Quantcast Someone please explain QSDP value to me

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Someone please explain QSDP value to me

Maybe I'm just a little brain dead on a Friday. I got a free dining email notice while I was out of town at a conference, so am just getting a chance to think about the possibilities now. My first search is only showing CBR as an option, which would give us (5 of us, all deemed "adults") the free QSDP.

So here is my question (I've only done the regular DDP in the past). My understanding that the cost to add this on OOP would be basically $53 per night, per person. My understanding is you get 2 CS and 2 snacks and refillable mug. As an accounting person, I try to figure out the math. If snacks average say $4 a snack, that is an $8 value per day, meaning you basically are paying $45 for the counter service meals a day (I'm not factoring in the refillable mug value). That means you are paying on average $22.50 for a counter service?

What am I missing. I could get the ribs at Flame Tree BBQ twice a day and that still wouldn't equal the $45. So I'm just wondering, how is this any value at all? Are there more expensive CS meals that I'm not thinking of? Most CS meals I think of as being in the $8-15 range not $20-25. So even with the "prepay" mentality, I can't think of any financial reason why anyone would do the QSDP.

I must be missing something. Someone enlighten me

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We have never used the QS dinning plan. But I do know the value of a snack can be between $4 to $7. We used the regular dinning plan in January. Many of the bagged treats such as trail mix were considered a snack

Post Thanks / Like

The pricing for the dining plans went up a whole lot when they added alcoholic beverages as a choice for adults.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Overall, there is no financial value to the Guest with any of the dining plans. The financial advantage goes to Disney. For some people, the prepay, "I don't have to think about it" aspect is an important enough intangible value that they're willing to overlook the actual added cost. Lots of people just assume the dining plans will save them money.

I'm sure there are some situations where the dining plan makes financial sense for some families - there are some interesting scenarios with the deluxe plan when multiple rooms and several kids under 10 are involved. But for most families, the plans won't save any money.

Disney would not market the dining plans so aggressively if the plans weren't a revenue source for them.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

6. Likes VWL Mom, dnickels liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your math is correct, there is no value in the dining plans. It costs less to pay out of pocket. The "free counter service dining" is their latest marketing gimmick.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, felt like I was losing it for a minute. I would never pay out of pocket for either plan at this point.

There is still value though in the "free" dining. For an eight night stay, I might be able to get a $50 or so discount per night at CBR, saving $400, where as the OOP price on the QSDP would be over $2100, so even though it might be stuff we wouldn't necessarily buy or eat, it does produce a greater savings over the room discount, as my family of 5 would easily surpass the $50 p/night room discount in our food purchases. Deluxe vs full DDP, then I'd have to do the math. The tough part for us now in the calculation process is that all three kids are now "adults" by Disney dining/ticketing standards.

9. Dislikes mom2morgan disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I find the whole thing so disappointing. My last trip was free dining and I got that AT POR, and it was the regular Dining plan. There was defninitely value in that for us, and the joy of trying nice dinners at table service restaurants that we otherwise might not have gone to. Free or otherwise, I would hate to restrict myself to ONLY Quick service for an entire trip! And since we don't eat much breakfast, that is what it would be - food courts lunch and supper, every day. Yuck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    I find the whole thing so disappointing. My last trip was free dining and I got that AT POR, and it was the regular Dining plan. There was defninitely value in that for us, and the joy of trying nice dinners at table service restaurants that we otherwise might not have gone to. Free or otherwise, I would hate to restrict myself to ONLY Quick service for an entire trip! And since we don't eat much breakfast, that is what it would be - food courts lunch and supper, every day. Yuck.
    If it were food courts only, I'd agree. However, it's quick service at any park and many at Disney Springs. The variety you find in those locations makes this a potentially great value if you can get it free.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    The two things in your statement that have really soured me are; that the moderate levels have now been downgraded to the QSDP instead of DDP and maybe even worse, that POR continues to be excluded from these offerings. As a family of 5, not many options available other than Deluxe and a few other choices I'm not particularly interested in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    If it were food courts only, I'd agree. However, it's quick service at any park and many at Disney Springs. The variety you find in those locations makes this a potentially great value if you can get it free.
    Definitely agree. With CS locations like Flame Tree BBQ, Yorkshire Fish and Chips, Columbia Harbour House, there are definitely enough places that one can now avoid the typical burger/pizza/mac n cheese offerings.

Unfortunately with lack of resort availability, the argument becomes a mute point.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: