Quantcast Saratoga Springs, Old Key West?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saratoga Springs, Old Key West?

Can I get some thoughts on these two properties? We are planning a trip and considering staying at either resort. My grown son wants gym access and the rest of us want easy access to parks. Thanks in advance!
    Been there, done that...CAN'T WAIT...going back!
    1971 (YES, 71...tour the trailers that housed the miniatures of the rides, resorts and property), 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18, 19 and soon....20!
    OVER forty eight years of Disney Dreaming!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed a couple of times at OKW and really loved it.

Neither are particularly close to the parks though, you'll have to drive or take a bus. Both offer a boat to Disney Springs, and you can walk from Saratoga.

Old Key West has a gym, and I'm assuming Saratoga does as well, and I believe they have a spa as well.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at Saratoga Springs, not OKW, and while I loved the resort it is not close to the parks as Ibelieveindisneymagic stated. Also, it is a large resort, we also found the boat to Disney Springs to be super slow. I would stay again because we don't mind driving to the parks and it really is a lovely resort.

Post Thanks / Like

For us, it's definitely OKW. The resort is nicer and the rooms are among the largest on property. Since OKW was the original DVC location, the rooms were built quite large and roomy.

You'll likely be taking a bus or boat from either resort to the parks or Disney Springs (depending where you stay at Saratoga, it can be a short walk or a very long walk to/from Disney Springs).

Both resorts have a gym. The one at OKW is located right by the main pool and community hall. I'm not exactly sure where it's located at SS, but I'm sure there is one. I believe all DVC resorts have a workout option - and it might be all Disney resorts in general.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple years ago we had a reservation for Ft Wilderness cabins. But when we arrived they said they were overbooked and asked if we'd like to stay at a DVC one-bedroom suite at Saratoga Springs. We took it! To be honest, we didn't venture too much around the resort -- our room was close to the main pool and buildings. It was nice - but it just felt a bit disjointed and spread out too much for us. I needed Tylenol or something from the gift shop and I went to a few different buildings before I found what I needed. Seemed really spread out and awkward. I ended up lost in some DVC building there where they do presentations for buyers and couldn't figure out where the heck I was going! haha!

I've also stayed at Old Key West before and really enjoyed it. No complaints, lots of bus stops. It was good too.

I mean, both resorts are great - but I would pick Old Key West over Saratoga Springs. Neither are close to the parks so you're at the mercy of the buses.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer OKW over Saratoga. Rooms at OKW are some of the largest on property, and they have just recently completed a major refurb of all the rooms. We're actually the right now. OKW has a very relaxed vibe about it. They do have a gym. The resort is large though, and you can be a very long way from the main area (check in, pool, store, gym). There is an internal bus with 5 bus stops. The property consists of 40-some buildings (2 or 3 stories each). But OKW was built prior to ADA going into effect, so most of the buildings do not have elevators. There are only 3 buildings with elevators (they are built later). If stairs are an issue, OKW may not be a good choice.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed at SS several times and loved it. I wouldn't say it has easy access to the parks, and it is HUGE resort. Be prepared to walk alot, esp if you are far from the gym/ main food court area. It's a really quick walk to Disney Springs, and it is a beautiful resort. It's just very, very spread out!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    But OKW was built prior to ADA going into effect, so most of the buildings do not have elevators. There are only 3 buildings with elevators (they are built later). If stairs are an issue, OKW may not be a good choice.

Steve
    When we have a trip where access is important for a member of our family, we've requested a first-floor room, and they have always accommodated us. But the lack of elevators was clearly a poor oversight when they first built this back in the early 90s.

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest issue with OKW is the bathroom design in the 1BR. It is in the master bedroom which I really do not like. I prefer the style at SSR where the bathroom is accessible from both the master and the living room as it gives much more privacy in the bedroom.
    Heidi (DS16, DD14 and the reluctant DH)
    June 02 off site
    Jan 07 VWL
    Sep 07 off site
    Jan 08 POFQ
    Oct 08 CSR
    Nov 09 Poly
    Nov 10 Off site
    Nov 11 Beach Club
    Nov 12 SSR
    Feb 14 OKW
    Feb 16 SSR
    Dec 17 Yacht Club
    Feb 19 SSR
    Feb 20 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginger19 View Post
    My biggest issue with OKW is the bathroom design in the 1BR. It is in the master bedroom which I really do not like. I prefer the style at SSR where the bathroom is accessible from both the master and the living room as it gives much more privacy in the bedroom.
    Agreed. However, it's an identified flaw that they have been fixing in many of the 1BRs at OKW over the past few years. I don't know that all of them now have a living room entrance to the bathroom, but many do. With our last stay at OKW last year, we had a room with the additional bathroom entrance.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: