Quantcast Not welcome?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Not welcome?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not welcome?

I went to the Wilderness Lodge this past Sunday to eat breakfast at the roaring fork. When we pulled up to the gate we were told we could not visit the lodge without a reservation. I explained that I wanted to eat at roaring fork no reservation needed. We were told that Disney is no longer allowing guests to visit without reservations. We told the guard we were AP holders and he again told us he was sorry but that didn't matter any longer. 😠 One of the reasons I got an AP is to visit different resorts, try food exclusive to the resorts, and rent bikes and boats. Now we can't?!😢 I drove off base and went to a local restaurant and ate with my DH. I just don't understand why Disney is literally turning people away who want to spend money.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

2. Thanks PunzelBelle thanked for this post
    Likes PunzelBelle liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I would contact Guest Services and report this. There may be a 3 hour limit, but you should not have been turned away. Heck, anyone can catch a bus or boat to the resort, why would they stop a car?
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

5. Thanks waymickey thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yacht & Beach Club is the same way. If you do not have a dinning reservation they will turn you away. It has to do with people parking at the resorts all day thus taking up parking spots that the guests of that hotel use. Many people are trying to park at the hotels saying they have a reservation to avoid paying to park at the parks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey
    I just don't understand why Disney is literally turning people away who want to spend money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy 1
    Many people are trying to park at the hotels saying they have a reservation to avoid paying to park at the parks.
    Yes, unfortunately the shift in policy seems tied to prevent Guests from parking at a Magic Kingdom or Epcot resort and spending the day at the park. Although they had a "3 hour limit" it appears they could not enforce or decided this new policy was easier.

It appears the only way to really "resort hop" now with out a same day dining reservation is to use Walt Disney World transportation.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Geesh! We've had issues getting past the guard at the Boardwalk, and we DID have an ADR booked. I guess I can see it though, parking is limited at the resorts near the parks, and they don't want it all taken up.

On our last trip the only place we "hopped" was over to POR from OKW, so we could eat at the food court, since OKW's offerings are a little lacking!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

You can't blame them. Like Zippy 1 said, too many people trying to scam the system for free parking.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they should issue tickets with entry time and charge $25 per hour (or portion thereof) for anything over 3 hours.....Might be a PITA for the gatekeeper, but also might cut down on the 'parking for parks' trick.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Until fairly recently, I think they were following the 3-hr window rule, but it was hard to enforce.

Currently, for visiting the MK resorts without an ADR, I simply park at the MK parking lot and either use the monorail or walk to the Poly. For the Epcot resorts, I just pay to park at the Dolphin or Swan or combine it with an Epcot visit.

I'm not sure how I'd approach the Wilderness Lodge; perhaps I'd plan a non-ADR lunch there around an MK visit so I could take the boat.

It's too bad that people trying to scam the system by avoiding parking fees had to ruin it for the rest of us.
    DVC Member
    Boston, MA and Celebration, FL

Post Thanks / Like

maybe they should charge for parking if you aren't staying at the resort, but have a way to validate the ticket to have the fees waived if you eat at a restaurant there.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

13. Likes Marc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is frustrating to park at the Magic kingdom take at the ferry or monorail over to the park jump on a bus to WL just to eat the load mickey waffles. Since I am an AP holder I don't pay for parking at the parks so What would the scam I am trying to accomplish be???
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Allstar Movies 02

Post Thanks / Like

Fort Wilderness has become the same way. I used to go over for HDDR, but pay for it there (since I pay in cash). Now with them cracking down, I have to pay for it at MK instead
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    It is frustrating to park at the Magic kingdom take at the ferry or monorail over to the park jump on a bus to WL just to eat the load mickey waffles. Since I am an AP holder I don't pay for parking at the parks so What would the scam I am trying to accomplish be???
    Not sure! People are creative with their "scams" I've heard that some people try to park at certain resorts out of convenience (like the Boardwalk to be able to enter via the International Gateaway and avoid the main entrance crowds).

One of the new issues I encountered as an AP holder on my last trip is that they are now asking for your ID at the park parking lot entrances. People had started using others' MagicBands in order to get free parking.
    DVC Member
    Boston, MA and Celebration, FL

Post Thanks / Like

I know that people will be creative with scams. The more Disney charges the more creative the scams will get. Why not give people a ticket when they come in and and charge by the hour after a 2 hour time span. As you leave you give the ticket to the gate. Lost ticket? So sorry full day price.
    Disney encourages people to visit resorts to try the food and entertainment, but make it difficult to do so. IMHO it is Disney trying to herd people onto buses and monorails, so they can control the traffic flow and make it harder to go off base. However it can backfire and cause people to leave or never come on base in the first place. When I left the other day to eat, I did not go back after eating.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Allstar Movies 02

18. Likes PunzelBelle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not that you were trying to scam. It's not a matter of the money. They are mainly trying to preserve the limited parking spaces for resort guests.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

20. Thanks PopPhan, waymickey thanked for this post
    Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan1979 View Post
    Not sure! People are creative with their "scams" I've heard that some people try to park at certain resorts out of convenience (like the Boardwalk to be able to enter via the International Gateaway and avoid the main entrance crowds).

One of the new issues I encountered as an AP holder on my last trip is that they are now asking for your ID at the park parking lot entrances. People had started using others' MagicBands in order to get free parking.
    Well, build a smarter trap, you get smarter rats...

As far as showing your id, kinda defeats the purpose of having bands, etc. Eventually they'll probably force you to use disney only transportation, else pay for parking..

Though, that would likely drive me to definitely staying offsite.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

22. Thanks waymickey thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Though, that would likely drive me to definitely staying offsite.
    I honestly really enjoyed staying off site last October. It wouldn't take much for me to do it again.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    I went to the Wilderness Lodge this past Sunday to eat breakfast at the roaring fork. When we pulled up to the gate we were told we could not visit the lodge without a reservation. I explained that I wanted to eat at roaring fork no reservation needed. We were told that Disney is no longer allowing guests to visit without reservations. We told the guard we were AP holders and he again told us he was sorry but that didn't matter any longer. �� One of the reasons I got an AP is to visit different resorts, try food exclusive to the resorts, and rent bikes and boats. Now we can't?!�� I drove off base and went to a local restaurant and ate with my DH. I just don't understand why Disney is literally turning people away who want to spend money.
    That's a shame! When we stay at OKW, we frequently have gone to CS at other resorts (mostly POR and POFQ). And since we drive, it's just a quick trip. It would be a huge pain if we now had to use Disney buses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan1979 View Post
    Until fairly recently, I think they were following the 3-hr window rule, but it was hard to enforce.

Currently, for visiting the MK resorts without an ADR, I simply park at the MK parking lot and either use the monorail or walk to the Poly. For the Epcot resorts, I just pay to park at the Dolphin or Swan or combine it with an Epcot visit.

I'm not sure how I'd approach the Wilderness Lodge; perhaps I'd plan a non-ADR lunch there around an MK visit so I could take the boat.

It's too bad that people trying to scam the system by avoiding parking fees had to ruin it for the rest of us.
    What is the daily parking rate at the Dolphin/Swan?
    3/89 WDW
    3/02 Day trip MK
    10/02 Honeymoon WL
    3/03 Day trip DLR
    10/03 1st Ann. ASMovies
    11/04-12/04 SSR
    9/05 Grand Calif
    7/06 WDW
    1/08 A Friend's Bachelor Party DLR
    8/09 DLR w/ newborn
    10/10 Princess' 1st trip to WDW
    6/14 Littlest Princess' 1st visit to WDW
    3/16 DLR
    9/19 WDW

Post Thanks / Like

This is interesting to know in advance and I will have a discussion with the Disney Travel Cast member I've gotten to know and see what her take is on this especially for AP holders... As stated in previous comments that is one of the "perks" to be able to drive up to ANY resort, park and NOT have to pay and go in and eat. We just purchased ours and the 2019 literature clearly states that... This is not something I am going to do on a regular basis but if that is a selling point then Disney needs to stand by it!
    Feb 2020 - FWC
    Jul 2019 - Poly
    2018 - WL - CL
    2017 - FWC
    2016 - WL

2012 - WL - CL
    2010 - WL
    2009 - WL
    2007 - WL
    2003 - WL
    2001 - FWC
    1974, 77, 83 & 1995 - Off site

27. Likes PunzelBelle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
    This is interesting to know in advance and I will have a discussion with the Disney Travel Cast member I've gotten to know and see what her take is on this especially for AP holders... As stated in previous comments that is one of the "perks" to be able to drive up to ANY resort, park and NOT have to pay and go in and eat. We just purchased ours and the 2019 literature clearly states that... This is not something I am going to do on a regular basis but if that is a selling point then Disney needs to stand by it!
    Would love an update on that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: