Quantcast Splash Mountain Makeover - not happy

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Splash Mountain Makeover - not happy

I cannot believe Disney is going to completely change Splash Mountain. One of my absolute favorite rides in all the parks. I know they have their reasons but it seems like a huge overreaction to me. And I did not like The Princess and the Frog at all when I saw it. Certainly never once thought about race or stereotypes as we tried to save the rabbit from the wolf
    Contemp '78
    Offsite '84 & '88
    GF 11/02
    Beach Club 11/04
    GF 7/05
    GC DL 7/1-7/4/07
    BWV 11/3-11/07
    SSR 5/15-20/09
    BLT 11/6-14/10
    BLT 5/9-13/11
    BLT 6/23-7/1/12
    BLT 8/17-25/13
    BLT 8/23-31/14
    BLT 6/20-28/15
    GC DL 6/21-25/16
    BLT 8/26-9/3/17
    BLT 8/25-9/2/18
    BLT 8/24-9/1/19
    GF 8/28-9/5/21

2. Likes eam, baldburke liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My youngest daughter (15) and I just rewatched "The Princess and the Frog" and were saying that a Splash Mountain redo feels like a natural fit for this movie. Well, except for the mountain part. Ain't no mountains in New Orleans/the bayou.

I will miss Splash Mountain, and even though they haven't said that this move is because of the current social movement/climate, I agree that it has to be a part of the decision. I think that they did a good job of removing any racist-overtones when they adapted Splash Mountain from The Song of the South, but it will always be tied to it.

This is one of those cases where I'm cool with them redoing the ride and modernizing it with a more current story and better effects (looking forward to an animatronic Louis, myself), but I will definitely miss Splash Mountain. Thank heaven we have YouTube and video ride thru's so that we will never forget.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

This is something that has been in the works for a while. It is not in response to recent events

Post Thanks / Like

This truly makes me cry. I live this ride, the movies and the characters. Brer Rabbit is a wonderful Disneybmemory for me. On our last trip I was able to get an autograph and picture during the Halloween Party. Never thought that would be the last trip I would ride this favorite or see him. So so sad

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy 1 View Post
    This is something that has been in the works for a while. It is not in response to recent events
    Yeah, I just read that last night. Definitely been working in it for quite a while. But, great timing, though!
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a fan of changing the ride either. It has always been one of the favorites.

10. Likes PopPhan, baldburke, texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just not seeing how they will fit a "mountain" into New Orleans...or Lousiana, at all. BUT, like everything else they do, I will wait and see what happens.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

12. Likes baldburke, texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I came to the 'cot today to start a thread about this but here is my thinking...

I just watched Princess and the Frog for the first time last week (I know I'm behind). I was kind of surprised at the portrayal of both the African American culture as well as the New Orleans/backwoods type culture. The whole movie to me looked like something out of the 80's. Not racist per say but very old timey and not very "current" Am I the only one?
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    Just not seeing how they will fit a "mountain" into New Orleans...or Lousiana, at all. BUT, like everything else they do, I will wait and see what happens.
    My thoughts exactly! No hills or mountains in the Mississippi Delta Region. Maybe they could configure it for post-Katrina flooding since NOLA is actually below sea level. I'm joking on this of course. Don't kick me off Intercot!

Anyway, I too am disappointed by all this cancel culture. Don't erase your past, embrace past shortcomings and recognize that we are now smarter and better. Otherwise we will surely fail again.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

15. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy 1 View Post
    It may have been in the works for a while - but it's also safe to say it was fast tracked by current events...
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

17. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

Mixed views on this one, Splash Mountain has been probably my favourite ride since I was a child and I will certainly miss it. I have never seen Song of the South but I saw it (as most people probably do?) as effectively a stand-alone ride. I have never been that keen on the recent trend of giving every stand-alone ride an overhaul based on a movie as then the original story is effectively lost forever.

That said I understand why some communities may find a ride based on Song of the South distressing and if they do it certainly isn't my place as a Caucasian British man to be telling them how they feel about it. For what it's worth the artist impressions do look very nice and it will be Disney's challenge to try and tie it in with the park location. I'll only be able to judge the move once it is finished I guess.

My biggest complaint is that with my next trip now scheduled for May 2021 I am in the situation where the refurb work will have almost definitely started but almost definitely not finished. So I get neither ride.
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanetMegan View Post
    So I came to the 'cot today to start a thread about this but here is my thinking...

I just watched Princess and the Frog for the first time last week (I know I'm behind). I was kind of surprised at the portrayal of both the African American culture as well as the New Orleans/backwoods type culture. The whole movie to me looked like something out of the 80's. Not racist per say but very old timey and not very "current" Am I the only one?
    Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    My thoughts exactly! No hills or mountains in the Mississippi Delta Region. Maybe they could configure it for post-Katrina flooding since NOLA is actually below sea level. I'm joking on this of course. Don't kick me off Intercot!

Anyway, I too am disappointed by all this cancel culture. Don't erase your past, embrace past shortcomings and recognize that we are now smarter and better. Otherwise we will surely fail again.
    Well, yeah. I haven't seen many talking gators or glowbugs down south either. Another great ride bites the dust. I keep waiting for the Hall of Presidents to be changed to the Hall of President since someone pretty much hates all of them.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

20. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm totally with you. Really bad move. And yeah, it was definitely politically motivated by current events. No doubt. My 9 year old cried for 30 minutes when I told her. It's her favorite ride, and mine, too. Hard to believe they'd take it out.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    I'm totally with you. Really bad move. And yeah, it was definitely politically motivated by current events. No doubt. My 9 year old cried for 30 minutes when I told her. It's her favorite ride, and mine, too. Hard to believe they'd take it out.
    Blood in the water now. Folks will find something about every ride.. By the end, there will just be dole whips (maybe) and a pond.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Blood in the water now. Folks will find something about every ride.. By the end, there will just be dole whips (maybe) and a pond.
    Guess ya always have the option to stay home then.

24. Thanks Wayne thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    My 9 year old cried for 30 minutes when I told her. It's her favorite ride, and mine, too. Hard to believe they'd take it out.
    It's actually harder to believe it took this long. It should have been done years ago. It's based on a theme and a movie the younger generations will never know and never relate to. It's being replaced by characters and songs the younger generations do know. And there's no reason to think the new version, when it opens, can't be a favorite of your daughter's as well.

Attractions change all the time over the years for various reasons. And we still seem to go back to enjoy them year after year - at least until a pandemic put a pin in it for a bit. Very much looking forward to the new splash ride.....

26. Thanks Wayne thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is all so sad that everything is political these days. I’m all for not hurting feelings, but Splash Mountain, seriously?

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting those of you who are saying that there are no mountains in New Orleans...there were no mountains in Brer Rabbit's story, either, but yet here we are. I mean, it's literally a story of Brer Rabbit being chased through bayou country *already*. It's no big stretch to just drop The Princess and the Frog's scenes into that ride.
    DL - 1996, 2019

29. Thanks Wayne thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    It's actually harder to believe it took this long. It should have been done years ago. It's based on a theme and a movie the younger generations will never know and never relate to. It's being replaced by characters and songs the younger generations do know. And there's no reason to think the new version, when it opens, can't be a favorite of your daughter's as well.

Attractions change all the time over the years for various reasons. And we still seem to go back to enjoy them year after year - at least until a pandemic put a pin in it for a bit. Very much looking forward to the new splash ride.....
    Actually, there is a reason. Perhaps they don't like the Princess and the Frog. I LOVED Maelstrom. I hate Frozen. I went on this ride once so that others could see it. I doubt if I ride it again unless I'm with a small child who loves Frozen.

There are lots of rides in the world that aren't based on a movie, and kids love them. Kids don't have to see Song of the South to like the ride. Pirates of the Caribbean was a beloved ride before the movies. It's ok that you are looking forward to it, but that doesn't mean everyone else will like the change.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

31. Likes texas211, joanna71985 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Actually, there is a reason. Perhaps they don't like the Princess and the Frog. I LOVED Maelstrom. I hate Frozen. I went on this ride once so that others could see it. I doubt if I ride it again unless I'm with a small child who loves Frozen.

There are lots of rides in the world that aren't based on a movie, and kids love them. Kids don't have to see Song of the South to like the ride. Pirates of the Caribbean was a beloved ride before the movies. It's ok that you are looking forward to it, but that doesn't mean everyone else will like the change.
    As much as I am not happy because I love the original I also thought The Princess and the Frog Movie was not good so that adds to why I am not too happy with this redo
    Contemp '78
    Offsite '84 & '88
    GF 11/02
    Beach Club 11/04
    GF 7/05
    GC DL 7/1-7/4/07
    BWV 11/3-11/07
    SSR 5/15-20/09
    BLT 11/6-14/10
    BLT 5/9-13/11
    BLT 6/23-7/1/12
    BLT 8/17-25/13