Quantcast Shades of Green VS All-Star for 2 Adult women? Parking at the resort?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shades of Green VS All-Star for 2 Adult women? Parking at the resort?

I've never even seen Shades of Green, but there is a Veteran's rate in January of $164/night with taxes and fees vs. All-star Music with $99 + Tax.

For our dates, it's $492 total at SOG vs $337 (no tickets included).

SOG has coffee maker and fridge, while I believe all of the All-stars only have a fridge. Not a huge deal- I can bring a coffee maker since I live in FL in the winter and am driving over.

What about parking? I read that Disney now charges for parking at the resorts, but don't see the fee listed. That might make it much more even, if SOG doesn't charge for parking.

It's a friend and I, so we need two beds and a fridge. Otherwise, we'll spend all our time at the parks.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    I've never even seen Shades of Green, but there is a Veteran's rate in January of $164/night with taxes and fees vs. All-star Music with $99 + Tax.

For our dates, it's $492 total at SOG vs $337 (no tickets included).

SOG has coffee maker and fridge, while I believe all of the All-stars only have a fridge. Not a huge deal- I can bring a coffee maker since I live in FL in the winter and am driving over.

What about parking? I read that Disney now charges for parking at the resorts, but don't see the fee listed. That might make it much more even, if SOG doesn't charge for parking.

It's a friend and I, so we need two beds and a fridge. Otherwise, we'll spend all our time at the parks.
    Per the SOG website, self-parking is $9/night. Value resorts are $13/night, increasing to $15 soon.

Having stayed in both places, I'd tend to favor SOG. The rooms are MUCH larger than the All-Stars. SOG was originally the Disney Inn, therefore the room sizes are similar to the other Disney resorts from the same time period--the Poly and the Contemporary. SOG has buses to the parks, but if you don't mind a short walk, SOG is very convenient to the Poly to board the monorail there to MK and to the transportation and ticket center for the monorail to Epcot.

All Stars wins on food though, in my opinion, as the Disney hotel food courts are better.
    DVC Member
    Boston, MA and Celebration, FL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan1979 View Post
    Per the SOG website, self-parking is $9/night. Value resorts are $13/night, increasing to $15 soon.

Having stayed in both places, I'd tend to favor SOG. The rooms are MUCH larger than the All-Stars. SOG was originally the Disney Inn, therefore the room sizes are similar to the other Disney resorts from the same time period--the Poly and the Contemporary. SOG has buses to the parks, but if you don't mind a short walk, SOG is very convenient to the Poly to board the monorail there to MK and to the transportation and ticket center for the monorail to Epcot.

All Stars wins on food though, in my opinion, as the Disney hotel food courts are better.
    Thank you- I was wondering about the busses and frequency- but if we can simply walk to the Poly, I won't have to worry about that at all. We've recently traveled to Europe together, and wearing my fitbit I walked daily between 8 and 11 miles and she's the same way, so a walk definitely will not hurt!

How about getting to Disney Springs for dinner and drinks, if we're out of the parks? Bus from SOG or Poly?

Oh, and do you know if SOG does EMH?

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at SOG and honestly, we use the Poly as our home resort. It is a short walk and once there, use the buses, monorail and eat often at Kona’s and the countersevice at the Poly. The only food I have gotten at SOG is from the Starbucks and coffee shop in the morning.

I don’t like the bus service at SOG but have used it in the mornings and coming back from Epcot ( there is a bus that picks up from ticket and transportation center that takes you back to SOG.

They do have a bus to Disney Springs but the drop off is different. We normally just take it from Poly.

I go without my husband some trips and can’t stay at SOG on solo trips. With the remodeled value resort rooms, they are nice. But you will be getting a huge room at SOG, it is normally pretty quiet, and the staff and guests are all very friendly.

There is a great view of the MK fireworks on top of the parking garage.

They do have EMH and FP+ and dining dates same as Disney resorts. If you don’t get your tickets ahead of time, you can get your passes at SOG discounted.

And they do charge for parking.

The only downside for SOG is they don’t use the Magical Express. We use Mears to get to resort from airport.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much! I live in FL in the winter, so will be driving over and picking my friend up at MCO so we wouldn't need/use ME anyway.

One more question, if you don't mind. I made my reservation today at SOG, because it's cancellable, and my friend doesn't have her exact dates on her flight yet. So we haven't bought or linked tickets yet. But I don't see an option to link SOG in MDE. Do I need to call to do that? I want to make sure that we are all set to get out FP+ when the time comes, otherwise there is no hurry. I do see that magicbands aren't included, and mine will be 4 years old and she doesn't have one so we will need to order those.

Sorry for all the questions- this is all new to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that is one problem I forgot about- no free MB. But you can use your old magic bands. I think I have had to call to link up our tickets to My Disney Experience and for the SOG to show up on the site. One year I had to call several times. It shouldn’t be a problem but just watch your dates and
    make sure the reservation shows up on MDE before your FP+ and dining dates open up. I have had it linked and then it disappeared!!

I always look about 24 hours before my windows open up on MDE and if the resort reservations aren’t showing up, I call Disney to get it corrected.

Wishes!

8. Thanks Yooper thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan1979 View Post

Having stayed in both places, I'd tend to favor SOG. The rooms are MUCH larger than the All-Stars. SOG was originally the Disney Inn, therefore the room sizes are similar to the other Disney resorts from the same time period--the Poly and the Contemporary.
    I agree with you about SOG - definitely my recommendation over All-Stars. But the resort itself was originally The Golf Resort even before Disney Inn and SOG. And it does have some of the larger rooms, as it opened about 2 years after the park and the monorail resorts. I got to stay there decades ago when I used to do more golfing! We loved the place.

Hope you enjoy your trip, Yooper!!

10. Thanks Yooper thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    I agree with you about SOG - definitely my recommendation over All-Stars. But the resort itself was originally The Golf Resort even before Disney Inn and SOG. And it does have some of the larger rooms, as it opened about 2 years after the park and the monorail resorts. I got to stay there decades ago when I used to do more golfing! We loved the place.

Hope you enjoy your trip, Yooper!!
    I had been informed that the original building of this resort was for the executive builders and planners that stayed there during the construction of WDW. Since it was being built basically in the middle of swamp land and cow ranch’s they needed a nearby place to stay. After WDW opened it was the golf resort and Disney Inn. Then the military leased or bought the resort to move the military resort accommodations out of the Contemporary. Now it is a military base and can only be accessed by visitors with military ID’s.

Wishes!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    Thank you- I was wondering about the busses and frequency- but if we can simply walk to the Poly, I won't have to worry about that at all. We've recently traveled to Europe together, and wearing my fitbit I walked daily between 8 and 11 miles and she's the same way, so a walk definitely will not hurt!

How about getting to Disney Springs for dinner and drinks, if we're out of the parks? Bus from SOG or Poly?

Oh, and do you know if SOG does EMH?
    I think the Disney Springs bus is less frequent than their buses to the parks. But I do remember all the SOG buses following their set schedule pretty closely and being reliable. Though I've only stayed there in January when it's quiet overall.

Like another Intercoter said, you can take the bus from the Poly. Or you could also do an Uber.
    DVC Member
    Boston, MA and Celebration, FL

13. Thanks Yooper thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My opinion is take SOG. Rooms are largest on property. I actually like the bus service. You know exactly when the buses will pick up and drop off. I have stood in line for POP bus only to have it fill up and have to wait for a second or third bus. Sometimes its quite a wait. I have never had to wait for a second bus at Shades. You have busses to AK, HS, DS, TL, BB and TT. Very short walk to Poly and you can take monorail or boat to MK/TT or you can take Disney buses anywhere. I do agree that some of the Disney resorts have more food options. I rarely eat at hotel. Parking is less expensive than Disney resorts. Yes, you can link your Shades reservation number to MDE. Just did it for my June 2020 trip. Fast passes are 60 days out. If you already own magic bands you can link your tickets and fast passes to them on MDE.
    You can always purchase them and have everything added. No you cannot purchase things with magic bands but you can have your packages shipped to the hotel.
    WORK TO PAY FOR DISNEY
    2020 June SOG
    2017 MNSSHP POP
    2014 August Shades of Green
    2012 August POP
    2008 September POP
    2007 April Shades of Green
    2004 April Shades of Green
    2001 March Shades of Green
    1998 December Shades of Green
    1995 March off site

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much! We are waitlisted for our first night (January 12), so we are booked at All-Star Sports for that night. I decided to go a day early, before my friend arrives, so I'm going to stay on Jan 11 at AS sports alone to get a full day in before she comes over.
    I saw the SOG price list, and while it's not a big discount at all for the Veteran price, there is no Florida sales tax, so I'll buy my tickets from SOG as well I guess.
    I'm going to buy a Gold AP (Florida resident) for myself, and a 5 day ticket for my friend.

Post Thanks / Like

my friend is retired military so i have stayed at SOG w him..def a nice play to stay. the buffet is decent price, you can walk to Poly, the bus is like once an hr or so...been a few yrs so not sure..friend took his friend recently and they liked it too. there is a parking fee but IDT as much as disney. basically a deluxe for a mod or less price. and the ticket prices are nice
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM