Quantcast Logistics when doing a Disney run?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Logistics when doing a Disney run?

I have to think the answers to my questions are in these posts someplace, but I'm hoping someone might be able to summarize how a typical Disney run might work. If I decide to sign up for the W&D 1/2 marathon and I stay on-site at a Disney resort, for example, how does the process work?

How early do you need to be at the start area?

Does Disney provide transportation for resort guests to the start (and from the finish area), or do you have to drive/taxi/Uber? I would expect the finish is not close to the start, so driving seems challenging!

Are registration packages picked up at a central location? Is there Disney transportation there, or again is it drive/taxi/Uber?

I've been hesitant to try one of these Disney events, but I'm starting to think more seriously about giving it a try. I've recently gotten back into running. It seems to be a lot of fun, even if it means getting up very early to get there and do it. Any information you can provide to get the ball rolling for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll share what information I know.

Package pickup can take place as early as the Thursday before your event up to the day before. Package pickup is at ESPN Wide World of Sports. From each resort, you can take a bus to that venue.

I've run 3 Disney 5Ks and each time I needed to be there about 1½ hours before the race began. However, I've never stayed onsite. In CA, I drove in and parked at the parking garage and then walked over to the staging area. Here I FL, I live about 15min from the parks. Again, I just drove over to the staging area.

For all of my events, the starting and ending areas are right next to each other. I believe all race routes are simply a loop around the area in which its staged.

There are many that have stayed onsite for a race weekend and they can provide the logistics for Disney transportation to and from the event. My guess is it involves the same busses used to take us to and from the parks when staying onsite.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

4. Thanks ThanxForNoticin thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You posted awhile back, but I thought I would chime in with what I know.

With Disney races, logistics dictate a very early start. Think, "hurry up and wait." I don't remember the exact time frame, but the buses start running around 3:00 a.m. I have always used Disney transportation and it works really well. Personally, I am one of the people who likes to be waiting for the first bus so I don't know how it works later in the morning, but I have never had any problems.

Traffic is mind-boggling, I couldn't even imagine trying to drive.

Transportation is available to/from the start/finish line if you are staying at a Disney resort. Many are buses, but monorail transportation is also used.

As magicofdisney stated, packet pickup is at ESPN Wide World of Sports. Disney provides bus transportation to/from the Expo.

Honestly, I love Disney races, despite the negatives (I live in the mid-west so winter races means training in cold/snow and the early, early wake ups for the races) I often have to choose one race a year and that choice will always be Disney if it is in my control.
    Have a Magical Day!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! Much appreciated. Still thinking about it - and so far the thinking is I'd like to try one!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad I read this. I'd like to do one at some point. We're probably not returning to WDW until 2021/2022 so if I want to I'll have to time the trip with a race. What time do the races normally begin?

In the meantime, I'll sign up for the Marvel themed virtual 5ks this summer.

Post Thanks / Like

I have done one Disney 5K, and afterwards basically decided I wouldn't do that again -- it's an awful lot of pain and suffering for a very short race. But recently I successfully finished a 10-mile (non-Disney) race (mostly walking, but enough running and a generally peppy enough pace to meet Disney's pacing requirement), and thought to myself, "well heck, how much harder can a half marathon be?" Before I came to my senses I had signed up for the WDW Half this coming January.

Here's some things I know from having done one race, having been on their mailing list ever since, and being a local and an AP holder:

- 5Ks are not necessarily worth what they cost. The reg fee is 2-3 times what you are used to paying for a 5K at home, and you will be mustering at 4 AM only to wait in a corral for hours before the race starts. You have tens of thousands of people for company, it's over in a flash, and the medals are not made of metal. The shirt I got for that race was full color and has awesome art, but is regular cotton, and again, you're paying a pile of money for so-so swag and a lot of waiting/crowds/etc. Now that being said, if a 5K is how much race you can do and you want the experience, I really do not regret doing it at all, and it's a nice gateway drug for longer races.

- The Expo is pretty cool, and generally runs from at least a day before the first race and all weekend. It's at ESPN as stated above, and it's a big hall full of vendors and opportunities to buy cool stuff. RunDisney branded merch can be very cool and unique, and non-Disney vendors will often have stuff that makes fun Disneybounding gear for your run costume if you're into that.

-RunDisney WDW races are pretty much always a series now - with 5K, 10K, and half (or similar) distance offerings and a "challenge" for those who have no more sense than to do all of them. So far only the WDW Marathon weekend has a full marathon, and yes, you can sign up to do all four races that weekend if you are crazy enough to want to run 50 miles and pay them hundreds and hundreds of dollars for the privilege. (I think that challenge runs something like $650 now -- I'd much rather spend that kind of cash on an annual pass or a long weekend hotel stay, neither of which is included Because it's a series, the 5K is typically Thursday, 10K Friday, half is Saturday and full is Sunday.

- The post-race snack box I got from the 5K was quite good. As with most Disney events, they get sponsors to provide freebies, so there were samples of different things like granola bars and applesauce packets. That was a little nicer than some 5Ks I've done. I assume something similar is on offer after a longer race.

- Yes, transportation is available from all the resorts to ESPN for the Expo and to the race sites, starting plenty early enough. Disney is pretty good at this now, so you should get plenty of information from RunDisney in advance and on race weekend. I remember having no difficulty with transportation - your resort CMS should be able to answer any questions. I believe they used DCL/DME buses for that rather than the regular park buses, and picked up in front of the door rather than at the bus stops, presumably to avoid confusion for other guests. I would definitely NOT drive if you can avoid it!!

- Races happen crazy early in the morning to minimize impact on park ops and other guests. So the 5K, for example, will be long gone from Epcot well before 9:00 AM. With the half and full that's harder -- but as I recall from being in a park on a marathon day, it's just a bit of a bottleneck for non-runners to get around as priority is given to runners while the race is underway. I would expect them to enforce the pacing requirement on the long races, though, because they do go through parks and courtesy to other guests is paramount. The race is going to end when they say it's going to end, and if you aren't fast enough, you're gonna get swept. The good news is that the pacing requirement is 16-minute miles, and as anybody who has needed to make a FastPass+ window knows, that's nothing more than a brisk walk!

Hope this helps.
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

9. Likes ThanxForNoticin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It does help - a lot. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

One point of correction from the previous post. 5K medals are now made of metal (used to be rubber?). Their weight is quite substantial. They seem to be on a par with all other medals now offered for any Disney run.

Additionally, I'm a local as well (12miles from AK) so I always drive, and I've never had issues driving to a race.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    One point of correction from the previous post. 5K medals are now made of metal (used to be rubber?). Their weight is quite substantial. They seem to be on a par with all other medals now offered for any Disney run.

Additionally, I'm a local as well (12miles from AK) so I always drive, and I've never had issues driving to a race.
    Same here. I've never had any problems driving wether going a 5K or spectator. My Star Wars inaugural 5K medal is metal and just as much bling as the other races. Getting ready to sign up for the Star Wars 5K next month.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi! I haven't read everyone's responses but I will chime in and say that I've done many RunDisney races on both coasts and they're actually very exciting. I like them because they are very low pressure (especially the 5K and 10K). Characters are along the route and people stop for pictures - you're there to have fun!

It's also very interesting to see all the backstage areas they let you run in, depending on the course and race you're doing.

I've driven to races before - no problems at all, and it's nice to have your car right there when your race is done. On the off-chance you start at one location and the race ends at another location, they'll have shuttles to take you back to your starting point to get your car.

Buses are great too if you don't have a car on site. We usually aim to get to the starting line around 4:00am-4:30am. So obviously if you're driving you don't need to leave as early; with the buses you'll have to get up and going a little sooner.

They have booths and music and lots going on while you're sorted into your corrals... and then there's a lot of standing around waiting for your group to start the run. It builds excitement!

Give a race a try - I bet you'll have fun!
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: