Quantcast Grand Floridian w/GK's 4&6 after 28 Yacht Club Stays

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grand Floridian w/GK's 4&6 after 28 Yacht Club Stays

Looking for a little help to get us up to date from real experienced Grand Floridian past travelers.

We've been to WDW for 29 years, now 10-14 nights, with 28 stays at the Yacht Club and 1 at the Wilderness Lodge. THIS WILL BE OUR 30th WDW STAY. We're all set with our PARK PLANS.

This year we are taking our two oldest grand kids to WDW 6/6-6/16/18. They are boy 4 and girl 6; very experienced at parks in So. California (Lego Land and Knotsberry Farm almost 50 times). Oldest came with us to WDW YC a year ago after Thanksgiving.

They are totally great behavior.

We are actually almost EXPERTS re: the Yacht Club, the entire Boardwark area, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, getting around, etc. NOT SO RE: GRAND FLORIDIAN.

QUESTIONS:

1. Room Location - We will be at the parks in the morning each day, we always return after a parade or show to the resort pool and lunch. Poolside leisure during the afternoon. Early dining (the kids are totally great) and early to bed. GIVEN THIS, what room location should we be looking for? Also, what room locations TO AVOID.

2. Pool, Kid Friendly - We are so spoiled with the YC pool; what should be expect of the pools at the Grand Floridian? They are good in the water, one still uses chest/arm floats. Is the water slide appropriate (GD did Yacht Club pirate ship water slide and loved it).

3. Best Food Options - For Kids - At the Grand Floridian (casual) and pool? We are reserved for the California Grill @ Contemporary, Morimoto's @ Disney Springs (they are 50% Japanese and love Asian) and plan a couple of ventures after Epcot at the YC Ale and Compass and memory lane stop at the ESPN Club. BUT WHAT IS A GOOD PLAN AT THE GRAND FLORIDIAN WITH THE 4-6 YO GRAND KID FOCUS?

Thanks to anyone that can respond.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only stayed at the Grand Floridian DVC. I thought the resort would be too fussy for us but I find it relaxing. The pools tend to get crowded but I think your GD would be fine on the slide and they have a kids area which appears cute, my boys were too old by the time we stayed there. Also, they have the Pirate Adventure Cruise for little ones, not sure of the cost or availability but I think it lasts a couple of hours which might be a nice break for you.

The food at the pool with the slide is nice, love the crab cake sandwich. Gasparilla's isn't bad to grab breakfast or lunch, but I would avoid the burgers, they are too thick and dry for my liking. My family loves the Grand Floridian Cafe, we have been for all three meals and have never had a bad server or meal. We love Narcoossee's, I haven't tried Citrico's so can't speak about that. I enjoy sitting in the lobby and listening to the music at night, they have a sitting area for kids and some kids dance around.

The boat back from the Magic Kingdom is great, it's always relaxing.

I know the pool's aren't as exciting as the Yacht Club but I find the location for the MK to be superb.

Have a wonderful trip! I hope you all enjoy the resort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SodaPopMGK View Post
    I have only stayed at the Grand Floridian DVC. I thought the resort would be too fussy for us but I find it relaxing. The pools tend to get crowded but I think your GD would be fine on the slide and they have a kids area which appears cute, my boys were too old by the time we stayed there. Also, they have the Pirate Adventure Cruise for little ones, not sure of the cost or availability but I think it lasts a couple of hours which might be a nice break for you.

The food at the pool with the slide is nice, love the crab cake sandwich. Gasparilla's isn't bad to grab breakfast or lunch, but I would avoid the burgers, they are too thick and dry for my liking. My family loves the Grand Floridian Cafe, we have been for all three meals and have never had a bad server or meal. We love Narcoossee's, I haven't tried Citrico's so can't speak about that. I enjoy sitting in the lobby and listening to the music at night, they have a sitting area for kids and some kids dance around.

The boat back from the Magic Kingdom is great, it's always relaxing.

I know the pool's aren't as exciting as the Yacht Club but I find the location for the MK to be superb.

Have a wonderful trip! I hope you all enjoy the resort.
    Thanks so much for the feedback.

Didn't know about ~

The kids Pirate Adventure Cruise.

The Grand Floridian Cafe seems upgraded like the new Ale and Compass at the Yacht Club.

That there was a boat to/from Magic Kingdom (thought just monorail).

Again, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy the Grand Floridian resort. The kids pool area looks fun, but I have never been there with children. They all look like they are enjoying it!

I’ve never felt like the GF was stuffy. The lobby is just wonderful throughout the day. The piano during the day, the jazz band throughout the evening...love!

Take them to an afternoon tea! Especially if they are adventurous! They do have one catered more for younger people!

I loved the Grand Floridian Cafe for breakfast. No characters. The French toast with vanilla butter.....LOVE! So good!

The resort is very manageable. I like the convenience of the monorail. The boat is beautiful to take at night!

I hope you enjoy your stay!
    All Star Sports-Hurricane Jeanne & Old Key West-2004
    All Star Movie, Old Key West, Coronado Spring-2005
    Wilderness Lodge-Club Level-2007
    All-Star Movies-November 2008
    AKL-Jambo House, Club Level - Feb 2011
    Contemporary Resort-May 2014
    Grand Floridian Resort- November 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I enjoy the Grand Floridian resort. The kids pool area looks fun, but I have never been there with children. They all look like they are enjoying it!

I’ve never felt like the GF was stuffy. The lobby is just wonderful throughout the day. The piano during the day, the jazz band throughout the evening...love!

Take them to an afternoon tea! Especially if they are adventurous! They do have one catered more for younger people!

I loved the Grand Floridian Cafe for breakfast. No characters. The French toast with vanilla butter.....LOVE! So good!

The resort is very manageable. I like the convenience of the monorail. The boat is beautiful to take at night!

I hope you enjoy your stay!
    Thank you for the reply. We've downloaded all the menu's at all of the venues and it looks like the GF Cafe is going to be just fine for a number meals. Possibly even the quick service @ Gasparilla's for quick bites.

Disney menus appear to have a lot more healthy (alternative diets) items on the menus, even for little ones. It's nice to see that the kids very typical favorites are on the breakfast, lunch and dinner menus at the Cafe.

Did not know it was "Character free" and think that is good as we've experienced the character overload when we raised our own three sons with Disney vacations.

Again, we PARK in the morning, catch a parade, show or lite bite on the way out when it gets really crowded mid-day and head back to the resort pool for lunch, play and rest. Sometimes we'll drive (we've rented a car the last 5 years as the transportation system became so time consuming at the Yacht Club we'd waste 1-3 hours a day in line, on buses an stopping at sister resorts) to a water park for an hour of quick fun, or to Disney Springs before the supper and evening crowds set it.

Again, thanks for the help.

Any chance you could advise on room location? Main building, out building, view preference? We'll only be in the room after VERY EARLY SUPPER and the kids are generally 'down for the night by 7 (unless we have a show or other reservation).

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing, if you want to see the MK fireworks you can see them from outside Gasparilla's or the boat dock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SodaPopMGK View Post
    One other thing, if you want to see the MK fireworks you can see them from outside Gasparilla's or the boat dock.
    Now 'that a tip that fits with the grands just 6 and 4. Thank you.

So, it's a 'tip like at the Yacht/Beach Club with little ones; don't need to be "in" Epcot (and boy is it crowded, rightfully so) to see the fireworks. They can be seen by many rooms, YC/BC pier, the bridge between BC and ESPN, etc.

Again, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Formula280SS View Post
    Now 'that a tip that fits with the grands just 6 and 4. Thank you.

So, it's a 'tip like at the Yacht/Beach Club with little ones; don't need to be "in" Epcot (and boy is it crowded, rightfully so) to see the fireworks. They can be seen by many rooms, YC/BC pier, the bridge between BC and ESPN, etc.

Again, thanks.
    Last call for any tips on building and room locations that are good for us with our grand kids 4 and 6? We'll be at the parks in the mornings and at the resort pool in the afternoon. Lite bites at the GF Cafe most nights and early to bed. So, is there such a thing at the GF as preferred locations for our plans?

Thanks to anyone who can offer tip. 10-days out.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the late response....I have stayed at the Big Pine Key...nice location. Boca Chica is nice also. Near pool. Not too far from main building. Quiet
    All Star Sports-Hurricane Jeanne & Old Key West-2004
    All Star Movie, Old Key West, Coronado Spring-2005
    Wilderness Lodge-Club Level-2007
    All-Star Movies-November 2008
    AKL-Jambo House, Club Level - Feb 2011
    Contemporary Resort-May 2014
    Grand Floridian Resort- November 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Sorry for the late response....I have stayed at the Big Pine Key...nice location. Boca Chica is nice also. Near pool. Not too far from main building. Quiet
    Hey, thank you for the reply. Helps.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: