Quantcast Best Resort Counter Service?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Resort Counter Service?

Hey! We'll be heading to WDW in August and want to explore some different dining options. I have several ADR's for Sanaa, Cape May Cafe, and Maya Grill. I'm wanting to add a couple of casual dining/ counter service meals for dinner. We love The Mara at AKL, and also enjoyed the Contempo Cafe. I always like to try new places and was curious about Captain Cook's and possibly Gasparilla Grill. Would love to hear your favorites and also if you have any favorite "hidden" dining spots. We love exploring other resorts and new to us dining spots.
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

2. Likes Jeff liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

For sit down you could try Boatwrights at POR or even their counter service, which is also very good. A benefit to eating here, if you are willig to make a night of it, you could time it so you could see the YeeHaw Bob show in the River Roost lounge and you can also take a break by taking the boat to and from Disney Springs for a nice relaxing break.

5. Thanks lawgirl thanked for this post
    Likes texas211, lawgirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Besides the above, I've also enjoyed the food court at POR. Regarding Captain Cook's-I went on a solo trip and thought it was excellent, so I took DH there. He didn't like it at all. So mixed reviews.

7. Thanks lawgirl thanked for this post
    Likes texas211, lawgirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

POR's food court has the build your own pasta station. I like watching them catch our food on fire when we eat there.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

9. Thanks lawgirl thanked for this post
    Likes texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the dining at POR, our favorite resort.

Only negative. Boatrights isn't open for breakfast, and the food court breakfast, like everywhere else at WDW, isn't great. But thats more on Disney as a whole than the resort.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

11. Thanks lawgirl thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it's not much help, buy you've already hit our favorite counter service - Mara at AKL. I'll mention a new place we just experienced recently (we also like to try and find new spots) - we were very pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed Wine Bar George at Disney Springs. Some fun small plates and different options. We'll definitely go back again. It's a place I haven't read about too much on Intercot.

Have a great trip!

13. Thanks lawgirl thanked for this post
    Likes lawgirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    I know it's not much help, buy you've already hit our favorite counter service - Mara at AKL. I'll mention a new place we just experienced recently (we also like to try and find new spots) - we were very pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed Wine Bar George at Disney Springs. Some fun small plates and different options. We'll definitely go back again. It's a place I haven't read about too much on Intercot.

Have a great trip!
    That sounds fun- I will check that out. I've heard good reviews and it looks like a fun place. The Mara is so great, isn't it? My dad and I went to AKL right when it opened and have been HUGE fans ever since. Thanks!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
    Besides the above, I've also enjoyed the food court at POR. Regarding Captain Cook's-I went on a solo trip and thought it was excellent, so I took DH there. He didn't like it at all. So mixed reviews.
    It looked like a neat place to visit. we love Kona Cafe and just walking around the Poly in general. What do you like about it? What did he not like about it? The menu looked really good to me!

Post Thanks / Like

Like many have said, our favourites are POR and Captain Cooks.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

17. Likes lawgirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy the kid options at POFQ and the Contemporary resorts. They refurbished the POFQ food court. No more creepy masks.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

19. Likes Cinderelley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    POR's food court has the build your own pasta station. I like watching them catch our food on fire when we eat there.
    They seem to have removed the "make your own pasta". It is a shame, I really enjoyed that station, and just a heads-up, in case anyone was planning on it.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

21. Thanks lawgirl thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    They seem to have removed the "make your own pasta". It is a shame, I really enjoyed that station, and just a heads-up, in case anyone was planning on it.
    O.O I'm glad we went in November then.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Gaspirilla Grill at Grand Floridian a lot. It seems to be a bit quieter than other resort counter service offerings. Like Captain Cook's, they give you a number and bring the food to your table.

I don't recommend the counter service at the Beach or Yacht Club. The Beach Club is always hectic and has little seating. The Yacht Club is new and has a wider variety of pre-packaged offerings than other places (I think they are catering to the convention attendees). However, the last time I went there I ordered a sandwich and it was not made-to-order, but rather just heated up. I prefer made-to-order foods for reasons of freshness and because I have certain diet restrictions so I like being able to customize by leaving off things I can't eat.

I echo the other person who recommends Wine Bar George! I've been twice and love it. The amount of wine on their menu is unbelievable. You can even order small 2 oz tastings of many varieties. You can just have drinks, drinks and apps, or a full meal -- rarely is a reservation needed. I've had a few different apps and they were all delicious. The first time I happened to order a wine that was a favorite of George and he came out to pour it for me. He is one of less than 200 master sommeliers in the US.
    DVC Member
    Boston, MA and Celebration, FL

24. Thanks lawgirl thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Geyser Point at the Wilderness Lodge.

26. Thanks lawgirl thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Poly counter service is my favorite. Besides the regular burgers and chicken nuggets you can get stir fry and the pulled pork sandwich is my favorite. I used to get the adult grilled cheese, but the last couple years they won’t special order it for you. The cooks were nice about the request but they didn’t really remember how to make it. Then I get a dole whip at outside counter stand.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

28. Thanks lawgirl thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katzateer View Post
    Poly counter service is my favorite. Besides the regular burgers and chicken nuggets you can get stir fry and the pulled pork sandwich is my favorite. I used to get the adult grilled cheese, but the last couple years they won’t special order it for you. The cooks were nice about the request but they didn’t really remember how to make it. Then I get a dole whip at outside counter stand.
    I think we will definitely check it out. I love walking around the Poly anyways!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: