Quantcast Tell me about Old Key West

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tell me about Old Key West

I have developed a fascination with this resort. What can you tell me about it? Is it a central bus station or multiple stations? What are the highlights there? What are the cons?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We love Old Key West - it's our original home resort for our DVC membership. Actually, when we bought, it was called Disney Vacation Club resort!

There are at least 5 bus stops (maybe 6?) throughout the resort, including one at the main Hospitality House. There is also an internal-only bus, but if you know where you need to be, you can grab a theme-park bus or Disney Springs bus to get to another OKW bus stop, too.

High level pros: Rooms are big - largest of the DVC resorts. A studio at OKW has 2 actual queen beds (not a pull-out), and a mini-kitchen area with small fridge, microwave, etc. All the rooms have an outdoor balcony, either with a water view or golf course view. The main Hospitality area is awesome, with a large pool (w/ slide), poolside play areas for the little kids (sand and slides, etc), play areas for the bigger kids (tennis courts, basketball nets, shuffle board, ping pong, fitness center, etc). The boat transportation will take you to/from Disney Springs much of the day. I believe you can also rent a boat to float around the canal on your own!

High level cons: The resort is very spread out, so if you don't get a room near the hospitality area, you might need to take a bus or car to enjoy that area (Note -when making a reservation, you can request "close to hospitality house"). But there are quiet pools throughout the resort, so you can certainly enjoy time at a pool without being in the main area with everyone else! The food options are a bit limited. Olivia's is very nice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. But it's still just one option. They do have some snacks you can get by the main pool, too. One potentially BIG con is when OKW was built, even though the buildings go 3 or 4 floors up, they didn't build elevators initially. They did add a few additional new buildings to the resort after they could close up the marketing areas where they had the demo rooms and sales people. In those buildings only, they did add elevators. But if you cannot or won't do steps, you need to request a building with elevator accessibility or a first floor room.

I'm sure others will have some thoughts, too. As I said, we still love OKW. It just has a homey and peaceful feel when we are there. We have some amazing family memories there. If you get the chance, I would recommend you give it a try and see what you think!

Post Thanks / Like

There are multiple stops. I prefer staying near hospitality house. There is a boat available to Disney Springs from hospitality house and there is also a sit-down restaurant here. The rooms are very large. Depending on where you stay, you could experience noise from buses as buses travel very close to the rooms in some locations of this resort.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I'm even more excited to try it now.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have too much to add. This is also our home resort, but we have only stayed there once...last year during Hurricane Irma. We loved it. It's beautiful, great location (close to Epcot and Disney Springs). It has one of the golf courses that goes through/adjacent to part of it.

We loved our experience there, although it was a bit different than what you would normally get because of the hurricane. We were confined to the resort in the day leading up to the hurricane, and spent some time around the Hospitality House. WDW had sent Chip and Dale to keep guests occupied, and we wound up with a GREAT character interaction - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGbkWyKBhwo

The hurricane hit us at night, and we slept through it. We never lost power/internet/cable. The next morning, we were out and about around 10am (parks closed for damage assessment/cleanup of course), but they got the pool open by 3pm and we all went swimming. Here is a little video of the minimal hurricane damage around our building (which also shows you where our ice machine was): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNKXVVtiKAo

This is only complaint - that the ice machines are located at the bus stop. So we had to walk down the street to get ice in the bucket.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Previous posters have covered things pretty well, but I just wanted to add that you may not get a "feel" for the vibe of the place on a drive through. Many years ago, we were offered a great last minute deal to stay at OKW. We didn't take it because we weren't familiar with the place. But when we were in WDW, we decided to drive through to see what we'd missed-not much, we decided. Then we joined DVC, and on one trip had to extend an extra night. The only thing available was OKW, so we reluctantly took it. Surprisingly, we LOVED it when we were there-just the casual vibe, and the homey (to us) feeling.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder why a lot of DVC members prefer to stay at other places.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I wonder why a lot of DVC members prefer to stay at other places.
    Not that I can speak for all DVC members, but I think one of the perks of DVC is the variety that's available to members at the WDW location. There are times we prefer to stay at Beach Club or Boardwalk due to location (during some of the EPCOT festivals, for example). There are times we prefer to stay at AKL for the restaurants or proximity to AK. But we never intentionally avoid OKW - it's not the perfect location all the time, especially since they've opened so many other DVC resorts. But it is a peaceful, relaxing place to stay.

I think it gets a bit of a bad rep since quite often it's one of the few resorts that tends to be available for late reservations - but one of the reasons for that is because it's so large with so many rooms. There naturally will be rooms available there longer (same with Saratoga).

We don't always stay at OKW, but when we do - I really look forward to those days. And we have stayed there many, many times, having bought there originally when it was The Vacation Club - and was the only location available!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    Not that I can speak for all DVC members, but I think one of the perks of DVC is the variety that's available to members at the WDW location. There are times we prefer to stay at Beach Club or Boardwalk due to location (during some of the EPCOT festivals, for example). There are times we prefer to stay at AKL for the restaurants or proximity to AK. But we never intentionally avoid OKW - it's not the perfect location all the time, especially since they've opened so many other DVC resorts. But it is a peaceful, relaxing place to stay.

I think it gets a bit of a bad rep since quite often it's one of the few resorts that tends to be available for late reservations - but one of the reasons for that is because it's so large with so many rooms. There naturally will be rooms available there longer (same with Saratoga).

We don't always stay at OKW, but when we do - I really look forward to those days. And we have stayed there many, many times, having bought there originally when it was The Vacation Club - and was the only location available!
    That makes sense. I bet you are you glad you bought early on. Your prices must have been amazing compared to what they are now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    That makes sense. I bet you are you glad you bought early on. Your prices must have been amazing compared to what they are now.
    No question - the prices to buy new from Disney are now more than 3x what we paid for our original contract. But the 25+ years of memories are the real value!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: