Quantcast Anyone have Asthma or SVT? Concerned about the July heat

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone have Asthma or SVT? Concerned about the July heat

I was just diagnosed with Asthma and Supraventricular Tachycardia 2 months ago. We always go to Disney in July. If you have Asthma, how do you handle the heat? Do you get a DAS? What about SVT? The rides have never made me anxious so I don't think the SVT will bother me on the rides. We always speed walk to every ride and go hard most of the day. I don't think I will be able to do that anymore. Any advice is appreciated.
    1973 FW(in mom's womb)1974-1994 too many! FW1997,1998, 2000 WL Jan.2001, CS June 2001, FW 2002, 2004, July 2005-No Kids!, CS Nov 2005 Free Lady Emily Trip, AM May 2006, FW Dec-Jan 2006-2007, FW June 2009, House off site 2012, FW Spring Break 2013, FW Spring Break 2016, Staybridge 2018 No kids! AP

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of it will depend on how well medication and/or lifestyle changes control your conditions, there are people with asthma and SVT out running marathons and there are people at the other end of the spectrum who barely leave the couch and an oxygen tank. If you've always had these conditions but only recently become aware of them with an official diagnosis, you can probably just keep on doing what you've always done. If they've manifested themselves recently you'll probably just have to slow down some.

As far as the DAS, they tend to not issue that for impairments that are just physical, if your concern is that standing or walking in the heat will tire you out they'll probably suggest renting a wheelchair or scooter instead. DAS is really geared to mental impairments, kids with severe autism likely to have meltdowns in crowded lines, people with severe anxiety / claustrophobia / PTSD / etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I think the medicine is bothering me right now more than the Asthma and SVT. Hopefully it will all be straightened out by the time we go.
    1973 FW(in mom's womb)1974-1994 too many! FW1997,1998, 2000 WL Jan.2001, CS June 2001, FW 2002, 2004, July 2005-No Kids!, CS Nov 2005 Free Lady Emily Trip, AM May 2006, FW Dec-Jan 2006-2007, FW June 2009, House off site 2012, FW Spring Break 2013, FW Spring Break 2016, Staybridge 2018 No kids! AP

Post Thanks / Like

If they have you on a beta-blocker (type of medication for the svt), you may not be able to go as hard as you have previously. It won't allow your heart rate to increase too much for the increased physical demand that a lot of strenuous physical activity would cause. Make sure you stay well hydrated and that your electrolytes are within normal limits. Drink powerade/gatorade (unless you have another physical ailment that may contradict it such as kidney issues or uncontrolled diabetes). Some people have things that trigger their svt such as changes in intrathoracic pressure, cigarettes smoke, dehydration or low potassium/magnesium. If you have had more than one episode of svt, try to figure out what was causing it to start. Another alternative is to have a cardiac ablation done. I had mine done 13 years ago, and I haven't had a run of svt since.
    Do you have triggers for your asthma such as exercise or cigarette smoke? If so, just be aware of those as you go around the park. Keep your inhaler with you.
    As a nurse, the best advice I can tell you is to talk to your doctor. As someone who had SVT for most of her life, my advice is to find out what your triggers are and do your best to prevent or mitigate them. SVT won't kill you, but it can make you feel like you are dying.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't imagine. July is tough enough without any issues. Good luck.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I have adult-onset asthma, diagnosed about 30 years ago now so not new to me. For the first ten years, I was not very well controlled and reached for my rescue inhaler many times a day. More recent medications work much better at controlling my symptoms, though, and it really doesn't bother me much at all. I rarely use the rescue inhaler.

The downside of my main control medication (I'm on two, the main one is a corticosteroid, inhaled, and the other is a pill) is rapid heart rate and frequent urination. The heat and humidity of July doesn't really bother me in FL any more than it does anywhere else. It does bother my non-asthmatic husband. I just know where all of the bathrooms are now. Once you get used to your meds and how they affect you, you will have an easier time of it, I think. It becomes more second nature and you learn to avoid triggers, like overeating or exposure to irritants/allergens.

Our plan for the heat/humidity works well for us. We take it slower and don't stress. We do one or two parks a day, not all day in one park, that way we get to repeat favorites in parks on other days and are not cramming everything into one action packed frenzy day. We make sure we stay hydrated. We'll have a light breakfast early before hitting the parks, get to parks for opening and make the most of the early hours before the sun reaches peak. We make sure to alternate hotter attractions with AC attractions when possible, and we don't do meals at any outdoor locations. We take a long afternoon break with lunch and some resort time (bigger meal at lunch, lighter meal in the evening). And then hit a different park after four or five and stay for the evening hours. Sometimes, we will sleep late instead of rushing out in the morning and just enjoy a long past four pm day at a park until close. We're a lot more spontaneous now and less rushed, not due to any health conditions but the fact that we've been a few times and don't mind missing things here and there.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: