Quantcast Smoking, Ice and Strollers - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post
    He was a smoker and died of lung cancer. Probably not something they want to encourage.

And while I can see how this will be hard for people that do smoke I, for one, am glad that I'm not going to need to walk through clouds of smoke or 'vape'.

And my sister does smoking education. There have been no studies that say that vape is safe - it might not have the same issues as the tars from traditional cigarettes, however the things that are in them may be approved for consumption, that doesn't mean they're okay in your lungs. 'Popcorn lung' is a thing associated with vaping.
    No one said vaping was safe. Ofc, anything other than oxygen is bad for you. I said "safer", by far. And I know what's in my vape, so I don't need a study to tell me that I can understand your argument about not wanting to walk through clouds of vape. Again, I agree. But as I stated above, it's all about optics. If a Disney character happens to blow a plume of colored vapor from his mouth at the time that you walked by, you may be a bit annoyed, but you wouldn't be concerned. Now, ofc there aren't any characters that do that, just using it as an example. Its all about optics. If you walked through a vape cloud, you would not only be annoyed, but you would assume some type of health risk was being imposed upon you as well. Due to the optics and misinformation, vape is included in the ban, which I FULLY understand. It just irks me when people try to make vape sound like another hazard, rather than what it was meant for. And that's as a smoking cessation tool. And for the record, there are plenty of juices without diacetyl in it or nicotine, just in case you actually believe that harvard study. Both of which I use. Not to mention the PPM required for second hand to be hazardous is on an industrial level, and certainly not something you would get by passing through a cloud or standing next to someone who is vaping. Also, for the record, there hasn't been any cases proving the correlation between the two, just that further studies are required. Why do vapers feel like they are "above the law" you ask? Because of the reasons the laws were written in the first place. And most of them were combustion and PROVEN second hand health related. And since there is no source of combustion or any proven results, it is rather unfair to blindly group vaping in with smoking. I am happy your sister does cigarette education. You may want her to look into vape as well

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

So the people who drink to excess and fall all over my kids at night at Epcot can still drink but THE PERSON WHO SMOKES IN THE CORNER AWAY FROM EVERYONE IS BEING PUNISHED. I do not smoke or drink but it doesn't seem fair.

First trip 1986 ...
    Not enough since then!

4. Likes CrashOverride, PopPhan, Janmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    I am a combination smoker/vaper, so I see your point about vaping/e-cigarettes and agree with you whole-heartedly. Too many vapers/e-gig users think they are "above the law" when it comes to smoking areas/regulations in public places. [See CrashOverride above!]
    Lol. You're awesome.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

6. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDOG View Post
    So the people who drink to excess and fall all over my kids at night at Epcot can still drink but THE PERSON WHO SMOKES IN THE CORNER AWAY FROM EVERYONE IS BEING PUNISHED. I do not smoke or drink but it doesn't seem fair.
    Disney makes money on the alcohol... and allowing Epcot to becomes Drunkytown USA.... Now, don't kid yourself... If people started a SMOKING AROUND THE WORLD challenge in World Showcase, and Disney was able to profit from it, you betcha smoking would be allowed all over... But, since they don't profit from it, nope, smoking not allowed...

I'm a non-smoker and welcome smoke free everything cause that smell is gross, and I shouldn't be subjected to it... With that said, the smoking areas weren't an issue and don't need to be removed... They are off the beaten path and the only way one would smell the smoke is to be in the area... I don't see this lasting very long...

The strollers on the other hand... ban them all!!!! joking.... I'm all for limiting the size...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

8. Likes PopPhan, Cinderelley, Fangorn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrashOverride View Post
    I'd be interested in knowing if that applies to vaping as well. I know most ignorant folks lump them both together.
    I am far from ignorant. I don't necessarily lump them together but they fall into the same category which is exhaled fumes from something which I do not desire to be subject to at any time. From my point of view, the ignorance falls on the other side, those that are inconsiderate enough to think that since it isn't a cigarette and actual smoke, it is acceptable to use them an exhale the fumes in public spaces. I don't even allow them to be used in my home because I do not want to smell it or have to breathe whatever is in the concoction. For the record, most of them stink. I know some of you vapers think that your blue-raspberry cotton candy delight smells awesome but to many of us it is disgusting.

Vaping is included with smoking in ALL cases. You cannot, currently, vape outside of Designated Smoking Areas, and when this policy goes into effect, you cannot vape inside the park(s) gates at all.

Exhaled vapors from vaping contain nicotine. and therefore falls into the same category as smoking.

And people who do not agree with you are NOT ignorant.
    Exactly, and furthermore, we have no idea or no way of knowing what some of these morons are putting in their vaping devices. Some have nicotine, some have THC from pot, some have even been found to have meth or heroine mixed into them. So yeah, I don't want someone puffing on one of those things around me.

Not all vape has nic, and it hasn't even been proven if vaping with nic, in an enclosed environment, is harmful. They just jump on the ignorant train...
    It hasn't been proven that it is NOT harmful either. The burden of proof should fall on proving it is not harmful, not the other way around. You may not be up on your cigarette history, but early on, it was not proven that they were harmful either. It wasn't until decades later when all the wide spread lung cancer cases started showing up in smokers did they realize it was harmful.

And for the record, nicotine is actually more commonly used than you think. Second hand smoke is filled with carcinogens. Vape, at best, has a little residual nic. But you keep putting it in the same category as smoking
    Sorry to take the OP OT. I guess the long and short of it is, it's Disney. So, anything they can do to promote a friendlier environment, they will do. And since vaping is still seen as the equivalent of smoking, by those who haven't been properly educated, it falls under the same guidelines
    I know you think you know what is in your vape. However, you don't have a full disclosure of scientific results where your vape has been tested showing exactly what it contains. At some point, it will most likely become a requirement that retail vaping products be tested and a full disclosure label of contents be listed by percentages. I will almost guarantee you that when that day comes, a lot of you are going to be shocked at what all you have been sucking into your lungs. There are most likely going to be some preservatives of some sort, a few chemical binders, compounds for the flavors and a few other fun things and then the interesting part is going to be how all of those are interacting when heated by the vaping device and then metabolized in your lung and then what happens with those compounds in your blood stream. You are smart enough to realize that those compounds are entering your blood stream because that is what your lungs do right? So are they forming crystalline compound structures that are building up in your arteries or collecting on your hear valves or even worse penetrating into heart tissue and hardening the valves or muscle which could result in heart failure 20 or 30 years down the road? The answer is you do not know. You have absolutely no idea because their is no history yet and there is no required testing results or labels to give you the knowledge. I went through all of that so I could then give you the definition of ignorance......which is the lack of knowledge.

No one said vaping was safe. Ofc, anything other than oxygen is bad for you. I said "safer", by far. And I know what's in my vape, so I don't need a study to tell me that I can understand your argument about not wanting to walk through clouds of vape. Again, I agree. But as I stated above, it's all about optics. If a Disney character happens to blow a plume of colored vapor from his mouth at the time that you walked by, you may be a bit annoyed, but you wouldn't be concerned. Now, ofc there aren't any characters that do that, just using it as an example. Its all about optics. If you walked through a vape cloud, you would not only be annoyed, but you would assume some type of health risk was being imposed upon you as well. Due to the optics and misinformation, vape is included in the ban, which I FULLY understand. It just irks me when people try to make vape sound like another hazard, rather than what it was meant for. And that's as a smoking cessation tool. And for the record, there are plenty of juices without diacetyl in it or nicotine, just in case you actually believe that harvard study. Both of which I use. Not to mention the PPM required for second hand to be hazardous is on an industrial level, and certainly not something you would get by passing through a cloud or standing next to someone who is vaping. Also, for the record, there hasn't been any cases proving the correlation between the two, just that further studies are required. Why do vapers feel like they are "above the law" you ask? Because of the reasons the laws were written in the first place. And most of them were combustion and PROVEN second hand health related. And since there is no source of combustion or any proven results, it is rather unfair to blindly group vaping in with smoking. I am happy your sister does cigarette education. You may want her to look into vape as well
    I still don't want to smell your stinking vape. It is inconsiderate, rude and just plain disrespectful to others to think that you have some right to subject us to it.

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Disney makes money on the alcohol... and allowing Epcot to becomes Drunkytown USA.... Now, don't kid yourself... If people started a SMOKING AROUND THE WORLD challenge in World Showcase, and Disney was able to profit from it, you betcha smoking would be allowed all over... But, since they don't profit from it, nope, smoking not allowed...

I'm a non-smoker and welcome smoke free everything cause that smell is gross, and I shouldn't be subjected to it... With that said, the smoking areas weren't an issue and don't need to be removed... They are off the beaten path and the only way one would smell the smoke is to be in the area... I don't see this lasting very long...

The strollers on the other hand... ban them all!!!! joking.... I'm all for limiting the size...
    Exactly. I agree, the full ban on smoking is probably going to fail miserably. Smokers are going to smoke so which is worse, dedicated smoking areas or most of them sneaking around corners or going in bathroom stalls and smoking? Heck, I can already see them going in the single stall family restrooms and smoking.

As for the new stroller requirements, I have been advocating for that policy for years. Nothing is more irritating than the people that bring those great big strollers with the huge wheels on the buses. I can't imagine why anyone would even want to battle through crowds with one of those things. We learned quickly when we had small children that the small, foldable umbrella type strollers were the way to go.

10. Thanks TheVBs, garthbarth1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me be clear, I am in no way saying that vaping is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Just that it is a healthi"er" alternative to smoking, without the major health hazards caused by cigarettes. This includes the second hand side of things. I am not saying that in 50 years, they may find some harmful affects from vaping. But regardless of what they are, they would be A LOT less harmful than a cigarette. I may not know every little thing that goes into my vape( even though the site I buy it from has certified lab results) I am positive they are not putting formaldehyde or many of the other 1000's of toxic ingredients in a cigarette. So, yeah, I get a bit miffed when people compare vape to a cigarette. A simple answer to my original question could've been," yes, vape is included as it is still considered offensive to some guests", and I would have completely accepted that. That's not ignorant, the original answer was

Post Thanks / Like

This is from a moderator - you will notice that a LOT of messages are gone. Why? This is a family forum, and as such, language is moderated. Others were deleted due to referencing the deleted message.

Please keep this site family friendly.
    Ali's Mom
    Senior Imagineer

13. Thanks MNNHFLTX, Sylvia thanked for this post
    Likes PopPhan, angela2679, Sylvia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will try to be clear as well. I don't think anyone here or many people anywhere would argue with you about vaping being less harmful and a healthier alternative to cigarettes. The problem we have is the attitude some people that vape seem to have. You stated in a previous post that you have a "right" to vape when and wherever you want. Well, you don't. We have the right to not be exposed to your vaping in public spaces. We aren't equating vaping to smoking but the two are comparable in the fact that they are both inhaled by a user, exhaled and then inhaled by bystanders who do not want the exposure. Therefore, vaping fits right in with laws, rules and statutes we have regarding smoking. Rather than go through the hassle of creating brand new laws and rules specifically for vaping, it is easier to just roll it right into the existing laws for smoking. That is where the two end up lumped together.

We would not have had to push for vaping being included in existing smoking bans if it wasn't for those that have the attitude like you that they can vape whenever and wherever they want with blatant disregard for others. Just wait, there will probably be a push in the future to pile some substantial taxes on to vaping supplies to curb their use if things keep going like they have.

You mentioned you have lab results from the manufacturer of the vaping products you buy showing what they contain. A couple of things about that......I don't know how old you are but there has been plenty of news stories, documentaries, and papers written about how the tobacco industry intentionally released false information including inaccurate scientific data trying to say smoking was not harmful to protect their sales. We all know how that has turned out. So who is to say that vaping product manufacturers aren't slanting, omitting or misleading users? Another thing to consider is by looking at the information they are actually giving you, do you know how those chemicals and other ingredients are metabolizing in your system? Are they crystallizing in your lungs? When they enter your blood stream are they creating compounds and crystallizing and attaching to your artery walls, heart valves or in your heart muscle tissue? The answer is you have no idea because there is no data available and the manufacturer sure as heck wouldn't tell you if they did know. All of that is exactly why the rest of us, who are apparently ignorant in your eyes, do not want to be breathing your second hand vape.

15. Thanks garthbarth1 thanked for this post
    Likes garthbarth1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup. Truth hurts...peace

Post Thanks / Like

Can we re-focus this discussion? No matter how each one of us may feel about smoking and/or vaping, it is fact that Disney has banned these within the parks. In the spirit of encouraging open, and respectful discussion, let's refrain from attacking each other, or being otherwise nasty.

Since it is unlikely that anyone will change their views on smoking/vaping, let's get back to discussing how this may impact Disney, and how you visit & enjoy the parks. For me, my in-laws were smokers, and they would find it hard to not smoke all day, so time for them to leave the park would have been required, which might have made things just a bit more challenging.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

18. Likes Janmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That loose ice ban has me confused.

BWV & HH

20. Thanks Figment! thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missymouseworld View Post
    That loose ice ban has me confused.
    Ikr, unless they were getting spilled and causing slips and falls. But you can go get ice from a restaurant which could still potentially create the slip and fall situation. Perhaps it was causing issues at the security checkpoint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    Exactly. I agree, the full ban on smoking is probably going to fail miserably. Smokers are going to smoke so which is worse, dedicated smoking areas or most of them sneaking around corners or going in bathroom stalls and smoking? Heck, I can already see them going in the single stall family restrooms and smoking.
    I wasn't even thinking along these lines... I was thinking more along the lines of people who haven't had their nicotine fix, in the summer heat, with crying kids, large crowds, getting irate even more than they already are cause they haven't gotten their hit.... going to Guest Services and ranting up a major storm.... I sense a lot of fast passes or free dinners to Victoria and Albert's will be handled out on a daily basis...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Ikr, unless they were getting spilled and causing slips and falls. But you can go get ice from a restaurant which could still potentially create the slip and fall situation. Perhaps it was causing issues at the security checkpoint?
    People can put stuff in ice cubes...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    People can put stuff in ice cubes...
    I didn't think of that. I was so confused at why they would ban ice, but then encourage you to get ice from a restaurant if you need it.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    I didn't think of that. I was so confused at why they would ban ice, but then encourage you to get ice from a restaurant if you need it.
    I know it is weird thinking like that, but I don't put anything past anyone... And even with this ice ban, if people wanted to really sneak something into the parks, they will find a way...

Now, how about conspiracy theory.... Disney is going to charge for ice...

Further conspiracy... Disney will start banning all outside strollers forcing you to rent theirs only...

Even bigger conspiracy.... Smoking banned until Disney can find a way to make money off smoking... Like the International Smokers and Nicotine Addicts Festival!!!!! Buy cigarettes from all around the world, at mark up prices....

Post Thanks / Like

People will bury things under the ice and security has to search the cooler, digging through it all. Saw on another posting somewhere that someone had packed a 6-pack of beer under all the loose ice and security basically had to dump it all to find the beer. Bagged ice and cooler packs/ice packs are fine though.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

But lemme ask you this, if vape was colored, do you still think it would be banned? I think not, as the connotation would shift to something more playful, rather than anything nic related. Its all about optics
    Then they'd sell Disney vapes

In that Walt was a smoker, there are times I really wonder why they don't. LOL I actually do believe they are still sold in the resorts....I guess that's next....
    I know you can get cigars at the resorts. Course, way overpriced (and dry) and its best to bring your own. So I bet they have cigarettes, though probably a limited selection.

I just bring my redman to the park. Need some nicotine after dealing w/ the public for too long in one. day. I am excited, if they enforce it, to reduce those land cruiser strollers. They need a licensing test for those w/ strollers and the scooters.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    I am excited, if they enforce it, to reduce those land cruiser strollers. They need a licensing test for those w/ strollers and the scooters.
    Ha! They need a licensing test before people can have kids.

29. Likes texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

People will bury things under the ice and security has to search the cooler, digging through it all. Saw on another posting somewhere that someone had packed a 6-pack of beer under all the loose ice and security basically had to dump it all to find the beer. Bagged ice and cooler packs/ice packs are fine though.
    You could put stuff in bagged ice too though. I am sure you can also put stuff in ice packs if you really wanted to. I'm just not motivated enough to figure out how to do it.
    I wonder how security knew to dig through the ice and find the beer.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: