Quantcast Eliminating plastic straws and lids.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Eliminating plastic straws and lids.

After reading this I have concerns:
    According to Mouse Mail (an official Disneyland publication) plastic straws are to be available only by request. And plastic lids for adult iced beverages will no longer be offered. Please note that guests with disabilities who may require a straw or lid for their beverage will be accommodated with alternative options, and the Services for Guests with Disabilities team will be available before and during visits.
    Last week I had a mild stroke and have been left with numbness on my left side which leaves me with minor trouble holding beverage glasses at times. I would love to hear from others who will be needing extra help and any experiences in the next few months before my next trip.
    BTW, I have been extremely blessed and am doing very well. Along with using a scooter at WDW since 2005 do to mobility issues, I now have a walker and a stair lift for home use. Looking forward to many more trips to WDW in the future, zipping around on my ECV.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

They may be using the paper straws instead of plastic now. Glad you are doing well.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

4. Thanks TheDuckRocks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm behind the paper straws 100%. My concern is a lid as they add quite a bit of stability to the cup itself.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I hate the no lid thing. I don't want stuff in my drink, the paper cups are too thin collapse. Hmm, maybe extend the resort mug option..
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

7. Likes TheDuckRocks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We’re here now, some of the places have made the switch to paper straws while others have not. As far as the lid for adult beverages, Disney has never provided a lid for drinks containing alcohol. We just carry our own mugs and pour it into that. Right now they are still providing lids for non alcoholic drinks.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

9. Thanks TheDuckRocks thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I HATE HATE paper straws.. not in concept, but they are actually my 'Nails on a Chalkboard." I just have the reaction to wet paper.. I get cold shivers simply thinking about it (I literally just did writing this) There is no way I can use paper straws due to this life long.. not phobia.. but involuntary reaction to it. Popsicle sticks/wrappers do the same thing to me. I'd rather chew on aluminum foil.
    "No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try." -Yoda

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Biggeek View Post
    I HATE HATE paper straws.. not in concept, but they are actually my 'Nails on a Chalkboard." I just have the reaction to wet paper.. I get cold shivers simply thinking about it (I literally just did writing this) There is no way I can use paper straws due to this life long.. not phobia.. but involuntary reaction to it. Popsicle sticks/wrappers do the same thing to me. I'd rather chew on aluminum foil.
    They are yucky.
    Funny, I was watching TV the other day and thought of this thread when a commercial for Twizzler Straws came on.
    I guess kids wouldn't mind biting off the top and bottom of a twizzler licorice and use it as a straw like the commercial showed.

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t know if it’s something you’d want to bring with you, but Amazon has reusable stainless steel straw you could purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuckRocks View Post
    After reading this I have concerns:
    According to Mouse Mail (an official Disneyland publication) plastic straws are to be available only by request. And plastic lids for adult iced beverages will no longer be offered. Please note that guests with disabilities who may require a straw or lid for their beverage will be accommodated with alternative options, and the Services for Guests with Disabilities team will be available before and during visits.
    Last week I had a mild stroke and have been left with numbness on my left side which leaves me with minor trouble holding beverage glasses at times. I would love to hear from others who will be needing extra help and any experiences in the next few months before my next trip.
    BTW, I have been extremely blessed and am doing very well. Along with using a scooter at WDW since 2005 do to mobility issues, I now have a walker and a stair lift for home use. Looking forward to many more trips to WDW in the future, zipping around on my ECV.

One thing I just noticed is that you mentioned the Disneyland publication, but then said you're looking to many more trips to WDW. My guess is that this will only affect Disneyland, because California is having a big push to get rid of the plastic straws. If you are going to Florida, it might be a non-issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    One thing I just noticed is that you mentioned the Disneyland publication, but then said you're looking to many more trips to WDW. My guess is that this will only affect Disneyland, because California is having a big push to get rid of the plastic straws. If you are going to Florida, it might be a non-issue.
    Sorry to have not been clear. I did a copy and paste of a section of an article that was very much longer and at the beginning of it stated both WDW and DL. The story then continued to all other aspects of the changes including the plastic bags.
    I did volunteer work at the Waikiki Aquarium for a number of years and saw first hand what plastic items, balloons, and those cages from the candlelit things they send into the skies at weddings can do to sea turtles and sea lions. It's about time we humans started cleaning up after ourselves and thinking before tossing our junk where it will end up in our oceans.
    That said, my selfish self is concerned about the stability of the soda fountain cups. This is a learning process for "the new me" and after twice dumping a cup of water on myself, I have visions of sticky coke all over me and the scooter. I know I will find a solution and was just sort wondering what Disney has in mind or if they haven't figured it out yet.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI

Post Thanks / Like

We've been making a conscious effort to be more environmentally aware, and I bought a pack of stainless steel reusable straws. Love them! Not expensive and very handy, saves on plastic waste. Will carry one with me to use and wash and reuse when I go out. I would have no problem carrying my own straws to Disney or going without. If you need a lid, you can get one on request so I don't see that it will really be a big problem going forward.

Oh, and Kay, I'm really sorry to hear about your stroke. I'm glad you're doing well with recovery and getting back to what you enjoy. Best wishes.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I recently saw on Amazon, flexible silicone straws that come with a straw brush. I bet those would be super easy to travel with for use in places that ban straws. Like Sherri, I purchased stainless steel straws many years ago and use them exclusively at home. They can be tricky with hot liquids so I may also invest in the silicone straws just mentioned.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Another one of those, its sounds good and seams easy, but contradictory actions by Disney.

They still sell tons of one time only use items (food packaging), balloons, and so forth. One could argue many of their souvenirs are one time use.

Heck, disney is still a one in a life type trip for many people, and you still have to get magic bands, hence making them disposable.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I always bring a refillable water bottle with me. I have it attached to my walker. You can put any drink in it. I use it for water or crystal light. I'm always at a quick service to get cups of ice water and just transfer it to my water bottle.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

My family carries RTIC tumblers (we each have our own) in our back pack, and we just pour our drinks into those. The drink stays cold (or hot when we go in the winter) longer, and the plastic top keeps it from spilling.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody! I have decided to purchase a cup holder made for the scooter from Amazon and each trip I will buy a new travel mug with lid and handle. I just dumped another glass of water on myself again this morning and think this will be the answer for me. I wonder if that counts towards my 8 cups of water a day?
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI

21. Likes magicofdisney liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody! I have decided to purchase a cup holder made for the scooter from Amazon and each trip I will buy a new travel mug with lid and handle. I just dumped another glass of water on myself again this morning and think this will be the answer for me.
    Sounds like a good plan, Kay, and sorry to hear about your stroke. My husband had two small strokes earlier this summer and it turned out lives upside-down for a while. Despite very extensive testing they were never able to determine the cause. Fortunately he bounced back fairly quickly and has returned to work. I'm a nurse and used to dealing with this stuff, but strokes are scary.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody! I have decided to purchase a cup holder made for the scooter from Amazon and each trip I will buy a new travel mug with lid and handle. I just dumped another glass of water on myself again this morning and think this will be the answer for me. I wonder if that counts towards my 8 cups of water a day?
    Sounds like a good excuse to buy a cup. (as if any of us need one )

Post Thanks / Like

I hate and I mean hate the paper straws. They taste weird and have a strange texture that I can't stand. I guess we will have to add a pack of plastic straws to our WDW backpack that we carry to the parks.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just carry a mug or similar and insulated container? Just dump and toss the paper cup.

I remember being little and they were using paper straws at WDW back as far as the late 70s early 80s. Hated them then, hate them now. Although now the paper technology for straws is a lot better, paper amd glue come apart when submerged for a while.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: