Quantcast Disney outpricing me!
 
INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Westerly,R.I.
    Posts
    1,324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Disney outpricing me!

    I haven't been to WDW in about 3 years now. We were going quite often before that. We've been traveling to the Caribbean instead and so We decided it's about time for a trip back to our favorite place in the world,talk about sticker shock! The room prices are crazy high and the tix aren't cheap either.We found that Universal was such a better deal,and although we love Universal,Disney will always be home.Even the Value resorts are stupid expensive. I think Disney may be a 1 every 5 years trip for now on instead of our twice or better annually. Kind of sad that the working class has been priced out of the magic but so be it.I'm not the only person that we know who says the same thing. Off my Soapbox now.Still have wonderful memories of Disney.
    Poly10/75
    FWCabins3/93Poly11/01
    CBR4/05PORand BC2/06Pop11/06
    MarriottGrandeVista5/07
    CBR9/07
    Pop1/08
    POFQ5/08
    CS 9/08
    POFQ 5/09
    CBR9/09
    HRH11/09
    POFQ/POLY5/10
    WL12/10
    Allstar Music1/11
    POFQ 5/11
    OKW 3/31/12
    SSR 9/13
    CBR 9/14
    POR9/16
    CB Univ

    Avatar in remembrance of my Dear Old Dad "Big Al"

  2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    York, PA
    Posts
    2,789
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If you are a Sam's Club member, check out their prices for tickets. I just got a Platinum Annual Pass (yesterday) for under $925 including taxes. That's about $200 under the new PAP price without taxes included.

    The nice thing is that you can attach the voucher information to your MDE account and not have to activate it until December 31, 2030!!!!! It is there and ready for me when I am ready to go back and I don't have to worry about price increases in the interim!
    -Bud

    Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18 - PC
    5/15 - POR

    Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

    Next up: ????

  4. Likes Katzateer liked this post
  5. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PetefromRI View Post
    I haven't been to WDW in about 3 years now. We were going quite often before that. We've been traveling to the Caribbean instead and so We decided it's about time for a trip back to our favorite place in the world,talk about sticker shock! The room prices are crazy high and the tix aren't cheap either.We found that Universal was such a better deal,and although we love Universal,Disney will always be home.Even the Value resorts are stupid expensive. I think Disney may be a 1 every 5 years trip for now on instead of our twice or better annually. Kind of sad that the working class has been priced out of the magic but so be it.I'm not the only person that we know who says the same thing. Off my Soapbox now.Still have wonderful memories of Disney.
    Yes, we have also had to cut down on our trips and I know people who just can't afford to go any more. I hope that Disney isn't pricing itself out of the market...

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    7,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    People will pay the prices to go see the new stuff, so Disney's pockets are still getting stuffed. Eventually they will hit the ceiling, but it hasn't happened yet.
    We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together

    Not
    We believed in our idea - a place to line the pockets of CEOs and shareholders

  7. Likes PopPhan liked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Posts
    2,233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kathkwilts View Post
    Yes, we have also had to cut down on our trips and I know people who just can't afford to go any more. I hope that Disney isn't pricing itself out of the market...
    Nah, they are just catering to the folks who can afford a premium trip, and pay more per person. Hence more wow factor, more contemporary renovations, etc. If you build it, people will pay it. If they lose 3 lower paying customers, but get 1 premium, then they must figure to still make more money, and reduce crowds.
    ===================

    2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

    1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Posts
    2,233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kathkwilts View Post
    Yes, we have also had to cut down on our trips and I know people who just can't afford to go any more. I hope that Disney isn't pricing itself out of the market...
    Nah, they are just catering to the folks who can afford a premium trip, and pay more per person. Hence more wow factor, more contemporary renovations, etc. If you build it, people will pay it. If they lose 3 lower paying customers, but get 1 premium, then they must figure to still make more money, and reduce crowds.
    ===================

    2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

    1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    7,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Nah, they are just catering to the folks who can afford a premium trip, and pay more per person. Hence more wow factor, more contemporary renovations, etc. If you build it, people will pay it. If they lose 3 lower paying customers, but get 1 premium, then they must figure to still make more money, and reduce crowds.
    I don't know. I could still afford to go, but I won't. After the big family trip my daughter is planning in 2022, I'll quit going unless things change. I've already cut back my trips to Disneyland due to being unhappy with the changes there. There is way too much in this world to see to waste my time and money on short sighted, money grubbing jerks.
    We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together

    Not
    We believed in our idea - a place to line the pockets of CEOs and shareholders

  11. Likes PopPhan liked this post
  12. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Posts
    2,233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I don't know. I could still afford to go, but I won't. After the big family trip my daughter is planning in 2022, I'll quit going unless things change. I've already cut back my trips to Disneyland due to being unhappy with the changes there. There is way too much in this world to see to waste my time and money on short sighted, money grubbing jerks.
    Yeah, so many islands, tropical places, with fewer people. Might even check out some cruise ships.

    You knew it was getting back when last year or so when they were experimenting w/ the private tents in Tomorrowland.
    ===================

    2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

    1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    7,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Yeah, so many islands, tropical places, with fewer people. Might even check out some cruise ships.

    You knew it was getting back when last year or so when they were experimenting w/ the private tents in Tomorrowland.
    I already had this planned before recent developments, but next year we are only doing one week at Disney. The second week we are doing a Caribbean cruise.

    The year after is Mardi Gras, South Dakota and Nintendoland if it is open.
    We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together

    Not
    We believed in our idea - a place to line the pockets of CEOs and shareholders

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Posts
    2,233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Its funny how WDW can make you both happy and bitter.
    ===================

    2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

    1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

  15. Likes baldburke liked this post
  16. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Posts
    1,208
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I don't know. I could still afford to go, but I won't. After the big family trip my daughter is planning in 2022, I'll quit going unless things change. I've already cut back my trips to Disneyland due to being unhappy with the changes there. There is way too much in this world to see to waste my time and money on short sighted, money grubbing jerks.
    I feel exactly the same. The only reason we have been the past couple of years is for special events our kids were participating in such as cheer. We haven't planned any actual vacation trips to WDW in several years. We have one more special event we will attend in February and that will be it. We have no intentions of planning any vacations there any time in the near future. I am sure I will get the itch and want to go get a quick visit for nostalgia but as for a vacation destination.....I am out.

    I cannot relate how glad I am that I decided to hold off and think about DVC a little more when I took the tour and almost bit 11 years ago. I think we have only planned and taken two actual vacation trips to WDW since taking that tour. At first it was because of the recession affecting business for a couple of years but since then it has been because of all the changes and aggravation involved in planning and executing a trip. The money isn't a factor....it is the changes. I hate them with a passion.

  17. Likes texas211 liked this post
  18. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Posts
    2,233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    The money isn't a factor....it is the changes. I hate them with a passion.
    Amen!!!!
    ===================

    2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

    1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

  19. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    7,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    I cannot relate how glad I am that I decided to hold off and think about DVC a little more when I took the tour and almost bit 11 years ago. I think we have only planned and taken two actual vacation trips to WDW since taking that tour. At first it was because of the recession affecting business for a couple of years but since then it has been because of all the changes and aggravation involved in planning and executing a trip. The money isn't a factor....it is the changes. I hate them with a passion.
    I find that it gets easier to skip Disney the farther out it is from my trip there. I guess it is an addiction like smoking cigarettes. :P

    My son and I are currently looking at Caribbean cruises for next year. I am finding that I'm more excited about that than our trip to Disney World in November. We just have to pick out our room and our shore excursions, not a minute by minute agenda 60 days out.
    We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together

    Not
    We believed in our idea - a place to line the pockets of CEOs and shareholders

  20. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We are done.

    I was done after the detestable FP+. After two trips a year for nearly two decades, I stopped going because of FP+. But then we moved to Florida. We have had Florida resident APs for three years. Not going to renew them when they expire.

    Parking fees? 25% price increases? Boring, unimaginative food choices. FP+ to manage crowds and spy on your every move.

    Iger is a bad person. Chapek is a bad person. Greedy men with insatiable appetites for millions of dollars to line their already filthy rich pockets. I refuse to make them 1 Penny richer.

  21. Likes Cinderelley liked this post
  22. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    7,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post

    Boring, unimaginative food choices.
    And it cracks me up how they present every little item as big news -
    Look we made a cupcake . . .
    Look we made another cupcake . . .
    Look we made a third cupcake with a different color on it.

    They do it with the mickey ear headbands too. I don't really care if some "celebrity" came up with a new headband idea. They aren't any better than regular people. In fact, I enjoy the ones people make on Etsy more than the ones that were presented by the "celebrities".
    We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together

    Not
    We believed in our idea - a place to line the pockets of CEOs and shareholders

  23. Thanks RunDMV thanked for this post
    Likes PopPhan, texas211 liked this post
  24. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    553
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We own DVC and find ourselves spending more time at the resort and eating off-site. One of our sons lives in Orlando because he's in a graduate program, so we use our DVC more as a nice place to stay while visiting him. I never thought I'd be happier leaving to eat but like others have said the food is expensive and boring. If I'm going to pay $50 plus for a steak I'd rather go to the Capital Grille. I think the parking is outrageous and we don't have to pay.

  25. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm going in January with a friend who has never been there, and unless my deployed son returns and really wants to go, this is my last trip.
    I've been in love with WDW since my first visit in 1971 (Disneyland before that), but the cost and crowds and little petty things like charging for parking now has done me in. The food is not very good, but it's expensive, the ticket prices are outrageous, as are the resort prices. Really? $650/night for the Poly in the off-season AND charging for parking? Too much, and it happened too soon to make it palatable for me.
    I'm planning this last trip for 4-5 park days, and will enjoy it. And then walk away because I can go to Europe for a month (and have) for less than the cost of a trip at a value resort at WDW.

    I just spent a month in Italy renting very nice apartments and having a fabulous time with great restaurants- for a bit under $2000. Makes it hard to spring for a Disney trip.

  26. Likes Cinderelley liked this post
  27. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wilmington DE
    Posts
    1,339
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Although for every family that drops out, there's probably at least two behind them to pick up the slack. Disney isn't hurting for money for sure and wouldn't go down even if all of Intercot decided to protest.

    How do you spend your entertainment and leisure dollars? Disney and Universal are somewhat unique because they crossover between entertainment and leisure, but for entertainment you have things like sporting events, concerts, movies and other ways to pass your time. Then for for leisure you have all modes of travel including hotels, rentals, timeshares and outright ownership if you choose that path. Brands run the gamut from the Dallas Cowboys to Hilton to Ticketmaster and Regal Cinemas, plus of course our beloved Disney.

    I know we don't see it here, but unless you are sneaking in snacks and using coupons, it's darn near impossible to do a movie for a family of four for under $100. Let alone if you want to do a professional sports event like football. Baseball you couple maybe do for four on a strict budget and the cheapest seats for under $200 with parking and food, but I would guess for football you are up over $500 for a single game. Let's not even talk season tickets!

    The same is true for hotels, property rentals and airfare. Don't fool yourself that airlines aren't making money despite offers of cheap seats between fees and add-ons. Heck, we pay a pretty penny to rent a beach house every year. Sure it's close to the beach and has lots of room for our guests, but we're only renting it for one week out of about 13 between Memorial Day and Labor Day and it keeps going up every year.

    We could go on and on from things like grocery bills to tuition to whatever else suits your needs. Nothing is getting cheaper! So beat up on Disney if you like, but why complain about it here? I'd have to imagine the average age of Intercotees is in their 50's, plus or minus 5 years, so it's maybe mostly made up of people between say 45 to 65. I doubt the millennials have big numbers here. They probably get most of their info via social media. There maybe be some older folks here, but again my guess is that most lie between 45 and 65. I guess what I'm getting at is that we are just a very small subset of people that partake in Disney's universe. Why spoil this universe, Intercot, with complaints about pricing? I'm here to enjoy Disney, not bash them.
    Beth & David

    09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBC, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL

  28. Likes PunzelBelle, PopPhan liked this post
  29. #19
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We could go on and on from things like grocery bills to tuition to whatever else suits your needs. Nothing is getting cheaper! So beat up on Disney if you like, but why complain about it here? I'd have to imagine the average age of Intercotees is in their 50's, plus or minus 5 years, so it's maybe mostly made up of people between say 45 to 65. I doubt the millennials have big numbers here. They probably get most of their info via social media. There maybe be some older folks here, but again my guess is that most lie between 45 and 65. I guess what I'm getting at is that we are just a very small subset of people that partake in Disney's universe. Why spoil this universe, Intercot, with complaints about pricing? I'm here to enjoy Disney, not bash them.[/QUOTE]

    Iíd have to agree with the bulk of what you said except maybe the age group. I have no idea really but Iím 37 (elder millennial!) new Florida resident turned passholder and I found social media repetitive and useless for Disney news. Especially the blogs which Iím guessing get a lot of their info here. I see info posted here than within hours exact quotes go up on several blogs.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. Likes baldburke liked this post
  31. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    7,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    Although for every family that drops out, there's probably at least two behind them to pick up the slack. Disney isn't hurting for money for sure and wouldn't go down even if all of Intercot decided to protest.

    How do you spend your entertainment and leisure dollars? Disney and Universal are somewhat unique because they crossover between entertainment and leisure, but for entertainment you have things like sporting events, concerts, movies and other ways to pass your time. Then for for leisure you have all modes of travel including hotels, rentals, timeshares and outright ownership if you choose that path. Brands run the gamut from the Dallas Cowboys to Hilton to Ticketmaster and Regal Cinemas, plus of course our beloved Disney.

    I know we don't see it here, but unless you are sneaking in snacks and using coupons, it's darn near impossible to do a movie for a family of four for under $100. Let alone if you want to do a professional sports event like football. Baseball you couple maybe do for four on a strict budget and the cheapest seats for under $200 with parking and food, but I would guess for football you are up over $500 for a single game. Let's not even talk season tickets!

    The same is true for hotels, property rentals and airfare. Don't fool yourself that airlines aren't making money despite offers of cheap seats between fees and add-ons. Heck, we pay a pretty penny to rent a beach house every year. Sure it's close to the beach and has lots of room for our guests, but we're only renting it for one week out of about 13 between Memorial Day and Labor Day and it keeps going up every year.

    We could go on and on from things like grocery bills to tuition to whatever else suits your needs. Nothing is getting cheaper! So beat up on Disney if you like, but why complain about it here? I'd have to imagine the average age of Intercotees is in their 50's, plus or minus 5 years, so it's maybe mostly made up of people between say 45 to 65. I doubt the millennials have big numbers here. They probably get most of their info via social media. There maybe be some older folks here, but again my guess is that most lie between 45 and 65. I guess what I'm getting at is that we are just a very small subset of people that partake in Disney's universe. Why spoil this universe, Intercot, with complaints about pricing? I'm here to enjoy Disney, not bash them.
    I'm not really sure what anyone's age has to do with anything. My parents no longer go to Disney. (The same parents who got me hooked on it.) My boys only go when I ask them to go. One is a homebody, and the other thought it was way overpriced a few years ago. They won't continue to go after I'm gone. My DD may make occasional trips, but her next planned trip isn't for 3 years - by her choice. The grandkids definitely won't be brought up on Disney like I had originally foreseen. Instead, they will see the real world, not just pavilions around Epcot.

    As far as why complain here, it's a Disney discussion board. Why wouldn't they complain here? Discussing Disney is what it is for. While we may not all agree on a specific point of view, everyone has a right to make their point heard.

    How do I spend my entertainment dollars? I pay $20 a month to play an online game. No movies. No sports. No TV. No concerts. Not interested.
    If I'm doing something with my kids, we'll go out shooting, to an escape room, laser tag, a painting or pottery place. Any of those are cheaper for all of us than a one day ticket at Disneyland or Disney World for one person. We usually have a sit down dinner prior to or after our activity. Those meals are also cheaper than a meal at Disney.

    My leisure dollars - over the next couple of years, I have week long trips planned to Colorado, Idaho, a Caribbean cruise, South Dakota, New Orleans for Mardi Gras, two trips to California, a trip to Disney World,and a trip to universal when nintendoland opens. Other than the trip to Universal, I know the other trips will cost much less than a trip to Disney World. I am not sure how much the Universal trip will cost. I expect to have as great of a time on each of those trips as I would at Disney.

    Disney isn't hurting for money now. They can float along on their reputation for a long time. After a while though, their reputation won't be that shiny, and people will start going elsewhere.
    We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together

    Not
    We believed in our idea - a place to line the pockets of CEOs and shareholders

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
Company
Advertising
Guest Relations
Community
Discussion Boards
Podcast
Newsletter
Shop
Social
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Pinterest
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Enter your email address below to receive our newsletter:
INTERCOT Logo PRIVACY STATEMENT / DISCLAIMER | DISCUSSION BOARD RULES
© Since 1997 INTERCOT - a Levelbest Communications Website. This is not an official Disney website.
> Levelbest Network Site