Quantcast Fly or drive from VA?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm seriously considering planning a trip to WDW at the end of August. I keep making the excuse that we should spend the $ to pay off some debts, but... The way I see it, we will ALLWAYS be in debt. If I keep using that as an excuse we'll never go. Besides, this might be the last chance for DH and I to go alone (Hoping to bring home a little souvenier [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] )and the discount right now is such a STEAL!

So from Southeastern VA, I'm deciding if it would really be that bad of a drive. Flying would be so much easier, but expensive. Driving would really only save us about $200---Is it really worth it? I KNOW it makes more sense to fly, but I just cant help but feel like I should be more thrifty.

Somebody talk me into it.
    I'm finally going back! Next trip: July 16-22, 2006!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

From Virginia, it's still quite a long drive. The cost of gas is not the only consideration in the equation. You have the cost of wear & tear on your vehicle, tolls, and meals on the road. I'd fly if at all possible!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I am all for driving. We drive from Bucks County Pennsylvania. We leave around 3:00am an drive for 15 hours. Stop at Daytona so my son can see Daytona USA. It is a nice ride; both kids really behaved. We found a hotel room in Daytona for under $100.00. There are advantages to both but I prefer the drive. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Contemporary 1975 - Contemporary 1984
    Disney Inn 1987 - Polynesian 1997
    Polynesian 2000 - Polynesian 2002
    Polynesian 2003 - Saratoga Springs 2004
    Saratoga Springs 2005
    Beach Club Villas - August 2006
    Boardwalk Villas - August 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Virginia also and have done both - driven and flown. I prefer to fly only because it is quicker to get there. The one time we drove, the trip down was long, but OK. We did it in 2 days and the anticipation kept us going. The trip back was another story. It was very long because we were tired and 14 hours in the car was exhausting. DH does not like to stop unless it is to eat or get gas!
    We also prefer to fly because we get in early in the day and leave late in the evening so we can get 2 extra days at Disney (first and last) and that to me is a good enough reason to fly!

Post Thanks / Like

i vote fly, we are from northern va and i have done both. i think the cost of the airline tickets is totally worth saving the 14+ hours in the car and all that goes with that. i think i would drive only if its going to be a really long stay at disney, so you don't feel cheated out of your vacation time.
    September 2004: CBR...dodging Hurricanes successfully!
    September 2005: CBR again and again dodging Hurricanes with success!
    September 2006: AKL, our honeymoon, just awesome!
    September 2007: POR, anniversary celebration! was awesome:)
    December 2012: First trip with the 4 year old, yay:)

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

If you drive, you have the advantage of having your car with you. That's a biggie if you are off site. If you are on site, with the exception of MK, you will get to the parks quicker by car . . . plus you can get around to the other activities (DTD, water parks or golf) easier.

Post Thanks / Like

We live in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia and have driven and flown. It is a long and tiresome drive and there is nothing like jumping off of the airplane and being able to spend the rest of the day at the pool relaxing. I am actually a nerous flyer, but I brave it just so we don't have that long and tiresome drive. You can really get some good fares to FL. I would check it out.
    2012 MNSSHP
    2012 Tokyo Disneyland
    2012 Hong Kong Disneyland
    2012 WDW
    2011 Disneyland
    2011 WLV
    2009 WLV
    2007 SSV
    2005 WLV & AKL
    2003 Beach Club Villas/Grand Floridian
    2002 Wilderness Lodge
    2001 Dixie Landings
    2000 All Star Resort
    1999 Disneyland
    1998 Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

My family and I used to fly, then my dad wanted to drive the last two times we went as a family from Toms River, NJ. It was exciting on the way down b/c you had something to look forward to. The ride back is not so fun b/c all you have to look forward to is coming home, back to reality. And I was only a kid then. I can't imagine what it must be like being the driver now. Plus I agree with faline that the gas price, tolls, meals alone might end up costing you more than the $200 you'd save (depending on your vehicle and family preferences). I'd fly.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

My preference is to drive from Northern VA. It's all about timing to escape the DC area and make good enough time to miss the Richmond traffic.

I always leave EARLY in the AM and only stop for the necessities, gas, rest-stops and an occasional burger. (I won't tell you my best time, but suffice to say less than 12 hrs. I'm a true marathon driver!)

I fly ONLY if I have to, or someone else is paying for it.
    Cathy in Northern VA
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

2005 - ASM
    2005 - Disneyland
    2004 - DCL - Wonder
    2004 - Coronado Springs
    2003 - CBR
    2002 - POFQ & ASM
    2001 - CBR
    2001 - Disneyland
    2000 - Coronado Springs
    1999/8/7 - Fort Wilderness (RV)
    1986 - Off-Site
    1959 - Disneyland!

Post Thanks / Like

I would drive this way you don't have to rent a car. You have to add the cost of a rental car to flying as well.

Another option is taking the Auto Train.
    It leaves from Lorton Va and arrives in Sanford Fl. Lorton is a little south of Dc and Sanford is about a 30 minute drive from Disney.

You take your car with you. the train leaves at 4:00 PM and arrives the next morning in Sanford Fl at 8:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice! Will we really need a car while we're there? I've never stayed at the value resorts, so I don't really know how much we'll miss the car.

I'm pretty sure we're going to fly, if we can manage to go at all. DH doesnt think we should. Hmm. As a matter of fact, I think I'll post a poll on this subject.
    I'm finally going back! Next trip: July 16-22, 2006!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by CLJ in VA:
    My preference is to drive from Northern VA. It's all about timing to escape the DC area and make good enough time to miss the Richmond traffic.

I always leave EARLY in the AM and only stop for the necessities, gas, rest-stops and an occasional burger. (I won't tell you my best time, but suffice to say less than 12 hrs. I'm a true marathon driver!)

I fly ONLY if I have to, or someone else is paying for it.
    Cathy----do you take 95 all the way or is there a shorter way? I am also contemplating driving from Baltimore and I don't want to hit the rush hour traffic either. I won't ask your time 'cuz it would probably scare me, being an EMS provider and all, but I am looking for a fast way there.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

We have done both.The last few years we have flown.I keep checking the prices and right now driving is looking much better even though it is many hours more.
    When we drove we tried to get the majority of the trip behind us so when we got up the next morning we could get there early.Once we got there we never used our car.
    1990-2000=20+
    2001 - Con
    2002 - Poly
    2003 - Con
    2004 - Poly
    2004 - Poly
    2005 - Poly
    2006 - Poly CL
    2007 - Poly CL
    2008 - Bdwlk Villas
    2008 - GF, Club Level
    2009 - Poly, CL
    2010 - Sept. BCV
    2011 - May BCV
    2011 - Nov. Poly
    2012 - May Beach Club Villas
    2012 - Sept Beach Club Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Googlie Bear:
    Will we really need a car while we're there? I've never stayed at the value resorts, so I don't really know how much we'll miss the car.
    Whether you want a car or not is a matter of personal preference. I can say that, even when we've had a car available to us, it has for the most part sat in the parking lot, unused and ignored! We generally always use Disney transportation which we find to be quite efficient and just part of the Disney trip experience!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We've drove a couple of times from Kentucky with small kids and it didn't bother them a bit. Since
    Kentucky and Virginia are close to Each other it might be a very easy trip for you and your family. [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]
    1998 CBR<br />2001 CBR<br />2003 WL<br />2004 WL<br />2005 Wl <br />Back in '06

Post Thanks / Like

Cathy----do you take 95 all the way or is there a shorter way? I am also contemplating driving from Baltimore and I don't want to hit the rush hour traffic either. I won't ask your time 'cuz it would probably scare me, being an EMS provider and all, but I am looking for a fast way there.
    I've driven from Owings Mills a number of times, and I prefer it to flying. It's about 1000 miles from here, so if you get any decent gas mileage at all it's no more than 3 fillups, so approx. $70 in gas each way. I-95 straight down to I-4 is the best way, but I'd take the spurs around Richmond and Jacksonville if it looks good and especially if you happen to hit those areas near rush hour. You're going to have traffic no matter what you do though unless you plan to drive overnight.

I don't think you can factor in food costs here, because you have to eat anyway and it's going to be more expensive to eat at Disney.

As for car wear and tear... I'd prefer wearing out my car to wearing out myself with the stress and rigors of dealing with TSA, boarding, baggage claim, etc. That to me is more exhausting. Plus, as others have said, you have the freedom and luxury of your own car while you're there.
    Early 1980's sometime - Offsite
    ... large hazy period ...
    01/99 - AS Music
    01/01 - AS Movies
    01/02 - AS Sports/AKL
    09/02 - Disneyland PARIS
    01/03 - Contemporary
    04/03 - Fort Wilderness
    01/04 - Offsite :(
    03/05 - CBR
    09/05 - Beach Club
    12/05 - OKW
    04/06 - OKW
    09/07 - CBR
    12/11 - PO:FQ

Post Thanks / Like

I live in central VA and we are flying to WDW in November. The Charlottesville airport is 5 minutes from our house and is very convenient. And with 4 kids -- much easier than being in a car for such a long drive. We have a 6am flight, switch in NC, and arrive in FL at 10am.
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good point that I forgot to mention. It's just me and the wife... so no antsy kid issues when driving. Your mileage will vary of course.
    Early 1980's sometime - Offsite
    ... large hazy period ...
    01/99 - AS Music
    01/01 - AS Movies
    01/02 - AS Sports/AKL
    09/02 - Disneyland PARIS
    01/03 - Contemporary
    04/03 - Fort Wilderness
    01/04 - Offsite :(
    03/05 - CBR
    09/05 - Beach Club
    12/05 - OKW
    04/06 - OKW
    09/07 - CBR
    12/11 - PO:FQ

Post Thanks / Like

I'm from NC, and we always drive. It helps that we also have relatives about an hour from Orlando, so we get the benefit of visiting with them as well. Also, I really do not like to fly, so its never really been considered.

Normally we do the drive in one day, but for our upcoming trip, we will be leaving after work and stopping in Savannah overnight so we will get to Disney during the day - and rested!

But unless you have a good reason to drive (like me) you are probably just as well off to fly, especially if the money breaks even, or just about
    Beth

Past WDW trips:
    '83 - Contemporary
    '99 - Grad Night, offsite
    '03 - Day trip MK
    '04 - Day trip MK
    '05 - Poly LVC; POFQ Christmas trip
    '06 - Poly
    '08 - Poly
    '09 - POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

FLY_FLY_FLY!!!!! We live in VA too and went down in March with the kids. You arrive refreshed and ready to go. My mother in law drove down and met us and she said never again. It took her 3 hours longer than it should have because of traffic.
    -Numerous trips as a child-stayed offsite<br />-March 2005/All Star Movies<br />-April 2006/Wilderness Lodge

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: