Quantcast In room humidity

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default In room humidity

The past 2 trips to Orlando in August have resulted in a situation I haven't experienced before in a hotel room. We have stayed at all different properties in Orlando, including Disney hotels and always during the summer months.

But the last 2 years I have experienced in room humidity to the point where my clothes and sheets are damp even after coming back from a day at the park. We keep the temperature at 72 degrees and the even tried turning the heat on one day while we were gone to try to get rid of the humidity.

Is there a trick with the in room temperature? Should I keep it colder? It wasn't necessarily a rainy trip or anything while we were there. I am baffled because by the end of our trip I was looking forward to leaving in sleeping in a room that wasn't humid.

Both hotels were newer and had the standard hotel room air conditioner that sits below the window.

Any help or advice would be appreciated as it basically ruined the hotel experience for us and I am not looking forward to doing it again.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk
    August 1989- Caribbean Beach Resort
    July 1996- Swan
    July 1998- Contemporary Resort
    May 2010- Boardwalk
    October 2011-POP!
    June 2013 - Off Property
    July 2014- Off Property
    October 2014 - AKL
    April 2015 - POP!
    June 2015 - ?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That is kind of odd. Air Conditioners remove the humidity from the air as they are running by water vapor condensing on the coils and then running out the condensation drain line. You should see the water dripping from the line while it is running. Setting the temperature colder while you are gone will definitely help as it will keep the unit running more and condense more moisture and remove it from the air in the room.

The only things I can think of is if someone is leaving the room door open, especially a door to the outside like a balcony and allowing humid air to re-enter the room. Also, and this is likely, they did not properly ventilate the bathroom so when everyone takes a shower, you are introducing a ton of moisture/humidity into the room. Another possibility would be if the unit is too large (too high BTU's) for the room size so it isn't running the compressor enough and cycling in and out too quick. That is doubtful because they would most likely use the lowest BTU, cheapest unit they could get away with.

I would try setting the temperature down around 65 while you are gone for the day and then turn it back up to your comfortable temperature when you return.

Post Thanks / Like

Humidity is a bear down south here. Would be interesting to carry a cheap hydrometer to measure what it really is in the rooms you are uncomfortable in. That said, I hate moist sheets... yuk. I think like Jared said - turn it down low. Possible housekeeping is stopping by and leaving the door open for a long time? Other stuff, you can request the filter be changed at checkin (say you are very alergic).

In smaller hotels with these type units, I tend to get this more that elsewhere.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, the humidity is crazy! I find that you need to keep the room cooler than you expect, and keep the air on, it makes a huge difference.

One time, at Disney we had the humid room issue, after a few visits to the front desk, they removed the "decorative" cover on the air conditioner and replaced the filter. It was filthy, and once switched made a huge difference. I'm with John - ask for a new filter if you have any issues at all.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

6. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips. Both times this happened the hotels were new, opened within a year. They were hotels, not motels so the doors opened to inside. Also housekeeping didn't come either time as it was only offered on request.

I told my family next time to bring a lot of blankets because they get cold easily, that's why we keep it at 72. I don't mind it when it's colder, hopefully keeping it low will help.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk
    August 1989- Caribbean Beach Resort
    July 1996- Swan
    July 1998- Contemporary Resort
    May 2010- Boardwalk
    October 2011-POP!
    June 2013 - Off Property
    July 2014- Off Property
    October 2014 - AKL
    April 2015 - POP!
    June 2015 - ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default In room humidity

Living in hot climates for many years, I can tell you that keeping indoor humidity at a comfortable level in the middle of summer can be a challenge. AC units can only do so much to remove excess moisture in the air. That said, one of the main reasons the humidity level rises inside a building is the AC fan being turned to "on" instead of "automatic". If the fan is blowing all the time, it doesn't allow the moisture that's condensing on the coils to drain properly. Instead it is blowing the moisture back into the room. A previous guest in the room may have turned the fan to a permanent "on" status. Next time you stay at one of the hotels, make sure the fan is on "automatic".
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: