about to be a cast member down in Disney and I'm looking forward to pin trading, even though I have no pins of my own. And I will find a way to refuse trading with the over-agressive adults who stomp on children to get to the pins first. And if they grab me - maybe I'll just pull out some emperor Kuzco and say "Woah! No Touchy!"

Jeremy
    Proud Movie Rider since 6/03
    "Everybody just sit tight.... Running a red light's against the law! And I'd NEVER break the law... hey kid - watch this! (Shoots out light) No more red light!
    Look out, the bank's gonna blow! YEEEEEEHAW!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Originally posted by Jeremy Wilcox:
    .... and say "Woah! No Touchy!"
    Works for me!! [img]graemlins/laughing.gif[/img]
    Tracey ºoº
    AKA Ðizneyana

WDW - 2 times
    DLR - 400+ times
    Next up - ???

Are you D23?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

*Bumping* for our new traders!!
    Tracey ºoº
    AKA Ðizneyana

WDW - 2 times
    DLR - 400+ times
    Next up - ???

Are you D23?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: