Quantcast EPCOT Turns 40

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: EPCOT Turns 40

Post Thanks / Like

Default EPCOT Turns 40

Had a few moments to reflect post hurricane... and here's what I came up with. I'd be interested in your thoughts as well...

Opening Day was October 1, 1982, and while we weren't there for the ceremonies, we did manage to visit for the first time that opening year and vividly recall reading page for page about the new park and its attractions in Birnbaum's Guide to Walt Disney World. Seriously, I read it cover to cover and knew more about the park prior to stepping foot in it than any other park before or since.

It goes without saying, that this park (once it added Horizons later) would never be topped. The scale and ambition of it all, combined with the forward-looking eye to the future set the bar for us and many Disney fans. As a kid, I loved the future and not a dystopian vision as we often see - but a shining example of how we could be the best version of ourselves.

Now 40 years later, we look with careful eye to the redevelopment of EPCOT and hope some of the magic that once made the park special returns - and as a community we can recapture the feeling we all had back in '82

Happy 40th Birthday EPCOT!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

2. Thanks Jeff thanked for this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I could not agree more. EPCOT was so different and special. I personally love the clean, open look of the park and have so many fond memories. Even things like the Tapestry of Time/Dreams parades were so unique. The skeptic in me worries that they are gradually taking uniqueness out of all the parks and they are all now kind of blending together. I hope I am wrong and will have to decide for myself on our next visit, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually liked the 'worlds fair' vibe it had when it first opened.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I first visited EPCOT in 1984. We loved the atmosphere, layout, theme and attractions. It is still our favorite park but it has lost its way a bit!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

We went in the summer of 83. It was in the first year. I remember how futuristic it looked at the time and thought it was really cool. I will never forget riding Spaceship Earth the first time, smelling the smoke in the scene with the fire and then reaching the top and seeing Earth in all it's glory. I have ridden it every single time I have been because it brings back those memories.

I also recall how low the crowd level was that first year. It was so new, word had not really spread about the park yet and also many people did not want to spend the money on the extra ticket. We basically felt like we had the park to ourselves. It was also an attraction itself riding the monorail to the park. Epcot has always been a favorite.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that Epcot will always be a different kind of park. I hope that they don't IP it to death. I love when they figure out a way to combine the IP with the culture/message, like in the Three Caballeros ride in the Mexico Pavilion, or the Finding Nemo ride in The Seas Pavilion. I'm very excited for the 40th anniversary celebration!
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

I was eight years old two days after Epcot entered. Really love how they are still expanding there. And shows that they have grown. In a sense wish we were there and then again glad we were not as really a huge beyond crowd could had made it impossible. Forty years and counting hopefully!
    April Showers and Easter 2024!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: