Quantcast Disney Skyliner Re-Opens & Walt Disney World Official Statement
 
INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
 

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Imaginoppolis, Imagination Island
    Posts
    14,255
    Post Thanks / Like

    Arrow Disney Skyliner Re-Opens & Walt Disney World Official Statement

    The Walt Disney World has re-opened the Disney Skyliner:

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smith, Editorial Content Director, Disney Parks

    Following a complete review with the manufacturer, we’ve made adjustments to our processes and training, and we are improving how we communicate with guests during their flight with Disney Skyliner. We again offer our deepest apologies to the guests impacted by the malfunction that resulted in extended operating delays on Oct. 5.

    Beginning today, guests may travel aboard Disney Skyliner from 8 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. However, system updates later this week will result in the following modified operating hours for Oct. 16-18:

    Oct. 16: The Disney Hollywood Studios line will be closed while the other two lines will be available from 1 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
    Oct. 17-18: All lines will be open from 1 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.

    Similar to ski lift systems, Disney Skyliner may slow or come to some stops during the ride, particularly when we need to accommodate guests who require additional time to load their cabin. We want to assure you that the comfort of every guest is important to us.

    As a reminder, Disney Skyliner connects Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios to four Disney resort hotels: Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, Disney’s Pop Century Resort, Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort (and the forthcoming Disney’s Riviera Resort, a Disney Vacation Club resort set to open Dec. 16, 2019).
    To clarify, the "malfunction" was a publicly documented incident where Skyliner cabs collided in the Disney Rivera Station and the "operational delays" were a shutdown of the entire line requiring a cab by cab evacuation.
    Figment! aka Jason o
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

    ~Its what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

    ~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

  2. Thanks Tekneek, Jeff thanked for this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
  4. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ...Disney Skyliner may slow or come to some stops during the ride, particularly when we need to accommodate guests who require additional time to load their cabin...
    I wonder if this means they'll change the loading procedure for ECVs/chairs from the temporary side-line to stopping the system and loading the cabins while they stay on the main line. A friend who works over there in transportation said that a big part of the issue was that the way they were loading ECVs changed the weight distribution along the length of the skyliner cable and that contributed to the problems.

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Orlando, U.S.
    Posts
    392
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So glad they reopened. I just knew when I saw the news that they were going to close it before I get to ride it.

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    MICHIGAN
    Posts
    2,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    To be honest, I was there the day it had an issue...I rode the gondolas three times in the days before. I think the big issue is not loading the EVCs and wheelchairs the problem is off loading. Let’s be honest half of the people driving EVCs are not experienced and normally can’t even back them up, let alone get them up the very small ramp to the gondolas. Just watch them trying to get on buses, why would they think gondolas would be easier...it’s actually a smaller space. CM should NOT be allowed to drive them in the car for them...who will help them drive it off? I imagine in the future you will see EVCs not allowed on gondolas.

    Also people with double strollers were complaining that they had to take their kids out and fold up. WTH, they can’t fit open and have people on both benches. One lady tried to insist that she be allowed to enter with it open,her child was sleeping...The bus requires you to close...I don’t believe handicapped access is giving to double strollers...yep, single strollers can be tagged as handicapped.

    PEOPLE....
    Pirate Granny




    March 2020 2 nights RR tower studio and 5 night BCV studio
    May 2020 4 night RR preferred studio and 4 night BRV studio
    November 2020 debating
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW

    OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

  7. Likes texas211, dnickels liked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Black Spire Outpost - Galaxy's Edge
    Posts
    23,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Granny View Post
    To be honest, I was there the day it had an issue...I rode the gondolas three times in the days before. I think the big issue is not loading the EVCs and wheelchairs the problem is off loading. Let’s be honest half of the people driving EVCs are not experienced and normally can’t even back them up, let alone get them up the very small ramp to the gondolas. Just watch them trying to get on buses, why would they think gondolas would be easier...it’s actually a smaller space. CM should NOT be allowed to drive them in the car for them...who will help them drive it off? I imagine in the future you will see EVCs not allowed on gondolas.

    Also people with double strollers were complaining that they had to take their kids out and fold up. WTH, they can’t fit open and have people on both benches. One lady tried to insist that she be allowed to enter with it open,her child was sleeping...The bus requires you to close...I don’t believe handicapped access is giving to double strollers...yep, single strollers can be tagged as handicapped.

    PEOPLE....
    Cause parents with double strollers are entitled, don't ya know??? I mean, how dare we think their 10 year old should ***GASP*** walk!!!! And yes, I have seen people with 8-10 year old kids in strollers before...

    As for the ECV, Disney has to make them accessible, and by taking a few gondolas off the line, stationary, waiting for ECV/wheelchair load, they are meeting the criteria... I don't think you will see them banned...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

    TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

    BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

  9. Likes dnickels liked this post
  10. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Posts
    2,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Granny View Post
    To be honest, I was there the day it had an issue...I rode the gondolas three times in the days before. I think the big issue is not loading the EVCs and wheelchairs the problem is off loading. Let’s be honest half of the people driving EVCs are not experienced and normally can’t even back them up, let alone get them up the very small ramp to the gondolas. Just watch them trying to get on buses, why would they think gondolas would be easier...it’s actually a smaller space. CM should NOT be allowed to drive them in the car for them...who will help them drive it off? I imagine in the future you will see EVCs not allowed on gondolas.

    Also people with double strollers were complaining that they had to take their kids out and fold up. WTH, they can’t fit open and have people on both benches. One lady tried to insist that she be allowed to enter with it open,her child was sleeping...The bus requires you to close...I don’t believe handicapped access is giving to double strollers...yep, single strollers can be tagged as handicapped.

    PEOPLE....
    Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Cause parents with double strollers are entitled, don't ya know??? I mean, how dare we think their 10 year old should ***GASP*** walk!!!! And yes, I have seen people with 8-10 year old kids in strollers before...

    As for the ECV, Disney has to make them accessible, and by taking a few gondolas off the line, stationary, waiting for ECV/wheelchair load, they are meeting the criteria... I don't think you will see them banned...

    I want to see an obstacle course test for people to be able to drive ECVs on property. Or ban the things. Not that would happen. Maybe bungee them to the front of the gondola like they do w/ bicycles on public buses.

    Strollers, kids walk? Kids wait, what's this concept you guys mention. I'd like to see a limit of 1 small umbrella stroller per family, unless you get licensed. I'm tired of being ben hur'd by those things, or have them driving over people. Similar complaint I have about the ecvs. I thought disney was limiting stroller size to help w/ these gondola issues, and others???
    ===================

    2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

    1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

  11. Likes dnickels liked this post
  12. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Black Spire Outpost - Galaxy's Edge
    Posts
    23,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    I want to see an obstacle course test for people to be able to drive ECVs on property. Or ban the things. Not that would happen. Maybe bungee them to the front of the gondola like they do w/ bicycles on public buses.

    Strollers, kids walk? Kids wait, what's this concept you guys mention. I'd like to see a limit of 1 small umbrella stroller per family, unless you get licensed. I'm tired of being ben hur'd by those things, or have them driving over people. Similar complaint I have about the ecvs. I thought disney was limiting stroller size to help w/ these gondola issues, and others???
    I really want to see someone who is confined to a wheelchair or ECV rappel down the line over the water at International Gateway... Cause you know it is bound to happen one day... I am not sure how handicapped friendly such a system is... Doesn't sound too friendly to me... At least with the cherry picker, an emergency responder can help get the person out of the gondola... Not going to be the case with the rappel line...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

    TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

    BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

  13. Thanks Tekneek thanked for this post
  14. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Posts
    2,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    I really want to see someone who is confined to a wheelchair or ECV rappel down the line over the water at International Gateway... Cause you know it is bound to happen one day... I am not sure how handicapped friendly such a system is... Doesn't sound too friendly to me... At least with the cherry picker, an emergency responder can help get the person out of the gondola... Not going to be the case with the rappel line...
    Ever watch Family Guy? Joe..
    ===================

    2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

    1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

  15. Likes Tekneek liked this post
  16. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Bethlehem, GA
    Posts
    3,111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    I really want to see someone who is confined to a wheelchair or ECV rappel down the line over the water at International Gateway...
    Unfortunately, I see this involving leaving their chair behind until the system is functioning again. There seems to be a whole lot of hope in their Skyliner plans, as in hoping they never face particular scenarios.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
Company
Advertising
Guest Relations
Community
Discussion Boards
Podcast
Newsletter
Shop
Social
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Pinterest
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Enter your email address below to receive our newsletter:
INTERCOT Logo PRIVACY STATEMENT / DISCLAIMER | DISCUSSION BOARD RULES
Since 1997 INTERCOT - a Levelbest Communications Website. This is not an official Disney website.
> Levelbest Network Site