Quantcast Can you pet chickens?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Can you pet chickens?

I went to a commercial blackberry farm yesterday to pick my own blackberries. The place had chickens that wandered out among the vines eating bugs I guess. One particular chicken followed me up and down the row staying close to my feet the entire time.
    Can you pet chickens? If I tried, would he have flown upwards and pecked out my eyes leaving me to rot in the berry patch?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Advnt05: i don't know why, but your post made me laugh so loud. i can't stop laughing!!!but that is a very good question. i have never tried. still laughing, and will probably laugh everytime i see a chicken [img]graemlins/silly.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laughing.gif[/img]
    1995-carribbean beach-honeymoon/first trip
    1996-carribbean beach anniv.2003-All Star Movies-DD3 first trip/anniv
    2004-ASM & Contemp.-Grand Gatherings

Post Thanks / Like

Yep - some chickens do indeed let you pet them.
    ¨¨*:• Carol (aka PolyGirl40)
    INTERCOT Management Team

Post Thanks / Like

I still have my doubts about the chicken. Maybe some are domesticated enough (such as Mike the headless chicken: http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org/ )to let you pet them but they can turn on you like a cat. My friend's cat will rub on your leg and purr. He'll even let you pet him for about 1 minute before the demon inside kicks in and he bites and scratches you.

Post Thanks / Like

My neighbors have chickens and some of them do like to be petted.One in particular "Buddy" the rooster acts more like a dog.He comes running to greet them when they pull in to the driveway and crows at the door wanted to be let in.The do let him in for a few minutes on ocassion. Most of the others just run away but another rooster "Big Roo" isn't friendly at all. They keep him penned up becasue he will charge after you !

I would say that the one following you was more of a "Buddy" variety. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Hºoº lly

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." - Walt Disney

WDW repeat guest since 1989!

Post Thanks / Like

He was probably looking for the little critters your shoes kicked up from the dirt.

... or he just liked the look of you!
    It's fun to be free.

Post Thanks / Like

What a great post!! There was a big chicken a town over from us. It lived on these people's porch, it was not on a farm, their house isn't even considered in the country, it was on a somewhat busy road. This big white chicken would walk up and down the street, no dogs ever seemed to bother it. The funny thing is, it lived on the porch of this house but belonged to the people two houses down...and it ate hotdogs. I heard he died last winter. I kind of miss seeing him on my way to the mall.
    Jeri Lynn

Fantasy 9/18 Dream 5/16 Fantasy 9/15 Wonder 10/14 Dream BCV ~ 12/09, BC ~9/18, 12/17 10/15 10/12 11/11 10/10 10/08, 11/07, 9/07, 11/06, 9/06, 12/05, 12/04, 9/04, 9/03, 9/02, 9/01, 12/2000, 9/99
    YC 9/16
    AKL 12/05, 9/05, 11/13
    DXL 9/98
    CBR 9/96
    DXL 5/93
    Off-site 1984, 1908

Post Thanks / Like

Now a chicken that eats hot dogs is my kind of bird. I hope it was beef and not a chicken dog. Why would a chicken eat beef anyway? Have you ever seen a chicken eye a cow and salivate? It's amazing that the dogs didn't bother it. I think chicken's walk with an air of confidence that frightens your typical domesticated dog. My friend had a duck that scared the mess out of his dog (and me now that I think about it).
    I still am not sure you can pet one. Have one as a pet...maybe...but actually pet it? Who volunteers to try it this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like

Do the chickens have large talons?
    Upcoming Trips
    Villas at Grand Californian - 11/2012

Recent Trips
    Old Key West - 12/2011
    Contemporary - 05/2011
    Beach Club Villas - 03/2011
    Villas at Grand Californian - 12/2010
    Hilton Head Island - 5/2010
    Boardwalk Villas - 9/09

DVC Member - Villas at Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I still have a lot of residual chicken fear from my childhood. My mom would make me gather the eggs and the hens did not give them up willingly. I had to use my Romper Room hat to push the hen into th corner of the nest so I could take the egg. Got pecked plenty!!
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

Chickens do have talons. Thats what they use in **** fighting. They've also mastered the art of the "bluck..bluck..bluck" sound that lulls you into a false sense of security before they pounce on you making you break out your romper room hat.

Post Thanks / Like

For several years we have visited a cafe during a pleasant walk whilst on holiday in Cornwall called The Hermitage Tea Gardens. When my children were very young (probably around 10 years ago), we were there and they noticed a friendly chicken walking around the tables. Her name was Paxo (on account of she kept stuffing). As quick as could be, she lightly pecked my son's hand and made him drop his biscuit (cookie) and ate it before anyone could do anything. She was very friendly other than this and apparently lived in the cafe owners house choosing to sleep on their sofa. They do not know where she came from, she just appeared there one day having a fight with a dog. Apparently Paxo was winning. Several years later we visited the cafe again and mentioned the chicken to the owners and asked what had become of her and they explained that she was still there but now preferred strawberry ice cream to biscuits and sure enough she appeared walking between the tables. About three years ago we again visited the cafe, but alas Paxo had died of old age.

She was certainly an unusual chicken but did appear to like being fussed over.

Angie

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Advnt05:

Can you pet chickens?
    Not on the first date.
    Dan

1993-Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1995-Contemporary
    1998-Contemporary
    2002-All Star Sports
    2003-Boardwalk Villas
    2005-Polynesian
    2006-Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Zawadi Bill:
    Can I nominate this for post of the year?
    I second the nomination! All those in favor?

BTW, I had an image in my mind that the chicken that followed Advnt05 around looked like the chickens on The Muppet Show...
    Steve

DVC Member
    BWV '00
    SSR '04

16 WDW Visits since 1974
    1 DL visit since 1994
    Next Visit: June 5-9, 2008

Post Thanks / Like

these posts are still making me laugh. i need to shut the den door so i don't wake up the family. advnt05 do you eat chicken?
    1995-carribbean beach-honeymoon/first trip
    1996-carribbean beach anniv.2003-All Star Movies-DD3 first trip/anniv
    2004-ASM & Contemp.-Grand Gatherings

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by diz#1fan:
    advnt05 do you eat chicken?
    ¨¨*:• Carol (aka PolyGirl40)
    INTERCOT Management Team

Post Thanks / Like

I most certainly do eat chicken! [img]graemlins/tasty.gif[/img] If you want a visual of the chicken, she is full grown and dark black/brown. I think the biscuit/ice cream stealing chicken is a perfect example representing chickens (and cats to some extent). They blend in and seem harmless and then strike. In a military sense, the execute a "peck and awe" campaign.
    When I was six, I went to visit my great grandmother in rural Mississippi. She asked me to get a stick and go help her find a chicken that had escaped from her hen house and had chicks out in her tall grass by her cow pasture. She sent me on ahead while she stood by the drive way. As I was walking through the grass, this chicken came out at me light it was shot out of a cannon. What was I to do? Like any smart person armed with a stick, I dropped my stick and ran screaming across the field. That chicken chased me for a good 100 yards. I'm still convinced that if I had tripped, it would have killed me.

Post Thanks / Like

All is revealed Advnt05, now we understand the theme of the post, recurring childhood reality nightmare. So please, blog away, the Intercot couch is always available.

Bill, should we still nominate this as post of the year since it is not ethical to discuss a patient's psychosis in public?

Excuse my ramblings. I still have firework noises and smoke fighting for space in my head. [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

After reading a lot of overheated puffery about your new cook, you know what I'm craving? A little perspective. That's it. I'd like some fresh, clear, well seasoned perspective. Can you suggest a good wine to go with that?

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by RazdOnDis:
    Originally posted by Advnt05:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Can you pet chickens?
    Not on the first date. </font>[/QUOTE][img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] OMG [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img]
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

Post Thanks / Like

I love chickens! They are so funny to me, I don't know why. I have never been close enough to one to pet one, though. I think I would be scared of getting pecked, too.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: