Quantcast EVC Help for a first time at WDW

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default EVC Help for a first time at WDW

Hello Disney Friends! I'm taking my mom in September and due to some health concerns she would like to rent a scooter. She has asked me a few questions that I haven't been able find the answers here after reading a number of posts.

Here are the questions I'm hoping you can help us with:

Mom is concerned someone will take her scooter (by mistake or on purpose) while she is riding an attraction. Any suggestions I can give her to make her feel better?

Are there places she can park her scooter and leave it for a short time while she rides or shops? She can still walk short periods but will need the scooter for the vast majority of the day. Can she park it in stroller areas perhaps?

If you have any other tips you would like to share to help my mom feel more content, please feel free to share.

Thank you so much!
    Michael
    You ain't never had a friend like me!

DVC Owner - AKL

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conan617 View Post
    Hello Disney Friends! I'm taking my mom in September and due to some health concerns she would like to rent a scooter. She has asked me a few questions that I haven't been able find the answers here after reading a number of posts.

Mom is concerned someone will take her scooter (by mistake or on purpose) while she is riding an attraction. Any suggestions I can give her to make her feel better?

Are there places she can park her scooter and leave it for a short time while she rides or shops? She can still walk short periods but will need the scooter for the vast majority of the day. Can she park it in stroller areas perhaps?

If you have any other tips you would like to share to help my mom feel more content, please feel free to share.

Thank you so much!
    I don't know if anyone has taken another's persons ECV in all of my trips. My lady friend and I have used an ECV for a large number of trips with no issue of theft. To my knowledge all of the ECV's have their own key like your car, always take your key if you are going to stray from it.

At rides there maybe a specific area to park or there are some that you can ride it to where you board. A cast member will Instruct you to take your key and they will move your ECV to an area where you de-board the ride. If your not sure just ask a cast member.

We have used Apple Scooter for our trips with few issues such as battery problems. There are a large number of off site providers to chose from. They are cheaper than Disney scooters and you can take them to the resort. Most of Disney's transportation can handle ECV's.

There are new policy's in place where you well need to arrange a pickup and drop off time as Disney Resorts will not accept or return them to an off site provider.

Hope this helps...
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

4. Thanks conan617 thanked for this post
    Likes conan617 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much!
    Although I can't say "No, no one would ever take her scooter", I can say that it hasn't happened to me in 5 trips. But what has happened is that CMs move things around to tidy up the area, like with strollers. So I always suggest you fix something to your ECV, like I always tie a bright pink bandana. Also, that way if your ECV gets misplaced, CMs will help you look for it and it's so much easier for them to be looking for "the ECV with a pink bandana on it".
    There's always somewhere to park the ECV while you go into stores, and the biggest thing is that you'll encounter questions after you get your ECV, and other ECV drivers are super nice and helpful. My first ECV use was on a solo trip, and a couple hours later I needed to use the restroom. I didn't know what to do with my ECV-drive in or park? and where? Finally, I just drove up to a couple other ECV drivers and asked-they were very nice and helpful.
    And some may recommend renting from a company that can leave your scooter for you at bell services. I like to meet the company, so they can show me how it works and I can ask last minute questions. I love Gold Mobility, because they meet me within minutes after I arrive and meet me to pick up the scooter just before the DME bus arrives for me to leave. Feel free to ask any other questions-I was a newbie myself just a few years ago, but I've learned so much!

6. Thanks conan617 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t use one myself but I will add to not leave anything valuable on it that someone can walk off with. Plus the birds there are relentless. Make sure any food is well packed because those birds will find a way to get it.

8. Thanks conan617 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
    I don't know if anyone has taken another's persons ECV in all of my trips. My lady friend and I have used an ECV for a large number of trips with no issue of theft. To my knowledge all of the ECV's have their own key like your car, always take your key if you are going to stray from it.
    This may be a silly question but if we take the key, can the CMs still move them around?
    Michael

DVC Owner - AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I found this on Disney's website and we will probably use Scooterbug since it seems WDW has selected them as provider of choice and will allow Scooterbug to deliver and pick up without from bell services

"ScooterBug, a private mobility rental company in the Central Florida area, is the Disney Featured Provider to offer stroller, ECV and wheelchair rentals at Walt Disney World Resort theme parks and Disney Springs in addition to length-of-stay rentals for Guests staying at Disney Resort hotels. When Disney Resort hotel Guests choose to rent through ScooterBug, the Guest does not need to be present when the equipment is delivered to the Resort hotel. ScooterBug will work with Disney Resort Cast Members to manage deliveries and returns of rented strollers, ECVs and wheelchairs. Pre-orders and deliveries of mobility rentals through ScooterBug to Disney Resort hotels are available by visiting scooterbug.com/orlando or calling (800) 726-8284."
    Michael

DVC Owner - AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much!
    We just got back from a four day trip to Disney World and rented from Walker Mobility for my mom. They allow you to schedule a pick up and drop off time and date. They deliver to all Disney Hotels. They have a new scooter called a double whammy which is two batteries. We were up at 5:30am to get a rise of the resistance boarding pass and did not return to room until 10:30pm some nights and the scooter was still running without a charge up during the day. Just remember to fully charge the scooter each night when going to bed. They also have a cell phone holder and a phone charger and a nice Led Light.
    We did not have anything stolen from our scooter. As far as the question concerning how does Disney move the scooter. Once you take the key out there is a yellow clutch on the bottom left which the cast member disengages and they can push the scooter without the key. I hope this information is helpful.

12. Thanks conan617 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This may be a silly question but if we take the key, can the CMs still move them around?
    Yes, they can. I used to wonder the same thing. Then once I figured out that they could, I asked them how. Turns out there's a lever in the rear that puts the ECV in Neutral (or they call "freewheel"). Once the lever is pushed to neutral, they (or you anytime you want) can push the ECV around. However, as I learned the hard way, if the lever is still in the neutral position when you put the key in and try to start the ECV, it won't start. You have to take the key back out, put the ECV back in gear (push the lever), THEN put the key in and try to start it. I was about ready to call the rental company and tell them my ECV wouldn't work the first time I tried to put the ECV into neutral and push it around. In my experience, the CMs have always remembered to put the ECV back in gear after they push it around. Me, not so much!

14. Thanks conan617 thanked for this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: