Quantcast Suggestions for avoiding colds

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Suggestions for avoiding colds

DH and I have had horrible colds all week. This has been a bad year for us, virus-wise. Not surprising since our winter has basically been spring so far. Seriously, spring weather in Michigan in January!!

I don't know if we should try vitamins or what. We do the usual stuff, careful about hand-washing. Once we get sick we try to drink lots of fluids, gargle with salt water (if we have sore throats), use the saline spray, decongestants, etc.

This year has just been ridiculous and I am open to suggestions from anyone on how they avoid catching every virus swirling around.
    Susanne

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Over here in the UK we have Vick's 1st Defence. it's a nasal spray and you use it at the first sign of a cold ( for me that's a red dry/sore throat ). I've tried it this winter and so has DH and so far both cold free! ( touch wood ). As we're both asthmatic and DH now needs a lung transplant due to other medical conditions, we're both susceptible to colds becoming chest infections, I had 2 last winter.
    Maybe ask your local pharmacy to see if have it or something similar. Not a prescription item here.
    POFQ Sept 2012
    POFQ Oct 2014 Hubby's 50th Birthday!
    Wilderness Lodge Nov 2018 My 47th Birthday!

4. Thanks TheVBs thanked for this post
    Likes TheVBs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will look around for that merciantinkerbell! Thank you for the suggestion. We have something over here called Airborne that is supposed to work the same way. I try to keep some on hand in the winter. It usually helps. Not so much this year. I have asthma as well and I always worry about chest infections. Haven't had one in years (touching wood here too!).

I am really sorry to hear that your DH needs a transplant. I can't even imagine how stressful that must be. I hope he's able to get in soon and that everything goes smoothly.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me that the people that go to the greatest lengths to try to avoid getting sick are the ones that are always sick the most. I have always thought that just going with the flow and not worrying about it too much lets nature do it's thing and your immune system stays robust because it is exposed to and recognizes potential threats quicker and deploys the appropriate response. I very very rarely get sick and I do not think about or take any measures to avoid germs.

Post Thanks / Like

Essential oils in a diffuser is a great way to avoid OTC medicines and get some relief from cold symptoms or prevent more colds from turning into infections. I use Do Terra oils, but you can get them at Bed, Bath and Beyond or any local natural remedies market (we even have them in the Nature Market at our local grocery store). If I'm congested I use a Breathe oil, it has spearmint and eucalyptus to open passages. The Do Terra oil called On Guard is great for purifying the air, which makes a big difference as well. It has clove, orange, and other spice oils and smells really good. Diffusing for a couple hours every few days or so is a good idea.

Do you both take multi-vitamins like a One A Day? I asked my Dr. recently about supplements and she recommended one of those for overall health. Get one that has Vitamin C in it so you don't need to take an additional pill. Green Tea is a natural anti-inflammatory and it's recommended to drink a cup a day. Ginger tea is a good alternative. Use raw garlic on things like pasta or meats. The health benefits of Turmeric are starting to get published in mainstream media now and there's a drink you can make called Golden Milk that people swear by to ward off all kinds of irritating colds and infections.

Read up on anything and consult your Dr. before adding something new you may be wary about to your daily routine. I hope you both get well soon!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: