Quantcast What kind of shoes do you wear to Disney?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I am on a quest to get the perfect pair of shoes this year for our trip. Whether it is sneakers or walking shoes, or those expensive Birkenstocks. What does everyone recommend?
    I always end up going homme with at least one blister or aching tired feet. Any suggestions?

------------------
    Next trip-November
    200 days and counting

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

I don't think there's anything you can do or wear to prevent aching, tired feet at Disney World other than to use a wheelchair...then you're likely to have an aching, tired posterior!

I've tried many different types of shoes over the years and have found that a good walking sneaker type shoe works best for me. Cotton socks (with a spare change in case of wet feet) seem to prevent the blisters. You may want to consider buying the "support" type athletic socks...they work wonders! A bit more expensive, but worth it, IMHO.

Of course, there's still no guarantee that any of this will help...but it's fun trying. If it doesn't work this time, you'll have to go back to the World again to try something else.

------------------
    Next visit: Very soon!

"A dream can be a dream come true, with just that spark in me and you..."

PolyGirl40 Guest

Cool

I suspect this will be moved to the Vacation Planning forum but, I'll answer here anyhow

I do not come home with blisters or any yuckies due to over-worked feet...I am an avid walker, so I'm sure that has something to do with it...

I can not agree more in reference to the socks!..Good athletic socks make a world of difference & "walking" shoes are the key!...

They are designed for doing just that..I have a fantastic pair of Easy Spirit & New Balance sneakers..They are very expensive but you don't end up with blisters...

You mentioned Birkenstock...Buy them!..Your feet will be so thankful..A little piece of tootsie heaven...I take mine along...When we get back to the resort mid day the sneaks come off and the sandals go on..It really helps to change your footwear...

Invest the additional money...I really does matter..Pamper your feet..You'll love the rewards..

------------------
    ~Carol
    "To get to the rainbow, you have to put up with the rain."

Cast Your Vote For Intercot Today!

Post Thanks / Like

And we all know how PolyGirl40 pampers her feet

Also agree with the socks. Bad/wet socks lead to blisters.

And NEVER break in a new pair of shoes at WDW. Have them broken in before leaving.

Me and my wife are also avid walkers. I've tried every type of shoe, and found that sometimes paying more is better, but not always. Nike, no matter what type, hurt my feet. I've had better luck with cheap shoes.

I currently use Etonic. Great value, and they've outlasted many of the top-price shoes. And they seem to form to my mutant feet.

------------------
    Silly String is not a toy

Post Thanks / Like

We have always gotten a new pair of shoes for our trips- BUT a few months in advance so that they are worn in by the time we actually start our trip. No special kind- just comfy tennis shoes. Next trip I will have to try the special walking shoes. On the subject to sweaty feet, baby powder or the like could help. If your shoes are worn in- not worn out!- I don't see a problem. Sure there is a lot of walking, but it never bothered me. (We'll see once I go with 3 kids!)

------------------
    Jennie
    1st trip, 12/82
    Kids: Nathan 10/13/97
    1st trip, 4/98
    Nataleigh 10/04/01
    Hasn't Been Yet!
    #3 Due 10/02/01
    Definately going next time the rest of us do!

TiggerRPh Guest

Cool

The important thing is to wear comfortable shoes that fit well.

We had a interesting discussion in Vacation Planning a while ago :

Maybe this will help.

------------------
    ...the most wonderful things about Tiggers, is I'm the only one.

Ray(aka TiggerRPh)
    Intercot Staff : Disney & Orlando Dining; The Water Cooler

[This message has been edited by TiggerRPh (edited April 27, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by TiggerRPh (edited April 27, 2001).]

PolyGirl40 Guest

Red face

That thread is fairly recent Ray

------------------
    ~Carol
    "To get to the rainbow, you have to put up with the rain."

Cast Your Vote For Intercot Today!

TiggerRPh Guest

Cool

Drat....typed in the wrong URL, now I tried to fix it and messed it up....

Well, let's try again :

http://www.intercot.com/boards/Forum6/HTML/002404.html

That should get you to the right thread...YIKES....boy do I look stupid!!

------------------
    ...the most wonderful things about Tiggers, is I'm the only one.

Ray(aka TiggerRPh)
    Intercot Staff : Disney & Orlando Dining; The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I wear a pair of well broken in sneakers (trainers to me )
    I dont get sore feet, i get sore knees (go figure)

------------------
    Amy AKA Fantasmic
    Intercot Staff-Disney Trivia
    [email protected]

Why not stop by the TRIVIA boards to test those Disney brain cells

"Let your Disney magic shine"- Amy
    "Are the powers of Mickey's incredible imagination strong enough and bright enough, to withstand the evil forces that invade Mickey's dreams? You are about to find out. For we now invite you to join Mickey, and experience Fantasmic! -- a journey beyond your wildest imagination".-Fantasmic

Scar: Oh Zazu, do lighten up. Sing something with a little... bounce in it.
    Zazu: It's a small world after all...
    Scar: No! No. Anything but that!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Why don't you visit Intercot's sister sites
    WebDisney
    Intercot West

Post Thanks / Like

Birkenstocks
    no socks
    No Blisters
    You will LOVE them.
    They aren't that expensive, you can get a
    pair for about $100

------------------
    Say "WHAT" Again!

Post Thanks / Like

I wear a simple pair of Reef sandals. They stay on my feet and don't feel weird when they get wet. And they're the most comfy shoes I own. And if at last minute you decide to get a pair, they're only $25 in adventureland.

------------------
    Rob
    WDW Cast Member
    MK Parade Entertainment

"Please stand clear of doors, por favor mantenganse alejados de las puertas. The monorail will be departing NOW!"
    -WDW Monorail Spiel

"Can you know the mighty ocean? Can you lasso a star from the sky? Can you say to a rainbow, 'Hey! Stop being a rainbow for a second?' NO!!! Such is Mango"
    "Why must I be Mango? Why I ask? Why God, why? Why can't I be someone normal like John Ritter?"
    -Chris Kattan as Mango, SNL

"While I said goodbye to the MSEP, my back said Good Riddance. Yet while I said hello to SpectroMagic, my back said.. hurry up, before the MSEP returns!!!"
    -me and my back, 4/1/01

Post Thanks / Like

Yes.. this is one of those "Vacation Planning" threads.. I'll move it over there.

I always just wear thongs or cheap Bum Equipment runners. I am on my feet alot, so I'm lucky and don't get blisters. I seldom even get tired feet.
    I have heard many, many others say Birkenstocks are the best.

------------------
    Patricia
    [email protected]
    Intercot Staff and <A HREF="http://www.intercotwest.com" TARGET=_blank>Intercotwest
    Staff</A>

Come see me turn green on the "Tower of Terror" during the 2001: An Intercot Odyssey meet in June.

Visit all of our family sites:

Intercot: Walt Disney World Inside & Out
    Intercotwest: Disneyland Inside & Out
    Webdisney: The Definitive Guide To Disney On The Internet
    Intercot Radio: Featuring the sounds of the Disney Theme Parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I usually wear a pair of well broken in sneakers & never have a problem with blisters but sore aching feet is just a side effect of a WDW vacation

I'm popping this over to Vacation Planning

------------------
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Intercot Staff:
    Theme Parks/Characters
    [email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

ok... before you guys all say, "Yeeeewww!" this is a tip that I read about but never tried. I mentioned it to a friend who tried it and apparently it works...

Here it is... apparently runners get blisters all the time (I am not a runner, so I wouldn't know, but I have friend who is, and she said that she gets them all the time). The tip I read about said that if you put..... anti-perspirant on your feet, you won't get blisters.

My runner-friend tried it, and she said it was amazing. Worked like a charm. She never gets blisters anymore, and she used to get them all the time.

I know it sounds odd, and I'm a little apprehensive writing this on a public board, but if it helps someone then that's the important thing.

------------------
    Bouncy, flouncy, pouncy! Fun, Fun, Fun, Fun, Fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Good, broken pair of sneakers are great! Be careful they are not too heavy!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like

I too have read on many Disney discussion boards that the thing to do is to spray anti-perspirant on your feet before putting on your good quality cotton socks. Really works!!! Also maybe change socks mid day, but with the anti-perspirant, you probably won't have too. Another way to revive tired, achy feet is to dip them for about 30 seconds in a bowl of ice water. Works every time!! Also, Teva sandles are suppose to be wonderful for walking for long periods of time. Go to www.teva.com

------------------
    Barbruka 74,77,82,87,95, offsite
    99 DXL
    Next trip Sept. 2001 AKL & Poly

"I am there everyday in my heart and in my memories."

Post Thanks / Like

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The tip I read about said that if you put..... anti-perspirant on your feet, you won't get blisters.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It really does help alot - from experience! But the spray on which I generally don't use normally is better than a roll on or gels because those have way too much water content. I get major blisters and I've been basicly incapacitated from them. I've tried all sorts of things and the spray anti-perspirant does help.
    As for shoes - if I said that I owned at least one pair of every brand of sneakers, walking shoes, running shoes in my lifetime I'd probably be underestimating. I've even tried custom made ones. My latest attempt are AVIA walking shoes with sports socks made with CoolMax.
    Because of my foot problems I tend to overcompensate and walk weird which causes even more problems. The trick is to keep your feet as dry as possible. I've worn sandals which weren't good for me.
    The best advice is to be sure the shoes you pick are worn in before you go.

------------------
    eL

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Tennis shoes (or sneakers - depending where you are from ) and good cotton socks, with a change of socks for later in the day....

Gives your feet a whole new life changing your socks!!!

------------------
    Tracey AKA Šiz...

"To all who come to this
    happy place, welcome!"

Disneyland: 400+ times
    WDW: 1994

Post Thanks / Like

RobinEE, this is such a good question. We are very careful about our shoes, because we are avid walkers (sometimes around 20 miles a week), and not only visit Disney Parks often, we trek all over the USA and abroad. My advice to you would be do NOT wear sandals of any kind UNLESS you are an avid walker, and have a wonderfully broken in pair of TEVA or Birks. Do NOT try to wear the Birkenstocks without PLENTY of break-in time. For some people, it takes WEEKS to get comfortable in Birks. TEVA are different - they really are made for hiking, but once again, if you are not a "hiker" don't think you are going to step into a pair and walk for hours on end. Best advice:

(1) get a good pair of "walking" shoes
    (2) spray-on antipersperant
    (3) good pair of Walking Socks (these make ALL the difference in the world - extra padding in just the right places).

If you do these three things, your feet will feel just FINE at the end of the day.

------------------
    "I want Disneyland to be most of all a happy place..."

Post Thanks / Like

1) I always pack mole skin just in case
    2) I use a foot powder liberally sprinkled inside my socks
    3) I bring a foot massager in my suitcase. My wife and daughter looked at me like I was a nut and then I had to fight them off while at WDW.

The ice water thing sounds great - I'm going to try that one.

------------------
    I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.
    Walt Disney

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: