Quantcast Mangalore, India.....

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mangalore, India.....

Does anyone have any info on Mangalore...southwest Indian coast???

My current girlfriend is from that area, been in the US for 25 years, and has invited me to go with her and her kids to visit her family. She hasn't been home for a few years and finally has a chance to get back for a while.

Going for 3 weeks, then leaving her and her 2 youngest there for another 2 weeks, while her eldest and I come back.

Staying with her family, so lodging is not a concern.

Just checking to see if anyone has been to that area and what I might expect....

Thanks!!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18 - PC
    5/15 - POR

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ????

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a note....Returned from trip yesterday and, at the US Customs area, I heard music playing for a Welcome video....It was the Illuminations soundtrack!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    5/15 - POR

4. Likes Cinderelley, Katzateer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope you enjoyed the trip!

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    Just a note....Returned from trip yesterday and, at the US Customs area, I heard music playing for a Welcome video....It was the Illuminations soundtrack!
    Did this happen in Orlando?
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

6. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to hear about your travels.
    We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together

Not
    We believed in our idea - a place to line the pockets of CEOs and shareholders

8. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    I hope you enjoyed the trip!

Did this happen in Orlando?
    Nope. Washington, D.C. -- Dulles Airport
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    5/15 - POR

10. Thanks magicofdisney thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting a 'slow burn' on the trip report....

This was my first overseas trip. I have been to the Mexican Riviera, Canada, and the Bahamas before, but this was completely new and different.

First things first...Flights/Airports

If you have never flown overseas this will be new info, but if you have you can commiserate with me. LOL

Flew Lufthansa out of Washington - Dulles Airport to Frankfurt, Germany, then from Frankfurt to Bangalore, India. Economy.

Now, anyone who knows me knows that I am not a small man. Seats in Economy are not large by any stretch of the imagination and my seats were primarily in the center of the sections. To say I was uncomfortable would be an understatement. Cramped, no back support and sitting for 9 hours was not fun. Flights were smooth, though. Food on the planes was 'meh' at best. Flight staff, on all flights, was wonderful. Took good care of us and was very attentive to requests and needs.

Dulles Airport was not very impressive for an international airport. Small, little in the way of shops to spend the time waiting to board.

Frankfurt was much larger and nicer to wander through. This was good because we had over 4 hours between flights. I am not much for wandering around in an airport, but there was enough to keep me occupied for the layover.

Did not see much of Bangalore Airport on the flight in. We deplaned, picked up our bags, my friend hit the Duty Free shops for some last minute things for her family, and we met her brother for the ride to his home in Mysore. (More on the actual trip to follow.)

Flights back were much the same -- long, cramped, etc. Another 4 hour layover in Frankfurt, then back to DC. US Customs was a pain in the butt. Over an hour wait in line for a two minute check to see that we didn't bring anything illegal back with us.

In that it was only my friends' eldest son and myself coming back, we flew from Mangalore to Bangalore rather than having someone drive us the 7+ hours to get there. That was a 1 hour flight, so no problems there. Due to the monsoon rains, we left early the morning before our 'real' flight to beat any possible storm related delays. This gave us almost a full day around the Bangalore Airport.

Our homeward bound flight from Bangalore was at 3:05AM and we got to the airport at 10AM the day before. Now what do we do??? LOL Neat thing about Bangalore Airport -- Instead of having all the shops inside the airport, they have an outdoor 'marketplace' outside the main entrance to the airport. We did not see. or pay attention, to this on our way in because it was late at night when we arrived, we were tired, and her brother was there to pick us up right away.

The marketplace had a number of little shops with trinkets, t-shirts, and other souvenirs, as well as more than a few restaurants - mostly fast food (Subway, Pizza Hut, Krispy Kreme, and some 'local' food shops) The layout was nice and got us out of the airport for a while, but not nearly long enough.

We decided to take a walk to the hotel at the end of the marketplace/airport parking and that was a good thing!!! The hotel was called Taj and could be classified as a decent 4-star venue. We asked if there was a way to get a room just for the day to rest and freshen up before heading back to the airport, but nothing was available. HOWEVER, the concierge offered us a "Departure Package" they have that gave us access to the lounge, pool area, free WiFi, spa, steam room, and one meal - either lunch or dinner - at the hotel cafe. For 5,900 rupees (approximately $85) total for the two of us, it turned out to be a GREAT deal.

It turned out that the access to the spa was actually a one-hour full body massage at no additional cost. (Their spa menu had it listed at 6,600 rupees per person!) OMG!!! How have I never experienced this before?!?!?!?!!!! Wonderful!

We really didn't take advantage of the steam room, weight room, or lounge that much, but spent a bit of time lounging by the pool. Outdoors, overlooking the airport and the mountain range in the distance.

Later in the evening, we went down to the cafe for a bite, thinking it would be a small entree and drink. Enough to tide us over, but nothing special. WRONG!!!! The meal included soup or salad, appetizer, entree, dessert, and non-alcoholic drink. Definitely got our money's worth there!

All in all, travel to/from India was basic. If you do something like this, spend the extra for Business or Business Select. The slightly larger space and better seats are well worth it. The early trip back to Bangalore was a good idea with the storms and the thought to go to the hotel to spend the day turned out to be a highlight of the entire trip. LOL

Next, an overview of the trip itself....
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    5/15 - POR

Post Thanks / Like

I may be going to Japan in December. It could be anywhere from a 17hr-20hr flight (with a layover). Not looking forward to extended time on the plane.

You're not kidding about that hotel deal you came upon. A 1hr massage?? Wow!

So far, so good with this trip.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

13. Likes PopPhan liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: