Quantcast Grand Floridian reviews please

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grand Floridian reviews please

My DD who is a culinary intern is able to get us a amazing rate for the Grand Floridian. We have never stayed here. Could never afford it. What are your experiences? We would be staying in a garden view room

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Ask to stay away from the elevators. The room closest to the elevators are just an arms length distance from the elevator doors. Enjoy the chocolate put in your room in the evening. I enjoyed my stay at the GF. Nice room.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

I've only stayed in the DVC building but love sitting in the main lobby. There's music, I've watched the princess parade of the little ones at the tea which is adorable. I love taking a walk around the resort at night, it's very relaxing. You can watch the fireworks from the dock or marina. They have great food on property which is great if you don't want to run around. I have said this before about the Grand Floridian that I always thought it would be too fussy for my family, we have 3 boys, but they enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of the grounds. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

I love the Grand Floridian! I agree with the previous post, the music throughout the day is wonderful! Let’s face it, it’s Disney. They make you feel at home no matter where you stay!
    All Star Sports-Hurricane Jeanne & Old Key West-2004
    All Star Movie, Old Key West, Coronado Spring-2005
    Wilderness Lodge-Club Level-2007
    All-Star Movies-November 2008
    AKL-Jambo House, Club Level - Feb 2011
    Contemporary Resort-May 2014
    Grand Floridian Resort- November 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy 1 View Post
    My DD who is a culinary intern is able to get us a amazing rate for the Grand Floridian. We have never stayed here. Could never afford it. What are your experiences? We would be staying in a garden view room
    Good for you.

We recently joined this forum with similar inquiries about the Grand Floridian after 28 stays at the Yacht Club and 1 at the Wilderness Lodge. We were taking 2 grand kids, ages 6 and 4, with us this past June 6th to 16th.

The responses were appreciated; but the number was quite disappointing.

So, let me try to do better.

1. You will likely stay in one of the OUTBUILDINGS; almost little replica's of the main building. There are currently being updated one at a time. We had building 7, 2nd floor, so our room number was 72_ _ _.

2. We recommend you make sure that you do not get a CONNECTING ROOM; and note that many of the discounted and convention rooms are such.

3. We spent little time (awake) in our room, the view was right over the large Sea Ray yacht, towards the Castle, but quite a bit of tree branch obstruction; no problem as we just weren't in the room other than to sleep.

4. The property is OPEN, AIRY and SPREAD OUT. There are literally hundreds of quite spaces if you so choose, and 3 pools. They are sort of outdated, but the family pool with waterslide, waterfall, outdoor bar (massive beer selection) was our favorite (ages 63, 63, 6 and 4). The main building is beautiful and easy access from all outbuildings. The BIG BAND, PIANO player, etc. play regularly and often. The 1st floor gets you in and out from car and buses, around the lobby and out the back past the restaurants (including the GF Cafe). The 2nd floor gets you to the bar, the band and access to the monorail.

4. Make breakfast reservations at the GF Cafe; don't take the chance that you just show up. Many are disappointed. Also, go early.

5. Make theme park fastpass selections starting at 10 then 11 then 12 (with the hour+ time). Go early, and go to the OTHER RIDES that aren't #1's and ride AT WILL. Minimal lines. Then work your fastpass rides in and start to sight see on the way to the next one. After your last fastpass, if you don't have little ones like we did, immediately use the app to make another fastpass wherever you want that day depending on your pass. If with little ones, we would grab an ice cream or frozen treat, take in a midday parade (near the exit), then head back to the GF pool for the afternoon.

6. There a couple nice, casual restaurants on site, one right near building 7 and one on the 2nd floor of the main building. Good menus, including kids. Note, stay away from the 'kids pizza and opt for the adult appetizer pizza's on flatbread; night and day difference. Mac and Cheese good, chicken tenders also for kids.

7. Use the monorail to your advantage. Take a ride over to the Contemporary at 5 and walk right in to the California Grill Bar. Great seating, couches, low tables right in the middle overlooking Magic Kingdom. Full menu; but if not your big dinner, great apps and sushi options.

8. Use the monorail for Epcot. Great ride.

9. Try to not bring a handbag or backpack; the security lines are BRUTAL.

10. Back to check-in, use the bellmen (best we've experienced at WDW) and their extended golf carts for your travel to your building and you luggage.

11. The GF ENTIRE STAFF is the most friendly we've had in 20 years at WDW. The BEST.

12. If you can, rent a car. You can go to Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios in the morning, a water park for an hour and for lunch, take a trip to Disney Springs (just don't go at night, CROWDS). Disney Springs walk in's at 5-5:30ish everywhere. Nothing thereafter. DON'T MISS the "ribs" @ Morimotos; anything at the Boatyard. The COST for VALET is only a couple bucks more than self parking; do it.

13. If back at the resort by night, watch the fireworks over the Castle from several venues at the GF; docks, outdoor self serve restaurant and (our favorite) the outdoor deck at Narcoosse's (piped in music from the parade). You can access it via the waiting area for the restaurant if the other entrance is closed. While there, GET A DRINK AT THE BAR to take with you. Nice place; great service.

14. Make sure to take the boat/tender to and from Magic Kingdom at least once. Fun.

15. Appreciate just how nice the LARGE spread out property is, and how the entire STAFF at all levels is the nicest and best we've had at WDW in decades.

We regret worrying about the Grand Floridian after 28 stays at the Yacht Club. Will be heading back to the Grand Floridian for 2 weeks next beginning of June 2019 with the little ones again.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend ingesting a tape worm a few weeks in advance so you can eat more food.. J/k.

Great stuff. Believe the hype. Have a great time.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite