Quantcast Disney Genie and genie+ - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cass&KenziesMom View Post
    I felt the same way. Still haven't decided if we're going to do Genie+ but like I said earlier it's WAY cheaper than Universal so I'm more inclined to do this than Express Passes at Universal.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    "Its WAY cheaper than Universal....". It is today.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of curiosity, I did a quick search to see how much an express pass at Universal is. It said $30-$40 per day depending on when you go.

So $20 for genie + and then $17 a piece times 2 rides for lightning lane = $54 per day. I can't see how everyone says that is cheaper than Universal's express pass. Doesn't Universal's pass cover ALL the rides?

And isn't it included if you stay at a Universal deluxe resort?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Out of curiosity, I did a quick search to see how much an express pass at Universal is. It said $30-$40 per day depending on when you go.

So $20 for genie + and then $17 a piece times 2 rides for lightning lane = $54 per day. I can't see how everyone says that is cheaper than Universal's express pass. Doesn't Universal's pass cover ALL the rides?

And isn't it included if you stay at a Universal deluxe resort?
    For the times we go it would be WAY cheaper than Express Pass. 2 days of Express Passes this last time we went to Universal would have cost fully of 4 over $800 and no not all rides are included in Express Pass. It's "included" in the Deluxe resort stay but trust me you're paying for them. 7 days of Disney Genie without paying for the "non included" rides would only cost us a little over $400....so half the cost.

Ashley
    Wife to James
    Mom to Cassidy & Kenzie
    Disney Honeymoon~~Aug. '02 Off Property
    1st Family Trip~~Feb. '13 ASMovies
    Surprise Trip!! Dec. 2014!!! Off Property
    Next trip booked! July 2015! Wyndham Bonnet Creek!!

Post Thanks / Like

For the times we go it would be WAY cheaper than Express Pass. 2 days of Express Passes this last time we went to Universal would have cost fully of 4 over $800 and no not all rides are included in Express Pass. It's "included" in the Deluxe resort stay but trust me you're paying for them. 7 days of Disney Genie without paying for the "non included" rides would only cost us a little over $400....so half the cost.

But $400 dollars more than it did cost previously.
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha whoeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofyskier View Post
    But $400 dollars more than it did cost previously.
    and we have the choice to pay it or not. Everyone hated FastPass+ when it came out. Most everyone will hate this but you bet your butt they'll still pay for it because people want instant gratification and the thought of waiting their turn in line is unheard of. Truth be told this is why we space out our trips so that we can spend at least 7 days in the parks. We're good with waiting.

Ashley
    Wife to James
    Mom to Cassidy & Kenzie

7. Likes njespers, PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

and we have the choice to pay it or not. Everyone hated FastPass+ when it came out. Most everyone will hate this but you bet your butt they'll still pay for it because people want instant gratification and the thought of waiting their turn in line is unheard of. Truth be told this is why we space out our trips so that we can spend at least 7 days in the parks. We're good with waiting.

Don't get me wrong...I am in the group that hated fastpass +. I did like the old system. I do not like that they are now charging for something that was once included in the price of admission and that they are charging resort guests for it to boot. Sure we can choose to pay it....but it was included in the price of admission and now it is not. It is not a deal when compared to anything because it was free and now it is not. And....to add to the money grab they want to charge again to skip the line and ride the more popular attractions. So you have the opportunity to chose to pay three times for something that was at one time included in the price of admission. The whole thing stinks.
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha whoeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

9. Likes RunDMV, njespers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But how much did you pay to enter the park?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    But how much did you pay to enter the park?
    At Universal? 4 day 2 park, park-to-park tickets $1400. We didn't buy Express passes and rode EVERYTHING in 2 days. That was Mardi Gras week.

Ashley
    Wife to James
    Mom to Cassidy & Kenzie

Post Thanks / Like

From what I understand Genie+ is a lot like Maxpass at Disneyland (which it is also replacing)

Maxpass was new when I visited DL in 2017, but let me break it down how it worked.

It worked the same way (and alongside) the “old” paper fast pass system (remember FP+ never made it to DL)

You could use the old Fastpass system for free or you could pay $15/day to use the app to book your fastpasses—the exact same fastpasses that you could have gotten by walking to the attraction. Tickets were always being distributed for the “next available” time at each attraction. Regardless of whether you went and got a paper ticket or booked on the app your return time would be for the same time, and when that reservation came around or 2 hours passed (whichever came first) you could book another one. Maxpass did not allow you to get a digital Fastpass and paper Fastpass at the same time… trust me I tried.

I think Genie+/lightning lane is basically the old fastpass system on your phone (that you had to pay for) I say this because I want to point out that it seemed like EVERYONE (including myself) was purchasing Maxpass despite the free option being available. It was so great being able to be in line for Splash Mountain and being able to get a fastpass for Space Mountain without walking clear across the park.

Overall I’m happy about this. I never went to WDW in the Fastpass+ days, but it was kind of a deterrent. Yes I know FP+ had its fans but i didn’t like the planning aspect. I don’t even like making commitments for the weekend, why would I want to make them for a vacation (which is supposed to be a vacation) 60 days in advance. Then of course the reservations for the good rides all disappear within a few minutes, so they put Fastpass+ on rides where it wasn’t needed so they could make sure there were enough to go around.

I will say I do NOT like the individual attraction aspect of this. Maxpass didn’t exclude anything, it sounds like it’s going to exclude the most popular rides at each park. But that just means those attractions will be your rope drops and 11th hours.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say it, but I'm with you in this one. We'll be going there soon so we'll see how it works, but on previous trips you're right, it was basically a job getting everything we needed using FP+ and issues with the way they were allocated made it difficult to actually use it to get on the rides we wanted.

As I said we're visiting again soon and it's still pretty much a job getting reservations at 60 days (the Disney site stinks for doing this smoothly), plus there's STILL no guarantee on Rise of the Resistance once we have our scheduled day in DHS. DW and I were up at the exact start of our window and still didn't get a few ressies at reasonable times, but at least we got 'em. It'll just be a little iffy on a couple of things when we get there because of the park-hopper restrictions.

Hopefully things will be smoother in the standbys with FP+ gone, and also hopefully the Genie app will help maneuver through the parks more smoothly (still on the fence for Genie+) but I'm still somewhat skeptical. I guess we'll find out.

With all of the other things that really reduce the fun-quotient of going, it's getting harder and harder to justify the time and expense of a formerly-magic Disney vacation, which makes this former CM quite sad.
    "Tomorrow will be better for as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life. All men will want to be free and share our way of life. There must be so much that I should have said, but haven't. What I will say now is just what most of us are probably thinking every day. I thank God and America for the right to live and raise my family under the flag of tolerance, democracy and freedom."<br /><br />"Our American Culture" by Walt Disney 3/1/41

14. Likes njespers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So if you want to purchase Genie + ahead of your vacation, you have to buy it for every day of your ticket. If you want to just do some days, you have to wait for that day to arrive and the you can purchase it at 7 am. Am I correct in thinking that?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I’m in the minority, regarding FastPass+. In the beginning, I didn’t like picking my rides 60 days out (and there’s always the threat of bad weather that ruins a “locked-in” day and you can’t know that 60 days out,) but I became comfortable with it. It became a challenge — a Rubik’s cube that needed solved.

[THINKING PROCESS]
    — 9-Day Trip
    — This/these ride(s) won’t be available on first four days.
    — First attempted FastPass: “Flight of Avatar” on Day Five of trip. Then Soarin’ Day Six. Then Splash Mountain Day One. And so on. Needed a strategy BEFORE the window opened!!

But I became proficient and figured how to schedule my ADRs 180 days out and line them up with impending FPs at the 60-Day Mark. Whew!!

I would map out the trips in advance in my head, being as precise as I could. After a bit, it became quite fun. I enjoyed it!

Now, I’ll need to learn a new system. Learn the pitfalls while on the next vacation. Probably ruin one vacation as I learn the new intricacies. Knowing me, I’ll reluctantly pay for the convenience, but then expect more on delivery. We will have to see if the trip is more enjoyable. Or less.
    Last edited by MrPeetrie; 09-08-2021 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Typo

17. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeetrie View Post
    I think I’m in the minority, regarding FastPass+. In the beginning, I didn’t like picking my rides 60 days out (and there’s always the threat of bad weather that ruins a “locked-in” day and you can’t know that 60 days out,) but I became comfortable with it. It became a challenge — a Rubik’s cube that needed solved.

[THINKING PROCESS]
    — 9-Day Trip
    — This/these ride(s) won’t be available on first four days.
    — First attempted FastPass: “Flight of Avatar” on Day Five of trip. Then Soarin’ Day Six. Then Splash Mountain Day One. And so on. Needed a strategy BEFORE the window opened!!

But I became proficient and figured how to schedule my ADRs 180 days out and line them up with impending FPs at the 60-Day Mark. Whew!!

I would map out the trips in advance in my head, being as precise as I could. After a bit, it became quite fun. I enjoyed it!

Now, I’ll need to learn a new system. Learn the pitfalls while on the next vacation. Probably ruin one vacation as I learn the new intricacies. Knowing me, I’ll reluctantly pay for the convenience, but then expect more on delivery. We will have to see if the trip is more enjoyable. Or less.
    Sounds almost exactly how I planned for FP+. I always started with my last full day on property/in parks and worked backward from there. Never missed a ride/attraction I wanted.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I kinda have an aversion towards giving Disney any MORE money to be honest with you. I can see using it if you knew you wouldn't be going back to a Disney Park in the near future though.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: