Quantcast Galaxys Edge in trouble? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I just had an email yesterday that had three different looks (about 5 second video caps) of the new ride Millenioum Falcon: Smugglers Run. I don't want to prejudge, but based on that short look, it appears that the ride is a combination of Mission Space and Star Tours. Does that seem about right? If that is true, with all the hype about Galaxy's Edge, that would seem to be a bit of a let down. I'm hoping though that it will knock my socks off, whenever I finally get down there.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, was in Jr High when the very first movie came out, so I grew up on it. If they can do what Universal did with recreating Hogwarts/Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, then I think it will be a success. After all, those two lands at Universal really only supported one ride each (until the recent Hagrid's ride). But if the land is nothing more than souvenir stores and counter service and character meet and greets, it will be a huge let down. With all the great John Williams soundtracks, would seem almost unbelievable that there would be no background music playing.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiking Ghost View Post
    I just had an email yesterday that had three different looks (about 5 second video caps) of the new ride Millenioum Falcon: Smugglers Run. I don't want to prejudge, but based on that short look, it appears that the ride is a combination of Mission Space and Star Tours. Does that seem about right? If that is true, with all the hype about Galaxy's Edge, that would seem to be a bit of a let down. I'm hoping though that it will knock my socks off, whenever I finally get down there.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, was in Jr High when the very first movie came out, so I grew up on it. If they can do what Universal did with recreating Hogwarts/Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, then I think it will be a success. After all, those two lands at Universal really only supported one ride each (until the recent Hagrid's ride). But if the land is nothing more than souvenir stores and counter service and character meet and greets, it will be a huge let down. With all the great John Williams soundtracks, would seem almost unbelievable that there would be no background music playing.
    But I feel the difference, at least for me, that many people dreamed of going to Hogwarts/Harry Potter world for 20+ years if they read the original books, or 10-15 years when they saw the movies. The new Star Wars stuff really trades on only the last few years of SW lore/history, and not the stuff we've all thought about (Endor, Jabba's Palace, classic star destroyers and Death Star). Even 15/20 years ago, Coruscant, Jedi Palace, Naboo, Tatootoine and Hoth.

The new SW holds no interest (as I hate the new films, though Rogue One wasn't bad). I have no fond memories or dreams.

I wish Universal would buy Star Trek and build me an Enterprise resort with a holodeck.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

4. Likes Tekneek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I grew up on the original trilogy too.. And I love the prequels and sequels, enjoyed Solo... Loved Rogue One... Galaxy's Edge is not our Star Wars... It is now Disney's Star Wars.... Nothing from the original trilogy appears in this land... No Luke, no Leia... Only Chewbacca... Everything is First Order, Kylo Ren, Rey... Even Smuggler's Run is based on Solo, not the Han Solo we knew from the OT...

As for the ride, it is a combo of Star Tours and Mission Space... Only difference, one adventure not several as we were promised... Look how long it took them to input that into Star Tours... and we are still waiting for the randomness of Toy Story Mania.... People I know who have been on Smugglers Run in DL say unless you are the pilot, it's boring... Engineers really have nothing to do... And the gunners: no action....

Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley bring you into the world of Harry Potter, even the dark and dingy Knockturnal Alley... You walk into those lands and feel transported to Wizarding World... In Galaxy's Edge, where are you transported??? I know it is supposed to be Star Wars, but it isn't any Star Wars we know... Unless Batuu is in Rise of Skywalker... Disney doesn't want background music playing because, well, on Batuu, there isn't music playing on the planet... Lame excuse if you ask me... I mean, there wasn't music playing on Diagon Alley either, yet there is background music in the theme park... it is all about atmosphere, and as of right now, Disney is failing on the Star Wars atmosphere in Galaxy's Edge...

With that said, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt they will fix the issues and address the concerns...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak for DL, but I am sure Galaxy's Edge in WDW will be packed come end of Aug
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

7. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I have seen very few people mention in the media, is that Galaxy’s edge opened with only one of it’s promised rides. And from everything I have read the Rise of the Resistance is supposed to be the big e-ticket ride for the land. Having pointed that out, I was actually there on June 24th. Smugglers run wasn’t bad, kind of like an interactive Star Tours. My 15 year old son loved it though. He went back and rode it 11 times using the single rider line. My perception of Galaxies edge when I was there was it was not a failure, for the simple reason that they were sold out of a lot of the merchandise that I had seen on YouTube before I went.

Ps. It was my first trip to DL, and though I now realize it was dumb luck, I loved the unusually small crowds. The only thing we waited more than 20 minutes for was Smuggler’s Run.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Not having background music really surprises me, especially since they released a theme for the land composed by John Williams! It's Star-Wars-y, but doesn't have a classic light meter that grabs you.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1998 View Post
    One thing I have seen very few people mention in the media, is that Galaxy’s edge opened with only one of it’s promised rides. And from everything I have read the Rise of the Resistance is supposed to be the big e-ticket ride for the land. Having pointed that out, I was actually there on June 24th. Smugglers run wasn’t bad, kind of like an interactive Star Tours. My 15 year old son loved it though. He went back and rode it 11 times using the single rider line. My perception of Galaxies edge when I was there was it was not a failure, for the simple reason that they were sold out of a lot of the merchandise that I had seen on YouTube before I went.

Ps. It was my first trip to DL, and though I now realize it was dumb luck, I loved the unusually small crowds. The only thing we waited more than 20 minutes for was Smuggler’s Run.
    Disney didn't stock well enough for merchandise... They thought certain would fly off the shelves and others wouldn't... They really misjudged... The sell outs were because they failed in stocking enough... So yea, not a sign of failure or success of a land... More like a failure of management not understanding their customers...

As for the main E ticket, you aren't wrong... And many of us have been saying let's see what happens in DL once the E ticket opens in January and black outs are ended...

For what it is worth, I am hearing crowds have picked up now....

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Not having background music really surprises me, especially since they released a theme for the land composed by John Williams! It's Star-Wars-y, but doesn't have a classic light meter that grabs you.
    My understanding is the music will play inside the tunnels entering the land but not while in the land itself... And all videos I have watched, there is no background music...

Post Thanks / Like

I had forgotten to as earlier, is MF: Smugglers Run, does it have multiple simulators (Like ST and MS) or is it just one simulator that you queue up for?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    No John Williams, I'm out.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like they admitted management blunders, at least in regards to Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland, on the investor call yesterday. Apparently 'build it and they will come' was not enough and they are stepping up promotions/discounts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    Sounds like they admitted management blunders, at least in regards to Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland, on the investor call yesterday. Apparently 'build it and they will come' was not enough and they are stepping up promotions/discounts.
    It would have been better if they stepped up fixing the problems instead of just offering discounts.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

16. Likes Tekneek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    It would have been better if they stepped up fixing the problems instead of just offering discounts.
    Not the disney way.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

MY Niece is a cast member at DW and is now relocated in SWL. She has made a Droid loves it. Rode the attraction: unless you are the pilot ehh, and walked the land over and over, ehh. She loves being part of the new land. She said it will have a huge initial draw and crowds will be insane.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

19. Likes baldburke, Cinderelley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    MY Niece is a cast member at DW and is now relocated in SWL. She has made a Droid loves it. Rode the attraction: unless you are the pilot ehh, and walked the land over and over, ehh. She loves being part of the new land. She said it will have a huge initial draw and crowds will be insane.
    My niece is in the college internship program and just started working there about a month ago too. She's having great fun (maybe until it opens and is mobbed) and even met a few celebs. I'll wait until at least 2021 to go.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

21. Likes Cinderelley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad both of them are having a great time.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

23. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OK so apparently the crowds still haven't descended onto Disneyland and into Galaxy's Edge... Disney management fumbled this... Don't listen to the haters out there... Star Wars isn't dead... Disney management??? Well we need to put a mirror under their nose to make sure they are breathing...

Same issues DL has, WDW will have... GE is too small, cantina is too small, Docking Bay 7 is too small... No sit down restaurant... No streetmosphere... While the land may look nice, Chapek did everything he could to kill the atmosphere...

#FIRECHAPEK #IGERRESIGN

Post Thanks / Like

I had forgotten to as earlier, is MF: Smugglers Run, does it have multiple simulators (Like ST and MS) or is it just one simulator that you queue up for?
    There are multiple cabins running at the same time
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Remind me to tell you how much greater SWGE could have been if Chapek was told to go home and leave Imagineering alone... When you hear what was cut, you'll be maaaaaaad....

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to hear about what could have been. I don't like being mad.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

28. Likes PopPhan, texas211 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: