Quantcast Grand Floridian Cafe - convince me

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Grand Floridian Cafe - convince me

DDIL1 has decided she wants to try the Grand Floridian Café for breakfast. I looked at the menu, and it seems pretty bizarre. Their version of Mozzarella Caprese (why even have that at breakfast?) is fried mozzarella with tomato jam (has anyone ever heard of this? I know a tomato is a fruit, but to make jam???) and artichoke relish (what??).

I know good things have been said about this place, so remind me what makes it good.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not done breakfast there. But we have done lunch a couple of times. The food was fantastic! We will be going back in May. I would love to try breakfast and dinner there. We had the jumbo chilled shrimp cocktail with citrus avocado salad to start. It was so yummy. For the main course I had the Caesar salad with chicken. Lots of chicken cooked perfectly then chilled with not to much dressing. I can not remember what my DD had but she loved it and ate it all. The service was good. The atmosphere was so nice and relaxing. Not real loud like other places. It was a hidden gem we found in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it's actually a brunch menu, I love the GFC. My husband and I go here for breakfast when it's just the two of us, their brioche french toast is incredible, I'm not a big french toast fan but this is amazing. We have eaten breakfast, lunch and dinner here numerous times and it is honestly the one restaurant that has never disappointed anyone in my family. This is not fancy or specialized food but it is hands down one of our comfort places in Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

The GFC is definitely a hidden gem! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. It is a wonderful quiet laid back restaurant. As someone else mentioned it is very quiet here especially in comparison with other Disney restaurants. The service on our past visit (ate there 2x) was excellent both times. It is like eating in a sunroom. Very bright and cheery with many windows.

We ate breakfast once and more of a brunch the second visit. The portions are very large especially the pancakes so I caution you if you have visitors with smaller appetites that sharing may be the way to go. I always had leftovers and I can eat quite a large amount. My mother loved the French toast and I the pancakes. The creams and curds that they have as toppings make them superb. The only thing that didn't thrill me was the mimosa. I would definitely find a different beverage next time. But the lemon ginger tea has become my new favorite.

On our next stay I would like to do lunch so I can have the French onion soup as I have heard many people rave about it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for giving me food to think about other than tomato jam :P

Post Thanks / Like

I love tomato jam! My grandmother used to make it and served it with roast beef or chicken, sort of like you would serve cranberry sauce with turkey or mint jelly with lamb.
    As for The Grand Flo for breakfast my whole family thinks it is one of the best breakfasts ever and a must for every trip. Love their pancakes with toppings, the eggs Benedict are to die for, French toast amazing and my hubby can not go without having steak and eggs. Having a group is the best so you can order a lot and split and share.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

We love this place. We have dinner here when we visit WDW. The food is amazing! Staff is great. It's a hidden gem for sure.

Not sure about breakfast, sorry I can't comment on that, but dinner is great!
    First WDW Trip 1984
    30+ Trips since 1984
    Disneyland 4 Visits
    Disneyland Paris 2010
    40th Wedding Anniversary December 2013
    Disney Cruises 2: Magic 2005, Fantasy 2012
    Last Trip November 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuckRocks View Post
    I love tomato jam! My grandmother used to make it and served it with roast beef or chicken, sort of like you would serve cranberry sauce with turkey or mint jelly with lamb.
    As for The Grand Flo for breakfast my whole family thinks it is one of the best breakfasts ever and a must for every trip. Love their pancakes with toppings, the eggs Benedict are to die for, French toast amazing and my hubby can not go without having steak and eggs. Having a group is the best so you can order a lot and split and share.
    What does tomato jam taste like?

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't heard much good about this place... And a recent YouTube video blog I watched they really didn't have anything good to say... I haven't been there so I cannot say personally... I can say though, places I loved others hated and placed I hated others loved so take reviews with a grain of salt... Try it... Maybe you'd find another gem...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on who makes it. The one I’m most familiar with reminds me of a marmalade.

Post Thanks / Like

We went a few years back and it was good. We had regular breakfast with eggs, bacon, etc and pancakes. Went back the next trip and when they went to seat us,my chair had a huge stain on it that looked wet. I told the hostess and she just brushed me off and walked away. So before I sat, I got another chair from the table behind me and set the dirty one against the wall. The food was ok but we haven’t gone back.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Wow, I agree with NewDVCowner that I think it would have a lot to do with who makes it. My Grandma's had a real tomato flavor but with an underlining sweetness. I think Campbell's tomato soup made with milk to be slightly sweetish in the same way. There is another condiment called ChowChow which sometimes is quite sweet and sometimes I come across salsa that is sort of sweet. Also a little bit tart. Is this the item you were seeing?
    House-breaded Fried Mozzarella with Tomato Jam and Grilled Artichoke Relish
    If so my guess would be more like salsa but thickened with pectin.
    I can't wait for our trip in Oct. if it is still on the menu for 10 bucks I'm going to give it a try.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI

Post Thanks / Like

We love GFC for breakfast! Or any meal really. We had waffles and pancakes with the little trays of toppings. They were all so good!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I agree with NewDVCowner that I think it would have a lot to do with who makes it. My Grandma's had a real tomato flavor but with an underlining sweetness. I think Campbell's tomato soup made with milk to be slightly sweetish in the same way. There is another condiment called ChowChow which sometimes is quite sweet and sometimes I come across salsa that is sort of sweet. Also a little bit tart. Is this the item you were seeing?
    House-breaded Fried Mozzarella with Tomato Jam and Grilled Artichoke Relish
    If so my guess would be more like salsa but thickened with pectin.
    I can't wait for our trip in Oct. if it is still on the menu for 10 bucks I'm going to give it a try.
    Yep. That was what I was looking at. Mozzarella caprese is my favorite appetizer. I'm just not a fan of sweet tomato based sauces like sweet spaghetti sauces.

We talked about it at dinner last night. Since I mom vetoed the luau, we're gonna try eating here. DDIL wants to try the eggs benedict trio. At least you guys have given me some good alternatives to eat instead. Plus I saw they have a mickey waffle.

Post Thanks / Like

Ketchup
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

17. Likes Cinderelley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

@Cinderelley the only item my family doesn't like is the burger with the lobster, my son tried it and said it seemed like a frozen patty. I should have mentioned that before. Enjoy, I hope you have a great time!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    I haven't heard much good about this place... And a recent YouTube video blog I watched they really didn't have anything good to say... I haven't been there so I cannot say personally... I can say though, places I loved others hated and placed I hated others loved so take reviews with a grain of salt... Try it... Maybe you'd find another gem...
    Over the years of reading food reviews (both Disney and others) I have found out that it is best for me if I read menus and see if anything sounds good to me and if so try it. I have also been very surprised at times where someplace that we read either really good reviews or really bad reviews about for me will turn out to be the exact opposite. An example is Olivia's at OKW, we are DVC members there, they get outstanding reviews and make top 10 favorite lists for food at Disney over and over again. Because of it being very handy for us we have eaten there many, many times. Breakfast, lunch and dinner we have tried them all more than a few times and have ordered different items each time. I hate the place!!! The reverse is true for me at The Turf Club at Saratoga springs. You never hear much about it and when you do it is usually negative. I love it. My advise is always to go somewhere if you think it sounds interesting to you and give it a try.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. That was what I was looking at. Mozzarella caprese is my favorite appetizer. I'm just not a fan of sweet tomato based sauces like sweet spaghetti sauces.

We talked about it at dinner last night. Since I mom vetoed the luau, we're gonna try eating here. DDIL wants to try the eggs benedict trio. At least you guys have given me some good alternatives to eat instead. Plus I saw they have a mickey waffle.
    Boy, do I agree with you on the sweet spaghetti sauce issue. Someone also said that tomato jam tastes like ketchup and I don't quite think so, but I do love ketchup, I only eat French fries to get the ketchup.
    Next trip up I'm with your DDIL and am going to have the eggs benedict trio, my DSIL came home raving about it from his last trip. They do regular eggs benedict better than any place I've ever had them so I'm looking forward to something a bit different.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SodaPopMGK View Post
    @Cinderelley the only item my family doesn't like is the burger with the lobster, my son tried it and said it seemed like a frozen patty. I should have mentioned that before. Enjoy, I hope you have a great time!
    I will keep that in mind. DS1 loves lobster, so I'm sure he would think about getting it.

Post Thanks / Like

Boy, do I agree with you on the sweet spaghetti sauce issue. Someone also said that tomato jam tastes like ketchup and I don't quite think so, but I do love ketchup, I only eat French fries to get the ketchup.
    Next trip up I'm with your DDIL and am going to have the eggs benedict trio, my DSIL came home raving about it from his last trip. They do regular eggs benedict better than any place I've ever had them so I'm looking forward to something a bit different.
    When are you going?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: