Quantcast Can you pet chickens? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Patricia - that was great!!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

I am so glad that I am not the only one here that is scarred from childhood chicken trauma!!

And you story reminds me very much of how my brother and I would run to escape the killer cows that we had!!

[ July 11, 2005, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: ChipnDaleGal ]
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes, the tail whipping, side kicking, head butting, step on your toe cows... Don't even get me started.

In hindsight I also wish there had been a "Top Ten Reasons" not to ride a clydesdale horse.. [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by fupresti:
    Do the chickens have large talons?
    You took the words right out of my mouth!

My bf has a picture at FW where he was biking (he accidentally thought a gated path was open for bikers) and there were TONS of chickens being tested for something.

I wouldn't pet those.

If you bent down and held your hand out, you could be like the Disney Princesses witht he birds eating out of your hands.

I feel like Mary Poppins should start singing right about now.

"Toppins a bag!"
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post Jessica. That clears up a lot of misconceptions about the friendliness of chickens. Now my next question. Is it just the roosters that are bad? Are the hens just as cranky?
    I'm also wary of cows. I went for a run in Montana a few years back and went through a pasture full of cows. I stopped to walk through them so they wouldn't get scared. Wouldn't you know that they started following me? Talk about freaking you out. I had to run to escape. Cows, it turns out, are not much into jogging (despite what the chick-fil-a folks would have you think).

Post Thanks / Like

Cows always pick a leader, I guess you were it that day.

And hens do have their own nasty moments. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Advnt05:
    If I tried, would he have flown upwards and pecked out my eyes leaving me to rot in the berry patch?
    HAHAHAHA! Oh man....that made me laugh out loud!

In the 5th grade...er..only a few years ago.. I had a science experiment about hatching chickens. My parents let me keep 5 of them at my Grandmother's house.

(Little did I realize WHY they were so generous with me! [img]graemlins/tasty.gif[/img] )

I would hold them like a puppy and pet them, they really liked it!

That is....UNTIL is was time to take my PETS to the Butcher!!!AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!! [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]

That's a whole different story....it actually took years for me to forgive my Mom! My Brother truly enjoyed telling me at the dinner table that we were eating one of my chickens! I wasn't happy! Anywho, wow...that helped me vent...Nice! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    ~~ Lisa ~~
    You're of worth! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Trips to WDW: 6
    Trips to Disneyland: 8 plus.

John 3:16 is a place to start.....

Post Thanks / Like

Can you believe that July 15th is National Cow Day? What do you do on cow day? Maybe abstain from eating beef?

Who wants to organize the national "Pet a chicken" Day?

Post Thanks / Like

Who wants to organize the national "Pet a chicken" Day?
    HAHA! As long as my Mother can't get a hold of them!
    ~~ Lisa ~~
    You're of worth! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Trips to WDW: 6
    Trips to Disneyland: 8 plus.

John 3:16 is a place to start.....

Post Thanks / Like

When I was six, I went to visit my great grandmother in rural Mississippi. She asked me to get a stick and go help her find a chicken that had escaped from her hen house and had chicks out in her tall grass by her cow pasture. She sent me on ahead while she stood by the drive way. As I was walking through the grass, this chicken came out at me light it was shot out of a cannon. What was I to do? Like any smart person armed with a stick, I dropped my stick and ran screaming across the field. That chicken chased me for a good 100 yards. I'm still convinced that if I had tripped, it would have killed me.
    Okay, so we are sounding worse and worse here in the South...

Did you know that you can rock a chicken to sleep?

My in-laws have always had farm animals on their 120 acres down the road from us (Don't even get me started on the minature horse that they put in their laundry room during Hurricane Ivan last year... you know, cause he would've blown away [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img] ).

Anyways, so DH used to take me in the chicken/pig yard and pick up the chickens. He would lay them on their backs in one hand, tuck their head beneath their wing, and pet their chest with the other hand. And very slowly, he would rock them in a circle. Sure enough, it puts them in some sort of trance as long as they are moving. And if you do it long enough, you can actually put them down and walk away... and they stay curled up in a ball asleep. [img]graemlins/sleepin.gif[/img]

I swear to the Lord that I have seen this done...DH's good!
    Call me Mary...

Trips
    Offsite-Aug.'89
    CSR-Jan.'00
    Offsite-Mar '01
    WL-Dec.'01
    ASMo, Dolphin-Sep.'03
    Poly, POR-Jan.'05
    AKL-Sep-Oct.'05
    Disney Magic-Oct.'07
    WL- Dec. '09
    CBR-Pirate- Dec. '10
    POP Oct. '11

Up next a last minute trip to POR after a very LONG break from WDW! Feb. 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

I too have had post-traumatic chicken disorder. When I was a kid, we'd go to my great uncle's farm. He'd let us grind up corn cobs with this old fashion corn cob striper thing that you hand cranked. It pulled the dried kernels right off the cob. This part was rather fun. THEN he suggested we take the corn down to the chicken coop to feed them. We walked in with a bucket of the corn and chickens came out from EVERYWHERE. They flew (well, flapped excitedly!) at us and we dropped the bucket and RAN! Uncle thought it was hysterical. It made me afraid of birds. Don't even ask about when I was in college and visited Trafalgar Square. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] All those pigeons. . . still gives me nightmares. <<<shudder>>>
    Holly
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    "Think of the safety. Think of the sense of well-being. At last, your family can be protected from the heartbreak of gorilla invasion." Dr. B. Honeydew

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Alfred Hitchcock was on to something with that "The Birds" movie? I bet chickens would have been just as terrifying as crows. I'm starting to wonder if that "Chicken Run" movie was just propaganda put out by the chickens to improve their image.

I know they're plotting something. [img]graemlins/thedolls.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Patricia:
    Cows always pick a leader, I guess you were it that day.

And hens do have their own nasty moments. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
    Going way off topic where abouts in Quebec? I was born in Montreal, moved to TO and now live outside Ottawa near the Quebec Border....around here one drives into town too...
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

Patricia, That was a great chicken story. Bet you could write a book and call it "Green Acres",
    [img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img] .
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Post Thanks / Like

what an odd question lol

Post Thanks / Like

DD petted the ducks on Tom Sawyer Island on our last trip. Tamest ducks I have ever seen. No wonder with all the food they probably get at WDW from all the visitors.
    Susanne

Mom to 6 rowdy kids,
    1 Keeshond, 1 cat and 2 horses

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by offwego:
    Going way off topic where abouts in Quebec? I was born in Montreal, moved to TO and now live outside Ottawa near the Quebec Border....around here one drives into town too...
    It was Shawville Quebec. Ottawa is so pretty.. I miss being able to going there.

Are you suggesting we pick up a killer chicken? [img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Patricia:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by offwego:
    It was Shawville Quebec. Ottawa is so pretty.. I miss being able to going there.

Are you suggesting we pick up a killer chicken? [img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Shawville is just across the way..I'm in Renfrew.

To make that freaker Patrica when we went to Disney in 2004 Jan we ran into a CM in World of Disney from Peurto Rico who had lived in Shawville on a co-op exhcange program.

That town sure gets around!!
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

Please ignore this non chicken post:

Shawville is just across the way..I'm in Renfrew.
    Funny. We had to always go to Renfrew to see movies.

Even weirder, my Grandpa lived in a home in Renfrew and my mother eventually lived there herself for quit a few years before coming to spend her last few years with me here in Kelowna.

If your Catholic my mom was at one time the house keeper to the priests in Renfrew. They all know her well.

Resume your chicken discussion...

Post Thanks / Like

Just when you thought it was over! From CNN:

Kiss of life makes Boo Boo the chicken better

ARKADELPHIA, Arkansas (AP) -- This chicken had lips, just not her own.

A retired nurse saved her brother's chicken, Boo Boo, by administering mouth-to-beak resuscitation last week after the fowl was found floating face down in the family's pond.

Marian Morris said she hadn't had any practice with CPR in years, but she was interested to see if she "still had it."

"I breathed into its beak, and its dadgum eyes popped open," Morris said. "I breathed into its beak again, and its eyes popped open again. I said, 'I think this chicken's alive now. Keep it warm."'

She said she did not know how to find a pulse on a chicken.

Boo Boo's owners, Jackie and Becky Calhoun, put her in a large cardboard box containing a grain feeder and water. They also placed a heater nearby.

The chicken is called Boo Boo because she is easily frightened. The Calhouns thought Boo Boo was startled and flopped into the pond.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fupresti
    Do the chickens have large talons?

Wow, I'm surprised no one got this movie reference. Especially considering the popularity of the movie.
    1973 - Off Site
    1979 - Contemporary Resort
    1983- Off Site
    7/1994 - Port Orleans
    6/2003 - Off Site
    3/2005 - Coronado Springs Resort (5 Nights)
    April/May 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (8 Nights)
    Nov/Dec. 2007- Boardwalk (7 Nights)
    Next Trip: Nov/Dec 2010-Yacht Club (6 Nights)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: