Quantcast When to start worrying about hurricanes?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default When to start worrying about hurricanes?

This is my first fall trip without Strmchsr. When do I need to start worrying about hurricanes?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hurricane season lasts until November. So far it has been a quiet year for Florida

Post Thanks / Like

September and October are the most active months. They can really line up behind each other too. But hopefully they will stay clear of FL this year. We could use a year off.

Back in October of 2005, I was on my birthday trip to Disney and was at MNSSHP and the fireworks were delayed because of hurricane Wilma. They eventually shot off. The show went on anyway. It wasn’t a direct hurricane hit. But there was still wind and rain. Probably one of the most fun and memorable times! We were like what hurricane? It didn’t stop us.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, hoping for no hurricanes during our visit in October. Our last October visit was for the Intercot meet about 10 years ago. We got there ok then the weather started looking bad. Went to MK for a meet and got early access that night for new Fantasyland rides that weren’t open yet ( just a random night they opened it up before official date). We got to spend the morning at Epcot our second day. Enjoyed the meet breakfast at Living Seas then had to fly home our second day- the rest of our week vacation cancelled�� we were so lucky to get home when we did. Our power was out for almost a week due to damage and our girls would have freaked out to be alone with the animals that long. Other east coast Intercot friends got “stuck” at WDW extra days or had trouble getting flights home.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katzateer View Post
    Yeah, hoping for no hurricanes during our visit in October. Our last October visit was for the Intercot meet about 10 years ago. We got there ok then the weather started looking bad. Went to MK for a meet and got early access that night for new Fantasyland rides that weren’t open yet ( just a random night they opened it up before official date). We got to spend the morning at Epcot our second day. Enjoyed the meet breakfast at Living Seas then had to fly home our second day- the rest of our week vacation cancelled�� we were so lucky to get home when we did. Our power was out for almost a week due to damage and our girls would have freaked out to be alone with the animals that long. Other east coast Intercot friends got “stuck” at WDW extra days or had trouble getting flights home.
    Stupid Sandy!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

I remember how Sandy added some extra fun to that Intercot meet!

We are regular late August travelers, and have found that we've never had a major storm while in Florida. A few tropical storms or even a Cat 1 hurricane, but nothing to really worry about. However, as we're leaving, there is often a storm coming in. I would start worrying the beginning of September ... and we're going the end of October this year, so we'll worry then!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NickD100 View Post
    Back in October of 2005, I was on my birthday trip to Disney and was at MNSSHP and the fireworks were delayed because of hurricane Wilma. They eventually shot off. The show went on anyway. It wasn’t a direct hurricane hit. But there was still wind and rain. Probably one of the most fun and memorable times! We were like what hurricane? It didn’t stop us.
    We were there that night too! For our 10th Anniversary. However I thought I recalled them ended the event early because the weather was so bad and Disney giving us a one day voucher to make up for the miss. It was a fun weekend (weather-wise)!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    We were there that night too! For our 10th Anniversary. However I thought I recalled them ended the event early because the weather was so bad and Disney giving us a one day voucher to make up for the miss. It was a fun weekend (weather-wise)!
    Maybe the party I went was on the night when Wilma was first coming through. Maybe the next day they canceled that party. I dunno. Maybe I was mistaken. That was a while ago. lol. But I do know I was camping at fort wilderness and they put us up in All Star. They closed the campground due to Wilma. And the next day after the party I remember driving in heavy rain back home. It was the end of my trip. And I was pulling a golf cart. Named her Lucile and she was drowning in Wilma going back home to GA. lol. But it was a fun birthday trip!!! Had a blast.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully it will be an uneventful year.

11. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the words of Bobby McFerrin..."Don't worry....Be Happy!"
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Even if a hurricane does hit, Disney is the place to be!!! Their electrical lines are underground so they don't lose power. I've heard many people in Florida (and I have friends down there) book rooms at Disney if a hurricane is going to hit for that reason. I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    In the words of Bobby McFerrin..."Don't worry....Be Happy!"
    The "Don't worry . . . . Be Happy Trip Report" also known as "The day the Intercot meet lasted 24 hours due to Hurricane Charlie" :P

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mydisneygirls View Post
    Even if a hurricane does hit, Disney is the place to be!!! Their electrical lines are underground so they don't lose power. I've heard many people in Florida (and I have friends down there) book rooms at Disney if a hurricane is going to hit for that reason. I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard.
    I have heard that also. I was mostly concerned about flying in and out. I'm not a big fan of flying and we'll have a 2 year old with us.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: