Quantcast Dr. Laura says don't take your kids out of school for WDW! - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Honestly, would one week off of school and spent at WDW make a drastic life change? No. It wouldn't. For one, some people can't afford the prices during the summer. Two, parents and kids don't usually have the same vacation times. Three, if you ask me (a high school student), I would benefit from a week off in WDW. When I came back to school I would be free of stress and wouldn't be so sick of school. You know? I think Dr. Laura forgot what real life is like.

------------------
    "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing -- that it was all started by a mouse." - Walt Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

what a great topic!
    I have no kids (i'm just 20!) but i guess it all depends on their feelings towards WDW. Is it going to be a "really great" experience, or do you already know they're going to live, breath and enjoy disney magic?
    are they complete disney fans as we are?

i took a week off college last year to visit Disneyland.when i came back i couldn't pick up a single book, disney magic was stuck in my head and heart and i couldn't think of anything else.
    it was really hard for me to continue with my studies because at the tiniest bit of silence i would listen to the "Believe there's magic in the stars" song in my head and couldn't get it out for nothing.
    i somehow made it to the end of the college year with good grades, but it was really hard.
    of course, school is completely different from college, and... of course, if this is the only time tou can take your family to WDW... go for it!

I just wanted to share my experience, disneyland really affected me!
    but i would do it again with no hesitation!

Carmen

------------------
    ~°O°~ Remember... just believe! ~°O°~

Post Thanks / Like

I had an experience with this topic when we planned our 99 trip. I actually had a worse experience with an elementary school.

Principal had OK'd the trip and told me not to worry that all of children were great kids and hardly ever missed school. This trip was important for it was the first trip I was able to make since my accident in 92.

It was planned so that the kids would miss 10 days of school out of our 17 day trip. All of their make up work was done prior to our leaving.

A teacher (grade 4) informed my daughter's class the day before we left that she must think she is a Princess because she wouldn't be at school she would be at Disney World. Needless to say I went nuts. My daughter (just like her mother ) informed her teacher that she (the teacher) should take a trip to WDW that way her heart would be filled with happy thoughts any maybe her wishes would come true with some extra pixie dust from Tinker Bell! The principal called to tell me what happened and he couldn't stop laughing. Told us to go and have a wonderful time.

Upon returning the same teacher tried to start again by asking my daughter what she had learned while she was at WDW. DD spent an entire afternoon explaining all the things she had learned throughout the trip. The children in her class commented on how my daughter had learned so much more in the 10 days that she missed then they had.

I opinion is that parents know their children the best and can make the best decisions for them.

------------------
    Cher (aka TheSorcererofFantasia)

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

What does Dr. Laura say about teachers missing school for a trip to WDW?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like

I have to disagree with LittleSpirit02 in saying "Honestly, would one week off of school and spent at WDW make a drastic life change" - I think it makes a huge difference! A huge positive difference. I take my daughter every year, and it ALWAYS has a HUGE POSITIVE effect on her - WAY MORE than staying in school for that length of time ever does. I think schools should REQUIRE trips to WDW! How do you like THEM (sic) apples?

------------------
    I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.
    Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I think Dr Laura has this holyier than thou attitude and I couldn't care less what she has to say about me taking my kid out of school for a week in March for WDW! Kids are kids for a short time and family trip memories will last a lifetime for my 12 year old! Its alot more meaningful than what she will miss that one week of 6th grade. I agree on keeping up on homework and missed work, but She'll being having such a blast being a KID it will be worth it.
    Life is to short, especially your childhood....

------------------

Post Thanks / Like

I am a parent who takes her children out of school each November for a trip to Disney. I inform the teachers verbally and in writing at least 30 days prior (actually they are at the point now where if my childs name is on their roster at the beginning of the year, they know it's coming!). I am very involved with my kids schooling, volunteering, PTA, etc. When I plan my trips, I make it the least disruptive. I never take my kids out of school for more than 3 days (I piggy back on school days off). I make an agreement with the teachers that my children make up all work missed which we do promptly.

So far, the teachers have not had a problem with us taking these trips. They believe they are educational, fun, etc. They also encourage the children to write journals so that they can read parts to the class when they return. My children do this faithfully every day while at Disney (plenty to write about PLUS this makes a great memory for future years). They leave room for pictures and the journals come out quite nice. We also buy a Disney treat for the class upon return.

So, for us it is worth it. However, I must admit that this is probably our last year going in November. My oldest will be in Middle School next year and I'm not sure how this schedule will pan out. We may try going in Feb or Apr vacation as a test.

I hope this helps.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like

I'll respond, first as a life-time teacher, principal, and now educational school improvement consultant/college educator, and then as a parent.

As a principal and teacher, I always found it hard to have kids gone. HOWEVER, my guiding principal was GOD, FAMILY, then SCHOOL. I never questioned kids being gone for truly church related reasons. I supported true family activities (when the whole family was involved - not a group of kids going to a rock concert 500 miles away). There is a wealth of experience to learn outside of school and not everyone has the pleasure of taking their vacations during the summer months. I would certainly hope that you wouldn't do this type of thing 2 or 3 times a year or even necessarily every year for a long period, because it is extra work for teachers, but my advice is GO.

Now from a parent point of view. I took (well their parents did) two of my nieces out of school the last two days to go with us on a trip to WDW a number of years ago. They hadn't been before and probably wouldn't ever get to go. One teacher objected and failed my niece in an English class because he didn't agree with it, even though the school approved her absence! When asked what he did those two days - watched a movie and collected books! My two nieces got to see and do things that reinforced their learning (how wonderful EPCOT is) saw the ocean for the first time, flew for the first time, saw Kennedy Space Center, and met a great uncle they had never met before (who died shortly thereafter). I have to beleive that this was a valuable experience.

Now for all you teachers out there...

I NEVER supported absences for work, rock concerts, shopping trips, hair do's, senior pictures, etc. etc. etc., but I do believe that family experiences are EXTREMELY important and should be supported.

------------------
    Honor the past, challenge the present, plan for the future
    WDW 76, 92,93,95,95,96,97,98,99,2000,2000, planning June 2001 at Shades of Green

[This message has been edited by TCLites (edited February 23, 2001).]

Post Thanks / Like

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheSorcererofFantasia:
    I had an experience with this topic when we planned our 99 trip. I actually had a worse experience with an elementary school.

Principal had OK'd the trip and told me not to worry that all of children were great kids and hardly ever missed school. This trip was important for it was the first trip I was able to make since my accident in 92.

It was planned so that the kids would miss 10 days of school out of our 17 day trip. All of their make up work was done prior to our leaving.

A teacher (grade 4) informed my daughter's class the day before we left that she must think she is a Princess because she wouldn't be at school she would be at Disney World. Needless to say I went nuts. My daughter (just like her mother ) informed her teacher that she (the teacher) should take a trip to WDW that way her heart would be filled with happy thoughts any maybe her wishes would come true with some extra pixie dust from Tinker Bell! The principal called to tell me what happened and he couldn't stop laughing. Told us to go and have a wonderful time.

Upon returning the same teacher tried to start again by asking my daughter what she had learned while she was at WDW. DD spent an entire afternoon explaining all the things she had learned throughout the trip. The children in her class commented on how my daughter had learned so much more in the 10 days that she missed then they had.

I opinion is that parents know their children the best and can make the best decisions for them.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah! Go little kid!

------------------
    Tommy
    °o°

WDW Cast Member
    Epcot Entertainment
    College Recruiting

Post Thanks / Like

I must say that this topic really interested me since we're going to take our child out of school in September to go to WDW. I've already talked to the principal about it and he is 100% behind us. He told me that nothing will replace the value of being with family. Granted, my son will only be in 1st grade, but I've already thought of an educational idea for him to work on while we are gone. I think most principals and teachers would rather parents be involved in their childrens' lives, which is far more important to a child's well-being.

Thanks for all your helpful comments. Makes me a little relieved to know there are so many others that have done this!!!

------------------
    "With all due respect Your Rottenness, couldn't we just wait for a real storm?"

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

What do you think your kids will remember more fondly 20 years from now? What they did in school that week or their wonderful family vacation to WDW? I believe that there is more to learning and life experience than having perfect attendance records at school. My parents took me out of school on occasion when I was growing up and I've never suffered because of that.

You know your kids best, not Dr. Laura.

------------------
    Now is the time, now is
    the best time...

singermom4 Guest

Not a fan of Dr. Laura but have a few thoughts on this subject. First, it seems that there isn't very much of a low crowd season so avoiding the crowds would not seem a good reason to take kids out of school. Also, it is possible to stay at very reasonable hotels off-site so cost doesn't seem to a good reason either. While I am all for making family memories, school should be a priority and trips should be made during breaks if possible. Certainly there are exceptions - e.g. trips where scheduling time off is difficult. My parents did take me out of school in 6th grade and while it certainly didn't hurt my schoolwork, it made me feel uncomfortable (I also missed a very important sex education lesson that week - yeah, the lesson). I would ask your kids what their preference is - you might be surprised at their answer!
    I just think that with all the vacation time available for kids, taking them off school really should be a last resort.

------------------
    Singermom4
    1st trip - April '76
    2nd trip - August '83 (met husband to be)
    3rd trip - May '93 (5th anniversary)
    4th trip - March '01

piget Guest

Our parents took my sister and I out of school for two weeks every other year (sometimes overlapping Easter vac, sometimes not). The memories of our family Disney/Florida vac. are something I will always cherish - especially so after my father passed away a few years ago.

My parents always gave the teachers notice way ahead and made sure we completed our assignments. We were never that far behind and if we were it didn't take long to catch up.

Alot of people have already alluded to this - but there are alot of different types of learning experiences - not just in the classroom. The time I spent away from the classroom - seeing the country ( we travelled by camper), spending time with family, experiencing different sights and people - it was all way more than I could have ever gained in two weeks in a classroom!

I think this just shows that no matter how much of an "expert" anyone claims to be - parents can certainly take the advice given - but, in the end, what they really need to do is to ask themselves first and foremost what is best for them and their families - and listen to what their own heart and head is telling them to do.

------------------
    "...the Enchanted Place is right where you are, and if you're Friendly With Bears, you can find it."

?68-visitor's/preview center
    72-Fort Wilderness
    76-Fort Wilderness
    91-Caribbean Beach(honeymoon)
    94-Caribbean Beach
    Sept 2000-Treehouse Villas at Inst(my 2 1/2yr old daughter's 1st trip!!)

[This message has been edited by piget (edited February 27, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by piget (edited February 27, 2001).]

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I e-mailed this thread to my sister yesterday that I talked about in the very first post. She said we're all biased because we're Disney fanatics and this is a Disney site. She said I should post this same question on a parent's board (there are many) where the people aren't obsessed with Disney. She's positive I'd get many, many more disapprovals there than here.

------------------
    Barbruka 74,77,82,87,95, offsite
    99 DXL
    Next trip Sept. 2001

"I am there everyday in my heart and in my memories."

[This message has been edited by Barbruka (edited February 27, 2001).]

bradleysnana Guest

I am a Disney lover and perhaps I am a little biased. However, I have taken my children out of school to take other trips in addition to Disney. I believe that learning is not just based in a classroom. As long as my child is not having problems in school, as long as the school allows it to be excused and the work can be made up, I think it is wonderful. This is especially true before high school. High school is a little harder to catch up because of the number of classes. For the elementary and middle school student, I believe seeing things they have only read about is very important. My children have missed some portion of school each year. They have been to California, Hawaii, Disney, and other asst places. I always told the teachers upfront and classwork has to be done while we are gone. My children are now grown and I have grandkids. I will do the same thing with my grandkids (Mom has already ok's the idea). I do not think I would be a very good home school teacher. But I do like the concept of learning outside the book. If you home school, you have the ability to take your children and see the things they have been reading about.

------------------
    Nana to Brad and Alex
    M-I-C (see ya real soon) K-E-Y (why, because we like you) M o u s e

Becky (aka Bradleysnana)
    Intercot Staff
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I took my daughter out of school for a trip to Disney World on 2/02 thru 2/11 with the full support of her teacher. We took a lot of homework with us and she journaled the whole trip for her class. I would take her out again next year without hesitation as long as I had the support of her teacher. My daughter is an outstanding student who worked very hard before, during and after this trip so as not to miss anything in school. Also there really is an off season and she got to meet people from all over the country and other countries as well, and had more opportunities than are possible during high season. To sum up - It was the right decision for us and will be again in the future.

------------------

Saratoga County, New York/Polk County, Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry

This school year our my kids school administration banned giving kids homework to take on vacation. The offical policy is they have to make it up AFTER they get back. They also started a new classification for absences. Now on their report cards there are two: Days absent(sick) & Illegal absent(vacation/doctor/dentist/etc).

The Principal lives across the street from us. When we try to discuss with him, he says he does not discuss work at home & call him at his office. When we call the office, he never calls back. Always "in a meeting".

My sons teacher hinted as to which books to take with him. My daughters teacher refused to give any homework prior. When they got back, they got a list of makeup work to do. My sons was reasonable. The teacher sent a note saying to take his time and not to try to do it all at once. My daughter's list was VERY long and included an assembly where the class watched the second graders put on a play! How the H**l is she to make that very important class up? My daughters teacher kept sending notes listing what hadn't been done yet and MUST be done.

------------------
    Don ....... WDW, been there, done that. Going back!......8 trips and counting!!

Offsite 4/90
    Beach Club 1/95
    Wilderness Lodge 1/97
    Contemporary 1/98 & 1/99
    Polynesian 12/99
    Dixie Landings 2/00
    Carribean Beach 12/00

Upcoming:
    Villas at Wilderness Lodge: 11/01 & 1/02

[This message has been edited by DonLefNY (edited February 28, 2001).]

piget Guest

How can I put this nicely - these people need to remember that they work for you! - and in your child's best interest! I fail to see how these games they are playing fit either criterion! Sounds like some people can't handle a little power. I really feel for you and you kids!

------------------
    "...the Enchanted Place is right where you are, and if you're Friendly With Bears, you can find it."

?68-visitor's/preview center
    72-Fort Wilderness
    76-Fort Wilderness
    91-Caribbean Beach(honeymoon)
    94-Caribbean Beach
    Sept 2000-Treehouse Villas at Inst(my 2 1/2yr old daughter's 1st trip!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Im on my way out the door to Band and to work on my College Program application...just wanted to post a note and say that "I THINK DR. LAURA IS AN IDIOT."

Sorry if you disagree...but thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life. She needs to get over it.

Jordan

------------------
    Walt Disney World Summer/Fall College Program 2001 site:

http://members3.boardhost.com/WDWCPSummer2001/

Im a summer applicant...write me and wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:O)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: