Quantcast Haven’t been since 2011

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Haven’t been since 2011

Hi everyone!!!! I’m so excited to say that I have convinced my husband to return to DW with me for the princess half marathon at the end of feb 2024! As I stated I have not been since 2011. Ugh!

I like to plan out EVERYTHING! I used to be able to do this rather well in regards to best price, short wait times, dining preferences, all in all great vaca planning on my part if I may say so. lol

But holy cow! Things have changed!!! I’m hoping mostly for the better. Few questions though:
    1. Can I cancel my hotel ressie/tix if I do not manage to register for the race (it sells out too quickly?)
    2. How likely is it I am unable to reg for the race? Will be reg as soon as it’s open
    3. Is genie+ as great as fastpass used to be (if not just expensive) and should I get it? Maybe just for a couple days?
    4. Can someone explain this virtual queue thing to me? Only certain rides have it? I need to be at that park for the queue? Does this require genie +?
    5. Are there any rides that I should just forget about even bothering to try to ride bc of the difficulty with this queue system or they just are “sold out” very quickly.
    6. Is there anything I really need to know about how tix/parks are being done differently?
    7. Are the gondolas efficient? We’re they useful at CBR for anyone?
    8. Magicbands… should I get one? If so should I get the hubby one? I’m referring to the + option.

I know some of these are not in the right place but u know…simplicity and stuff…

Trip planning was a breeze back in 2011!!!But it’s all good. I love that’s DW is utilizing new technology and I’m sure I will get all figured out. Eventually! I’m so excited! Just need a little help with any changes.

Thanks everyone!!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a room only reservation, you can cancel up to five days prior to arrival. Cancellation policies for packages are different.
    Tickets are non-refundable but you might be able to change the dates you will use your tickets.
    I've never participated in the race but I understand race registrations fill up quickly so register as soon as registration is open.
    I've never used genie+ - not a fan of needing to pay for what used to be included in my ticket. Genie+ also has rules about when you can book your next ride. Disney states you should plan on being able to ride 2-3 rides using the Genie+ system on any given day. Additionally, the most popular rides are not included in Genie+ and require that you book (and pay) for those rides individually. You can book for a pay per ride as well as a regular Genie+ ride.
    Right now Tron requires a paid admission or a virtual que pass. Guardians of the Galaxy has also required a virtual que but that may be shifting to a regular standby line soon. Typically, Disney offers two chances per day to try to obtain a space in the virtual que - it works sort of like a lottery. You need to use your Mydisneyexperience app to register for the que. If you have that app, you can check out the instructions for including in the que. You don't need to be at the park when you sign up but spots go quickly - often within seconds of opening up.
    Some very popular rides are sold out of Genie+ quickly but, other than the rides that require a virtual que, you can typically wait in the standby line if you really want to ride it.
    Everything is very different than your last visit. Research as much as possible before your arrival.
    We stayed at Riviera once and enjoyed using the gondolas. They are pretty efficient except when they are down for an issue in which case, Disney will typically substitute bus transportation - definitely not as efficient.
    We have Magicbands but typically only use them for park admission and opening our room (if we are staying at Disney). If you use Genie+, you will need to scan your tickets at each entry point.

Good luck planning!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

4. Thanks Venus0880 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you do a vacation package that include both room reservations and tickets, you can cancel with a full refund up to 30 days prior to the first day of your reservation. Within 30 days there is a $200 cancellation fee. As faline mentioned, if you do a room only reservation, it is a different policy. Tickets not included in a package bought separately are non-refundable so keep that in mind.

We have not used Genie+ or Lightning Lane either. We looked at it and looked at what was available for purchase for Lightning Lane while we were there and felt like it was a rip off. Others have mentioned in other threads that they used them and while they weren't very happy about the additional cost, it did save them some time.

We have no experience with the running events.

The Virtual Ques are on the newer rides to help control the lines and crowds. You attempt to get those through your MDE app as faline mentioned and there is no way of knowing whether you will be successful. Try to get the ones you are interested in and hopefully you get them.

The Gondolas are very efficient. I will tell you though that if anyone in your party is prone to motion sickness, they can sway back and forth in the wind. We started getting motion sickness while we have been on them a time or two.

Speaking of motion sickness, some of the newer rides have a lot of simulation in them. Ratatouille made us sick. I probably will never get on that ride again. We can't do Avatar flight of passage either. We felt bad the entire rest of the day after riding it both times we have tried it. I really wish they would quit doing simulation in the new rides.

Magic Bands are optional. You don't really have to have them.

6. Thanks Venus0880 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Right now Tron requires a paid admission or a virtual que pass. Guardians of the Galaxy has also required a virtual que but that may be shifting to a regular standby line soon. Typically, Disney offers two chances per day to try to obtain a space in the virtual que - it works sort of like a lottery. You need to use your Mydisneyexperience app to register for the que. If you have that app, you can check out the instructions for including in the que. You don't need to be at the park when you sign up but spots go quickly - often within seconds of opening up.
    One point of clarification...Unless it has changed very recently, you DO have to be in the park where the attraction exists (Magic Kingdom for Tron and/or EPCOT for Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind) to register for the 1pm Virtual Queue (VQ.) The 7am Virtual Queue can be accessed from anywhere, since none of the parks are open at that time.

It is getting easier to enter the 1pm Virtual Queue for Guardians, but Tron gets filled almost immediately when the VQ opens.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

8. Thanks Venus0880 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You’re so much help. Thank you!

10. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's definitely different, and I used some YouTube resources to find information and step-by-step walk throughs of how Genie+ works to wrap my mind around it. I really liked using it when I went last year during a moderately busy time. I got Lightning Lanes for all the "big" rides in HS and EPCOT. It's frustrating that it's not included with our ticket prices, that's for sure!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

12. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank a lot! I will check out the videos. I’ll keep researching. I’m so torn on whether to splurge on genie+ or not. Could be worse things to be thinking about!! Lol

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: