Quantcast Airtravel to WDW with my child

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question

[img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] We are going to be flying from MI to FL and my 6 year old son has shown some concerns.. He has asked if there are any BIG buildings in FL? (Having has seen the 9-11 footage) He has asked "what if the plane runs out of gas?" and "What if we crash?" I have tried to reassure him , but I am worried that we will get to the airport and he will cry. Are there any books or videos or ideas that can calm him? I thought of taking a trip to the airport just to watch take offs and landings but that is not possible since 9-11. Any ideas?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to INTERCOT!

I'm sorry your son is apprehensive about flying.

I did a search and couldn't find anything specifically about addressing a child's fears about flying, but I did find this book which might help.

I also found a web-site that you might take a look at called fearless-flight.com

I would definitely plan on taking a lot of things to keep him entertained on the plane - preferably some new things too so it's not something he's bored with.

You might also talk to your son's doctor to see if there is anything he could take before the flight to help with the fear - I know several adults that go this route.

Good luck!
    Rhonda

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest you contact a local public airport - the kind that handles small private planes. Many have a flying school or flying club that would be happy to give you and your son a tour of the airport and a plane. Once he sees all the gadgets they have and hears about all the safety rules, he may feel better.
    WDW Visitor since 1973, DVC member since 2000

Post Thanks / Like

try to keep him busy and have him show that the way to get to wdw is by plane and it is so fun. it is flying like the birds. colors, games, food, anything to keep his mind off the flight. even for to be cool tell him that you can buy headphones and be like the adults and let him listen to the movie or what is on when in the plane. My DS age 6 gets cars sick quite easly so what I have done so he does not get sick in the plane is to give him dramaine and this alleviates any anxitites for him about possible getting sick in front of people and after 10 min on the plane he is asleep. and then the sickness does not come. just keep him busy at the airport and on the plane and everything will be ok. let him talk to the check in counter like an adult, let him hand them the ticket like an adult, let him talk to the pilot and attendents and make sure he gets his wings and I do not think that it may not be bad and will be very enjoyable.

Post Thanks / Like

Janelle, Welcome to Intercot! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

I'm sorry your son is apprehensive about the flight! Rhonda had some great ideas about resources for you!

Is there an area close to the airport where you can watch planes taking off and/or landing? That might help. Are their any other children your son knows who have flown recently who can tell him about their trip and how much fun they had on the plane?

I'd also suggest sharing your concerns (privately) with the airline crew. They might be able to help as well.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Janelle - what about also buying hime a few plane toys to play with. My nephew is about the same age and he loves Jay Jay the Jet plane, a tv show about planes. Getting him excited about planes might help ease his fears.
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Post Thanks / Like

Great topic - great suggestions from everyone!
    My kids (4 & 6) have both been flying since before they were 1, so I can't give any specifics for a 6 year old's first time. We do, however, fly very prepared! Some suggestions to pass the time:
    1. If you're not on JetBlue or Song, consider a mini-DVD player. You can hook up headphones, and it passes the time nicely. Both JetBlue and Song have built in TV's with satellite feeds.
    2. Books - helps me when I read to my kids.
    3. Small travel games (Connect 4 & Hungry Hippo come in travel sized versions).
    4. Gameboy, or Nintendo DS - talk about passing time quickly!
    5. Small (1/2 pint) water bottles if ears pop.
    6. Sugarless gum for ear problems.
    7. Benadryl (for emergency allergic reactions) and other meds (Children's Tylenol/Advil).
    8. Candy - I know it's bad, but it can make a huge difference on the flight.
    I know these can't alleviate the fears associated with flying, but they do help once you're airborne!
    Good luck and have a safe trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Our sons took their first flight from WI to FL last June - they were 6 & 3.

Let me say that I absolutely HATE to fly - so much that I need to medicate with a prescription drug before flying. I did NOT want my nervousness to affect our sons.

They asked a lot of questions before we left and we took time to go visit the airport and watch planes take off & land. If we'd see a plane in the air we'd play a game asking where they thought that plane was going.

Turns out we had nothing to be afraid of -- they both LOVED flying ! Takeoff was their favorite. They colored, watched a DVD, ate some snacks, and read a book. Then it was time to land & they loved looking out the window.
    Amanda
    Wishes. Dreams. Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

My 6 year old niece asked similar questions years ago. She asked if airplanes ever crash, and I had to admit they do sometimes, but I told her how may times I had flown, her grandparents had flown, etc., and that it just wasn't likely at all. She even asked what would happen if one of the engines broke. When told there were two, she asked what if both broke! She seemed satisfied with reassurances that such bad things were not at all likely to happen. I think it helps to play up how fun it is to fly, to look down at the clouds, etc., and to make clear neither you nor the wimpiest person the child knows (usually grandmothers!) are worried about flying. I also warn about the noises to expect - you'll hear a bump when the wheels go up, etc. I think your child will take her cue from you about whether to worry and be afraid, or be excited.

Post Thanks / Like

Be happy that your child is asking the questions prior to your flight. My DS asked these questions during takeoff, while flying and prior to landing. I could see how happy all of the other passengers where with me trying to answer all of the what if we crash questions. I have found that books, gameboys chewing gum and trying to make a game out of the flight made the flying experience easier for my DS.
    Up Next
    15 Disney Hilton Head Jul 5 - Jul 7
    15 Disney Dream Jul 1 - Jul 5
    15 Beach Club Jun 27- Jul 1
    14 Dolphin Resort Jun 12-16
    13 Fort Wilderness Christmas Dec 20- Dec 26

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Does your child have a Gameboy? If not this might be the time to buy one (many used ones are cheaper) and if you already own one, suprise him at the airport with a new game for it. The Gameboy is a great distraction and keeps my boys occuppied during the flight. In fact, it has kept me occuppied a few flights as well (we own several).
    Another good electronic toy is the Leapster by V-tech- has learning games and is portable.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Ah yes, this trip we'll be bringing the Gameboys . . . left them at home last trip They would've come in handy even on the ride from the airport to WDW.

It's a good idea about surprising them with a new game at the airport. I'll have to add that to my "to do" list.

[ March 29, 2005, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Momof2boys ]
    Amanda
    Wishes. Dreams. Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Thank you so much for your ideas and suggestions. Several I had not even considered. I will use many of these ideas. I did go to our public library and got a few books and I am on a waiting list to get some kids videos about their first flight. While reading to him he asked me "Are the twin towers real or was that just a movie?" (UUGG!) He is very couious little boy. I had tried many sites for ideas and this one helped me the most!! Thanks again!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: