Quantcast Sanaa- Used to be our all-time favorite

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sanaa- Used to be our all-time favorite

We just got back from a week at WDW, and like always, had ADR's at Sanaa. This has consistently been our favorite for years now. We love the service and atmosphere and have never had an issue. Until this trip. We checked in 15 minutes early, and ended up waiting 45 minutes to be seated. The Cm's at the check in station were borderline rude. I am not a difficult person- I like to greet people and generally am laid back. But this guy was really not friendly at all. He asked my name then cut me off right as I was trying to spell it for him (we have a weird last name that usually requires spelling...it sounds nothing like its spelled). He cut me off mid-sentence and handed me a pager and said go sit down. Um ok. We ended up waiting 45 minutes. I get it. It's not his fault. But please don't be so snippy. I get that things get behind. But don't make it so unpleasant.

We get seated and our server comes. I have always had the best service here. We love this place and I want to give it another chance. But I feel things have gone downhill. She was just not a great server. She seemed really peaved that we had kids with us- who btw were reading and drawing...they are not the run around and scream kind. I'm not sure what her deal was. I was not happy with the service at all. I would send in a comment- where do I do that? She was not up to par at all with our usual service. We ordered 2 wine flights and she haphazardly plonked down 6 wine glasses, turned on her heel, and left. No explanation, no enjoy. Nothing. I had to get my phone out to try to figure out what we had just been served. This has never happened here to us, especially not at Sanaa. Last year we had the most attentive server who thoroughly explained the flight to us, checked in on us, etc... We ended up waiting almost an hour for our food. And again, she plopped the food in front of us and ran.

I'm heartbroken that our favorite place has come to this. Maybe she was having a bad night. Maybe everyone that night decided to sit and stay 30 minutes over their projected dinner reservation. But still. This place has always had such good food and such an amazing atmosphere. Does anyone have any redeeming, recent stories about Sanaa? I was sorely disappointed and we left feeling very bereft of magic. It's such a shame. The food is so good. And the wine is excellent...if you can figure out what it is!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems like I have been seeing quite a few of these posts about poor service and rude cast members here lately.

To be honest, I'm not all that surprised though. When you pay employees low end wages, cut their hours all the time to save a couple bucks but then stretch them to their limits and push them randomly, at some point you end up scraping the bottom of the barrel and end up with what you deserve. We are in the middle of a really good economy where jobs are plentiful so employees don't have to stay at low wage ****** jobs right now. I honestly don't know how they keep employees around the place.

4. Likes lawgirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanaa is also one of our favorites at Disney - actually, one of our favorites anywhere. We've been there many times. I can tell you that we have had excellent service almost all the time, but about a year or so ago, we must've hit that bad combination of a busy night and a mediocre server (like you seem to have had). But don't give up on it yet! We have gone back since, and have again enjoyed the food and service we love and expect.

It's incredible to feel that a server at Disney World is surprised, let alone 'annoyed', there are kids at the table!! Unless you're a server at Victoria's and Albert's, it's pretty much a given! I bet 90% of the tables at Sanaa had kids that night!

I know it's too late at this point, but with a night like that, your best bet might've been to find a manager and discuss it with them at the restaurant. But if you decide to pursue an official complaint, the guest relations phone number or email would probably be the way to go - or maybe call the AKL directly.

All things considered, we've actually been getting quite concerned with the overall level of restaurant service at times at Disney. These types of 'bad service' nights seem to be more frequent than they used to be. One theory I've heard that makes sense is that with all the new restaurants and hotels around Orlando, the pool of good candidates just keeps getting thinner and thinner. And it's not only Sanaa. We've had "off" service nights at California Grill, in EPCOT restaurants, and a really bad night a couple years ago at 'OHana.

But be sure to go back and try again. I expect you'll find the experience to be more in line with your expectations. If you get the same server, asked to be moved!!

6. Likes lawgirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We had a similar experience at Be Our Guest. VERY rude server (Frankie)! We were rushed through dinner. We look forward to a relaxing meal after a full day at the parks and we love to sit and enjoy the dining experience and enjoy a glass of wine! This server seemed to have one thing on his mind "Get these people out of here so I can get the next family seated and get more tips"!

We have been back since and not been disappointed. The servers have been kinder to our needs on our return trips! Try Sanaa again.
    First WDW Trip 1984
    30+ Trips since 1984
    Disneyland 4 Visits
    Disneyland Paris 2010
    40th Wedding Anniversary December 2013
    Disney Cruises 2: Magic 2005, Fantasy 2012
    Last Trip November 2019

Post Thanks / Like

That is truly sad. I can remember a trip when we sat in Tutto Italia and had a nice meal, dessert and a drink and as we got up to leave, our server said "Please come back when you can stay and enjoy your meal." Not sarcastically, he was quite willing and happy to have us sit and relax with our meal. His comments were that Americans (in general) ate much too quickly and did not enjoy their meals. We had been taking up his table for almost an hour, and he was most attentive to our needs.

As far as Sanaa is concerned, I have never had a bad experience there. I am so sorry for yours.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the encouragement! And I truly know that everyone has bad days, and this night was very busy...I wish that management had been more visible and helpful in smoothing out the super long wait and chaotic atmosphere. Sanaa has always been our favorite, and it was just very disappointing to experience a rude server after waiting 45 minutes to be seated (with reservations!). Hopefully our next experience will be much better. We've always had the best service here- I always enjoy the interaction with our server and we love South African wine...to have someone literally plop 6 glasses, haphazardly at your table then run away is really just not acceptable, anywhere. We still enjoyed it, but Bernadette seemed intent on derailing the magic that night. But I'll definitely give it another chance. The naan service is just too good!! Thanks guys!!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club