Quantcast Why so negative? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

"Now here we find ourselves with the FP+ system where you have to plan almost every detail months in advance. It is cumbersome, introduces stress into your vacation and is just an all around time wasting, aggravating experience. You can find plenty of complaints about this new system but yet Disney ignores it because it helps them increase profit."

I still haven't figured out how moving to FP+ helps Disney increase profit. In fact, they spent who knows how many millions on the system. I think that it's poorly thought out, and that they really tried to rev up the PR Spin Machine by telling people "it helps you be more flexible!" when, in fact, it's anything but. There are some benefits to the system, but the most frustrating this is just having to change the way we approach planning. We had a great system, and when they rolled out FP+, we had to completely adapt to something new. I don't mind it so much now, but I don't like the way they set it up.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Wait. What? There's chocolate? Why isn't there a whole thread about this?????
    Right from the Hershey's factory just next door!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

4. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    And maybe some of the new "Hershey's Gold" bars as well!!!
    The Gold bars are good, but if I'm getting something sweet then I prefer good ol' fashioned chocolate. Have you done the chocolate tasting class?
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

6. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    The Gold bars are good, but if I'm getting something sweet then I prefer good ol' fashioned chocolate. Have you done the chocolate tasting class?
    Actually, no. I rarely get to Hershey itself, unless it is for a concert at Giant Center (TSO every Fall!!), HersheyPark Stadium, or the Star Pavilion.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

8. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure!! Send your name address and a blank check and we can get a case (or two) sent out to you!!!

Might be able to get case lot discounts at Chocolate World!!

https://www.hersheysstore.com/HERSHE...Brand@Hersheys
    I think I just died and went to heaven.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

10. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    "Now here we find ourselves with the FP+ system where you have to plan almost every detail months in advance. It is cumbersome, introduces stress into your vacation and is just an all around time wasting, aggravating experience. You can find plenty of complaints about this new system but yet Disney ignores it because it helps them increase profit."

I still haven't figured out how moving to FP+ helps Disney increase profit. In fact, they spent who knows how many millions on the system. I think that it's poorly thought out, and that they really tried to rev up the PR Spin Machine by telling people "it helps you be more flexible!" when, in fact, it's anything but. There are some benefits to the system, but the most frustrating this is just having to change the way we approach planning. We had a great system, and when they rolled out FP+, we had to completely adapt to something new. I don't mind it so much now, but I don't like the way they set it up.
    It increases their profit in a few ways. Primarily, it allows them to control labor costs by knowing in advance how busy particular attractions are going to be and scheduling employees hours accordingly. They also were able to reduce costs by removing the paper fastpass machines which required regular maintenance and plus they no longer have to buy the paper. Who knows how many rolls of paper they went through a day in all of those machines. Another thing FP+ does, is it sends people moving about all over the park going between their scheduled times resulting in them passing all of the merchandising along with refreshment and snack vendors. They sell more stuff because you are running about all over the park in an unorderly fashion. FP+ is all about business operational efficiency and consumer spending......not customer enjoyment as they try to spin it. It makes me want to smack a PR person every time I hear the "FP+ allows guest to be more spontaneous." It could not be any farther from creating spontaneity, it is actually completely opposite creating rigidity.

12. Thanks PopPhan thanked for this post
    Likes dnickels, PopPhan, NewDVCowner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Careful, 1DisneyNut, using logic and facts is dangerous!!!!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

14. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bdm@pga View Post
    NO, I get it....and I understand the process and the reason for the forums. I too want to know if something isn't good, or not worth my time. But What I was trying to highlight was not the constructive criticism, or the comparisons of old to new. It was some of the posts that are just, in my opinion, down right nasty. I guess it is my vision of the house of mouse through rose colored glasses.

Again, I too have some really bad experiences that I can share. I guess I am the type of person that just appreciates what INTERCOT does for us and what a great tool it has become for me. When I see a question about something I have had a bad experience with, I want to voice my option as well, but in a way that could be understood and appreciated, rather than bark "not worth the money!" and leave it at that.

I am a High School teacher, and even if your not, I am sure we have all had those people who when given a new idea or concept are the first ones to just comment negatively..."Doin it this way for 30 years, ain't gonna change now!...Tried that before and it was terrible.."...you all know those types. I would rather hear why it failed, and then decide for myself to try it or not. Anyway, I guess I just was loving in fantasyland...But I appreciate all of your responses and for the taking the time to give your explanations.
    I think the thing that some of us have to remember is that we can do a better job of reading the intent behind original posts. If someone is coming on the boards, excited about an upcoming trip and wanting to share that excitement, then they don't need to inundated with negative replies. Something truly helpful, a heads up--yes. But I'll admit some people seem to relish the nay-saying. I'm reminded of something that happened back when I was pregnant with my son (26 years ago!) I was the acting Nurse Manager on an Oncology Unit and one day I was in the elevator with one of the (older) nursing students taking care of patients on my floor. She asked me if this was going to be my first child and when I enthusiastically said yes, she replied with "Well, I am a mother of four and I don't envy you one little bit! You will get no peace and quiet for the next 20 years!" I was so taken aback I didn't know how to respond. Was it her personal experience? For sure. Was it necessary for her to share it in that moment? Of course not! The only person it served was herself and whatever issues she was having/had with her kids and needed to vent. But as an expectant mom, it certainly cast a bit of a pall on the moment.

Back to INTERCOT. Now for the threads that are started strictly for criticism and/or feedback, I would advise the folks that are offended by that to pass those threads by. No need to drag down your mood that way. Just my opinion.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

It allows them the pack more people in the park by artificially spreading people out.

17. Likes texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

People love to complain and be negative. Social media made it easy for them to complain. My opinion life is way to short for that ****.
    POR 04/2018
    CB - 01/2018
    Contemporary - 12/2017
    Poly - 06/2017
    GF - 08/2009
    BW - 07/2008
    Contemporary - 11/2007
    Poly - 02/2007
    POR - 12/2004
    Contemporary - 12/2003
    Dixie Landing - 12/2002, 12/2001 8/2000
    Contemporary - 12/1999
    Dixie Landing - 5/1998, 5/1997

19. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    It allows them the pack more people in the park by artificially spreading people out.
    I don't think that's the case. It does indeed spread people out, but once people are in the park, regardless of where they are, that doesn't increase revenue. The only thing that increases revenue is getting more people into the park in the first place, and FP+ isn't responsible for that. It's strictly for crowd management. For example, if the Magic Kingdom can hold 120K people, it doesn't necessarily matter how they are grouped or spread out. 120K is a 120K, regardless of whether or not they're all trying to ride Peter Pan at the same time or not. The fire code max occupancy for a park is not affected one whit by WDW using FP+. And occupancy is what increases revenue. So, the Fantasyland expansion allowed WDW to increase that max occupancy, which translated to more revenue. THAT I understood. New attractions that people want to experience (like the Frozen ride), drives increases in revenue. But FP+? It just spreads you out when you come, and makes it frustrating to plan.

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall in those development meetings.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that's the case. It does indeed spread people out, but once people are in the park, regardless of where they are, that doesn't increase revenue. The only thing that increases revenue is getting more people into the park in the first place, and FP+ isn't responsible for that. It's strictly for crowd management. For example, if the Magic Kingdom can hold 120K people, it doesn't necessarily matter how they are grouped or spread out. 120K is a 120K, regardless of whether or not they're all trying to ride Peter Pan at the same time or not. The fire code max occupancy for a park is not affected one whit by WDW using FP+. And occupancy is what increases revenue. So, the Fantasyland expansion allowed WDW to increase that max occupancy, which translated to more revenue. THAT I understood. New attractions that people want to experience (like the Frozen ride), drives increases in revenue. But FP+? It just spreads you out when you come, and makes it frustrating to plan.

I think its a perspective thing. Firecode is firecode. But if you spread the peas around the plate, they might think there are fewer peas. That could have attraction to park goers, duration of trip or duration of day, traffic management around stores/eateries. Maximize spending.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I think just tweaking the fastpass plus system would make people so much happier. Get rid of the ability to get fastpasses in advance (although I can see Disney using this as a money maker - offering it as a perk for staying on site). Change it to be more like Disneyland. Once you arrive in the park, you can make your fastpasses on the phone. Using my phone was infinitely more convenient than running from kiosk to kiosk.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

23. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I think just tweaking the fastpass plus system would make people so much happier. Get rid of the ability to get fastpasses in advance (although I can see Disney using this as a money maker - offering it as a perk for staying on site). Change it to be more like Disneyland. Once you arrive in the park, you can make your fastpasses on the phone. Using my phone was infinitely more convenient than running from kiosk to kiosk.
    This. The advance scheduling of FP is only for Disney's benefit. Doing this eliminates a lot of people's main legacy FP main complaint- running across the park to get FPs.

Post Thanks / Like

You would be assuming that max capacity is reached every day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RunDMV View Post
    You would be assuming that max capacity is reached every day.
    No, I'm just assuming that way to increase revenue is by bringing more people in to the parks, and the FP+ system doesn't accomplish that. And while I agree that it spreads people around more, I think that the idea that this makes people spend more money in stores along way is not provable, and is not the reason for the system.

If you were in one of their meetings, and someone asked the question, "how can we make people spend more money in the shops?", the answer is not going to be, "Let's revamp the FastPass system and make them plan their rides 60 days in advance! That'll drive up revenue in The Emporium and Sir Mickey's!"

I totally agree that I want to smack the PR people who tried to sell it as allowing for "more spontaneity", when it really does the opposite.
    DL - 1996, 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Sure!! Send your name address and a blank check and we can get a case (or two) sent out to you!!!

Might be able to get case lot discounts at Chocolate World!!

https://www.hersheysstore.com/HERSHE...Brand@Hersheys
    Did you ever make that chocolate connection?
    Beth & David

28. Likes texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I may be a minority of one but I actually have come to believe that FP+ reduces the stress. We will be arriving in 12 days and, at the 60 day mark, my FP's were set. I know which parks I'll be in on which days and I don't have to worry about rushing to get the FP's I want once I enter the parks. Yes, at the 60 day mark, I was on my computer at 7 a.m. trying to get all the FP's I wanted and, in the days prior, I had to plan out those FP's and plan out which parks/which days but now? I can check in, catch a bus and know where I'll be at what time. In between FP's, I can eat, ride other rides, etc. But I'm stress free.
    Betsy

30. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyELG View Post
    I may be a minority of one but I actually have come to believe that FP+ reduces the stress. We will be arriving in 12 days and, at the 60 day mark, my FP's were set. I know which parks I'll be in on which days and I don't have to worry about rushing to get the FP's I want once I enter the parks. Yes, at the 60 day mark, I was on my computer at 7 a.m. trying to get all the FP's I wanted and, in the days prior, I had to plan out those FP's and plan out which parks/which days but now? I can check in, catch a bus and know where I'll be at what time. In between FP's, I can eat, ride other rides, etc. But I'm stress free.
    Welcome to Intercot! We don't mind FP+ but would prefer if we could chose closer. As we get older (the kids too) we find we want some more flexibility in our Disney Days. If it's something new and a definite must do then we will show up. Otherwise we generally don't mind missing our FP+ if we are doing something else in another park or land. Generally we've been pleased with our ability to change, edit and add FP+ while onsite.

Beth & David

32. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Now here we find ourselves with the FP+ system where you have to plan almost every detail months in advance. .
    Have you all of your restroom visits planned? I don't recall if those require a fp or not.

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    Welcome to Intercot! We don't mind FP+ but would prefer if we could chose closer. As we get older (the kids too) we find we want some more flexibility in our Disney Days. If it's something new and a definite must do then we will show up. Otherwise we generally don't mind missing our FP+ if we are doing something else in another park or land. Generally we've been pleased with our ability to change, edit and add FP+ while onsite.

Amen!
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings