Quantcast Tower of Terror, without the Terror!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Is it true that you can go to the TOT and see the pre-show, but leave before having to go into the elevator? I'd love to do this, but doubt I could do the elevator drop! [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
    Caribbean Beach - March 2010
    Contemporary & Caribbean Beach - February 2006
    Polynesian - January 2003
    Caribbean Beach - December 2000
    Caribbean Beach - February 1999
    Caribbean Beach - February 1997

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    howdyhowdy Guest

yes it is true. When you go into the "basement" to enter the elevators you can exit the ride. At least thats the way it was 5 years ago when I was at MGM last. Its sort of like on Space Mtn, when you get into the loading area, you can also exit if you change your mind.

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand be fearful of the drop but there is so much that comes before the drop that I just can't stand people not experiencing it. Yes, the drop is a tad bit scarry(and indeed a whole lot of fun if you are into that sort of thing) but getting to the drop part is 75% of the ride. Please reconsider. You are missing one of Disney's finest. Perhaps one of the best anywhere.
    Be kind to one another.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by SteveO:
    Yes, the drop is a tad bit scarry(and indeed a whole lot of fun if you are into that sort of thing) but getting to the drop part is 75% of the ride. Please reconsider. You are missing one of Disney's finest.
    I'll admit that once was enough for me. Frankly it reminds me too much of the malfunctioning elevators at work... but at least in ToT's case they're SUPPOSED to do that.

I'm glad I had the guts to do it at least once, because SteveO is right, the lead-up to that is very good.

TTFN
    "I nearly bounced right out of the ride!"

Post Thanks / Like

ToT is a lot more than a ride, it's a whole experience. It is definitely worth going through the preshow area, and then if you don't want to get into the elevator, just tell the CM's, it's no problem. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

If Patricia can do it ANYONE can [img]graemlins/laughing.gif[/img]
    Amy AKA Fantasmic

Let your Disney magic shine!

Mystries and Magic, visions Fantasmic!

WDW in 88,89,90,91,93,94,95,96,97,98,99,00,01,02,04,05,07,09,11,13,14,16
    DLP in 99,00,08

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

The preshow is OK, and if you aren't going to do the ride, it is better than nothing, but the really great special effects are "upstairs", and you have to do the drop to experience these. Definitely worth the trip! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Jim

Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Post Thanks / Like

yeah.. I did it.
    I almost killed JanetMegan when I squeezed to hard around her neck, but I did it. [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] The special effects are amazing upstairs and I'm glad I saw them.

That said...
    I always go through the preshow even when I'm not brave enough to ride the elevators. The nice CM's will take you down a service elevator in the boiler room if you don't want to ride. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Stationed in Dover, De, USA, but from Arkansas..Go Hogs
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Oh sure, there is a chicken exit, but come on, just do it. You HAVE to do this ride at least once. You have no idea what you are missing. If the ride is too much for you (which I can't imagine, because, quite frankly, compared to other rides in other parks, ToT is very tame) then you never have to ride it again. BUT, if you do it at least once and don't like it, then you have a reason to be scared. If you have never done it, then you just don't know, and trust me, you are truly missing out.

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Dewey - AKA-DisneyHog
    Proud member of U.S. Air Force
    1 Trip to DLP - Jul 2005
    21 Trips to WDW - 1985-2006
    Next trip-April/May 2007!

I Wish I Was In Disney World

GO HOGS!!!

Stationed in Dover, De, USA, but from Arkansas..Go Hogs
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Oh yea, one more thing. Say you get the courage to ride, but you hate it. Well, the entire ride is only about 1-2 minutes long, and the drops are only about 15-20 seconds of that. It's over before you know it. Do yourself a favor and just try it. You just might love it as much as I do.
    Dewey - AKA-DisneyHog
    Proud member of U.S. Air Force
    1 Trip to DLP - Jul 2005
    21 Trips to WDW - 1985-2006
    Next trip-April/May 2007!

I Wish I Was In Disney World

GO HOGS!!!

Disney2002 Guest

I'd take this into consideration... without fastpass, tower of terror can have a very long wait. You may want to do the drop after all. At any rate, if you get sick easily on rides... maybe it's not for you... if you're just scared, go for it.. you'll be thrilled!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your input. I do get a little bit of motion sickness, but that isn't what I'm worried about. I get nervous just thinking about the drop!!! After reading some of these posts I'm really tempted to try. I have until Dec 2002 to get up the nerve or chicken out entirely. Thanks! [img]graemlins/mixed.gif[/img]
    Caribbean Beach - March 2010
    Contemporary & Caribbean Beach - February 2006
    Polynesian - January 2003
    Caribbean Beach - December 2000
    Caribbean Beach - February 1999
    Caribbean Beach - February 1997

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I had avoided ToT on my 4 previous trips to Disney. I am scared of heights so the windows opening at the top of the hotel totally scared me.
    Finally this December, I was dragged on by my friend who insisted I would not be scared. I had the best time and was mad that we didn't get a chance to go back on. The view at the top was awesome and the drop was so fun. Take it from a former chicken, it is worth it. My next trip is in April with my rookie sister and brother -in-law. I can't to drag them on.
    Honeymoon May '98 @ Dixie Landings<br />Addicted ever since!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Here's a funny story--

My Disney Ma chickened out at the loading point and we waved to her as we borded the "service" elevator and she took the little "chicken" elevator out. well my dad, brother, and i ride the ride and have a blast, and go to look for her in the gift shop. we don't see her and there's a bit of commotion and we ask the nearest CM what's going on. much to our amusement (after learning noone was hurt) we find out that the "chicken" elevator was STUCK! it took then 10 minutes to get it running again! :laughs: needless to say when she finally DID ride ToT she found it less scarey than the chicken elevator.

I bet they service that thing less than the ride cars [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, disneyworld proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination! with thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthomagnetic musical sounds...<br />THE MAIN STREET ELECTRICAL PARADE!!!"

PKI Kevin Guest

Cool

I chickened-out once in 1994 when I was 12 years old. And I swear to you--the chicken-out elevator dropped faster than the ride. ahhhhhh crazy!

so I'm half kidding. aw well. Here's what I'm not kidding about: Ride ToT. It's the bomb diggity. Just remember one thing: when you do muster the courage to ride it, try to finagle a seat next to a large person (as in... generous in portions, or "pleasingly plump") so that the lap bar won't secure your legs properly. air-time, yo! You'll float all the way down the tower.

good times.

yeah.
    Last edited by Beast_fanatic; 01-29-2008 at 09:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I have to agree with the masses here. This is one of, if not THE, best rides anywhere in the world. The actual elevator drop is a blast, the anticipation getting to the top is almost as good. Of course, I can't say more about the themeing than has already been said. Really a great show altogether and you should try it once. Good luck and have fun.

Shevys
    Shevys<br /><br />WDW 1970, 1973, 1976, 1978, 2001, 2003<br />DL 1991, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2002<br />DLP 2001

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: