Quantcast Review of my Universal/Seaworld trip staying at the Royal Pacific Resort...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Review of my Universal/Seaworld trip staying at the Royal Pacific Resort...

A very nice hotel!! We received absolutely EXCEPTIONAL service at every turn, really quite exceeding Disney. (this has been somewhat marred by a billing mistake that caused me some stress and may not be quite sorted out yet). The room I think felt a little smaller than our room at POR, and less storage space, but much newer. Lots of usb ports and plug ins, and very nice shower area (although a curtain would be appreciated - and only one sink. included a mini fridge and they kept giving us bottles of water (for free! lol). We stayed club level, so maybe that is why, but we must have gotten a really good rate, because the price we paid was LESS than the price for an equivalent Non-Club room at the time we actually travelled. The lounge made it really, really worthwhile- breakfast there every morning, and their "evening snacks" served as supper every night. Free wine doesn't hurt my feelings either.
    Service - I had ordered a package (mostly with an air mattress for daughter) to be sent ahead of time. We arrived on Saturday and the business center was not going to be open again until Monday, but "Lindsey" went with a security guard to look anyway. For some reason my NAME was also not on the package (my mistake or Amazons) but she called me for the tracking number and got it right to me! So appreciated. We took a cab a couple of days to go off site, and they pop you right into one with complimentary bottles of ice cold water for the trip. (I did calculate that their town cars were about $5.00 per trip more than a taxi, but for the 2 trips we took in one we didn't mind and the service was great). The folks in the concierge lounge were also wonderful, coming around to refill my wine glass more times that I should have said yes ;-) AND when you have packages sent back to the resort, they actually deliver them right to your room, instead of you having to pick them up at the store like in Disney.
    Pool is very nice but we did NOT like the automatic gratuity added to the bill at the poolside restaurant. we tip, but don't like being forced to! But they'll actually serve you right at poolside - any time we went down there they'd come ask if we wanted anything.
    But we didn't go there for the hotel, did we? So here is about the actual parks - with our unlimited express passes both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure were a breeze - we did absolutely everything, and all between the hours of about 9-3 each day. We got to go on attractions that we hadn't been willing to wait in line for in the past, so I felt very, very satisfied. I'm also sick to death of motion simulators, which feels like mostly what Studios has. The new Diagon Alley area is superb, and Escape from Gringotts is a good ride although a little short. Hands down the best ride in both parks, in my opinion, is still the Mummy. We ate at the Leaky Cauldron in Studios and found the food very, very good (much moreso than you expect to find in a Quick Service in a theme park). I love the system where they find you a table and bring you your food. We skipped Three Broomsticks after learning it wasn't as well run, and had lunch at Mythos instead when we went to Islands. It was good, although FREEZING cold since we were soaked to the bone. Oh yeah, both days were spent sloshing around up to our ankles.
    Day 3 we did Discovery Cove and thank goodness it was actually a lovely day right up until a gigantic thunderstorm drove everyone out of the park at 4:00. (by the way HOW THE HECK can they sell me ONE single photo for $50, and then tell me they can't find me a plastic bag to put it in? I got the "we are an eco park" line and said "Really? Because you have ROLLS of plastic bags in all the bathrooms, and nothing but plastic dishes and cups all around the resort...". But aside from that it was an absolutely AMAZING day!! Considering it gets you admission to Sea World, and food and drinks all day, it really isn't as bad a price as it sounds at first glance. And we found there is so much too do! Even if you don't do the dolphin swim (daughter did, since she can't really remember doing it when she was 10. Hubby and I skipped it, and thus saved $100 each). That said, we have heard some people say it is "boring" because there are no rides and "nothing to do but look at animals". I suppose that is true of snorkelling among gorgeous rays and tropical fish, and swimming through paradise - right through an aviary with birds that will land in your hand- and watching marmosets and river otters from a lounger right in the water with a drink in your hand - is "doing nothing". :-)
    Day 4 Seaworld and it was HOT and MUGGY and did I say I minded the rain? I would have welcomed some. It was really much more crowded than I would have expected - good thing I don't really go there for the rides , as the lines were super long. I'd spring for the "Quick Queue" (express pass) if that was important to me. I love the shows - and I think my favourite was actually the dolphin show. It's kind of not the same with the Orcas now that the trainers aren't allowed in the water (don't get started on Blackfish - I have a daughter than works at the Vancouver Aquarium, and I think that movie was mighty misleading, but I know that a lot of people do have strong feelings about animal acts). Clyde and Seamore still cute, although I liked the old story line (Pirates) better than the new one (Pinniped High). If you do Seaworld but skip the small animal show because they are ordinary - don't! We really, really enjoyed that one. Amazing what they can get a cat to do ! It was a very full day and we honestly didn't get to do and see everything we wanted to. We did the Quick Service "eat all day" meal plan, and I'm not sure I can recommend it - it was convenient BUT doesn't include all the eateries - so you spend some time looking for one that is on plan, and MOST of the food was really NOT very good at all.
    And I guess that's it - but I'd be happy to answer any questions if anyone wants to know more about the parks or the resort.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am 100% with you on your review of Universal and Royal Pacific. Our trips were a month apart and it sounds like you had as great a stay as we did. I wish we could have gotten whatever rate you found on club level! We loved Royal Pacific and won't stay anywhere else when we go Universal.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Did you notice if the rides have size limitations like the Universal rides in California do?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Universal Orlando and Seaworld does. Pretty well versed.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Here was my experience - full disclosure - I'm 5'6" and about 290. Ironically I never tried some of these rides when I was about 30 pounds lighter because I was embarrassed - hah! Too old to care anymore ;-) and my Intercot family makes me brave! My daughter was also determined that mom was going to have fun no matter what! So - I was able to do both Escape from Gringotts and the Mummy with a little extra "squish" from the attendants, who were really awesome and very kind (for Disney reference, this was exactly the same situation with Flights of Passage in Animal Kingdom). The other Harry Potter ride- Forbidden Journey was almost but not quite. The Attendant very kind - he said "i'm sorry, sweetheart, but you will not be able to ride this ride'". Bilge Rat Barges was embarrasing - required a seat belt extender (which they had, but made me not willing to try Kali at Disney). The Hulk and Rip Ride were absolutely a no go, but I rode everything else. At Seaworld - I honestly didn't try the rides, as I assume all would have been a no -go and i wasn't really interested. I remember seeing an attendant with a knee in some woman's gut trying to cram her on to Kraken, LOL. Honestly, I was surprised how much I COULD ride, and really impressed with the kind and courteous treatment. Even the girl and Bilge Rats was really nice about finding me the extender without drawing a lot of attention to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know they handled it well. I still think we will skip it. I don’t want to put DDIL in that situation again and bring back bad memories. I was so furious when the people at Universal California made her cry.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably wise. That just about turned her off of theme parks altogether - and I think since she is somewhat younger than us, she probably isn't as thick skinned about possible embarrassment. Poor girl :-(

Post Thanks / Like

Seaworld will probably be okay. I'm pretty good sized. Only thing I could ride was anything that requires a chest harness (the manta ray, etc) which i'm not inclined to ride anyways. Since Seaworld is mostly exhibits with a few rides (the penguins, arctic whatever, and atlantis, you'll be okay), just not the manta ray, and anything w/ a chest harness.

Universal. Well, same rules apply. Chest harness no. Laps okay. FYI, dudley do right is pretty snug, especially after you've been on and are wet. I was okay on Men in Black, JP, Spiderman, etc. Nothing Harry Potter or Mummy. Unfortunately, they did let me on Voyages of Sinbad...

Minions at Universal Cali was pretty sensitive, and only did the lapbar.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    Probably wise. That just about turned her off of theme parks altogether - and I think since she is somewhat younger than us, she probably isn't as thick skinned about possible embarrassment. Poor girl :-(
    She is in her early 20s and pretty sensitive all around, which is why I never talk to her about it directly. I'm definitely not the type of person who would be in a hallmark channel feel good movie, unless there's a character who will tell you the negative impact of whatever your vice is without sugar-coating it and then just accept you - vice and all. Most people don't like hearing the first part and assume I don't like them. The reality is I've seen enough to know everyone has their "thing" (more often there's more than one) that isn't healthy for them, but it doesn't make them a bad person. As long as you know and accept the consequences of your choices, then it is your choice to make. We all die of something.

Thankfully DS knows how I am and knows how to get her to look past the words and see the heart behind my actions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Universal Orlando and Seaworld does. Pretty well versed.
    Have you ridden Flight of Passage yet? This is the only Disney ride that I have heard there are size concerns with. I have her pretty carefree about riding things at Disney. I don't want to mess that up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Have you ridden Flight of Passage yet? This is the only Disney ride that I have heard there are size concerns with. I have her pretty carefree about riding things at Disney. I don't want to mess that up.
    I have not. Didn't need to bother. I know I can't. Had a friend go, similar size as me. Nope. On top of being smaller, you need to be relatively flexible w/ thin legs. Another concern. If you have thick or muscular legs, just not going to work.

I'd say if she couldn't do minions, then flights will be a no.

My buddy's wife is pretty normal size, but busty, and she had a tough time. But, she is pretty busty.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

I have not. Didn't need to bother. I know I can't. Had a friend go, similar size as me. Nope. On top of being smaller, you need to be relatively flexible w/ thin legs. Another concern. If you have thick or muscular legs, just not going to work.

I'd say if she couldn't do minions, then flights will be a no.

My buddy's wife is pretty normal size, but busty, and she had a tough time. But, she is pretty busty.
    My DS probably couldn't ride it either then. He's 6'4".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    My DS probably couldn't ride it either then. He's 6'4".
    Not without a double amputation. It'd be a tough fit... If you are of any kind of extreme size, (weight, bust, height, etc). Just probably not going to work. Though that have the test vehicle to give it a try if he wants to, without the time commitment.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

Not without a double amputation. It'd be a tough fit... If you are of any kind of extreme size, (weight, bust, height, etc). Just probably not going to work. Though that have the test vehicle to give it a try if he wants to, without the time commitment.
    I didn't notice a test vehicle. Where is it?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: