Quantcast Curious about FastPass strategies

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Curious about FastPass strategies

I'm curious about your FastPass strategies.

Do you like to power through all the standby lines first thing in the morning and save your FastPasses for mid-day when wait times are longer?

or

Do you schedule your FastPasses all before noon so you can start adding more FastPasses (one by one) once you've used up your first three?

or

Is there another strategy you like?

Please share! Thanks!
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The tiers have taken away some of the strategy of the prior system, but both of the strategies you list above are valid ones.

I've tended to try to do a combination of both. Do stand-by in the morning when crowds tend to be less, then pick three back-to-back-back in early afternoon to get to the rolling fourth selection by at least late afternoon.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

4. Thanks iheartdisney thanked for this post
    Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i'm going next month and am doing mainly mornings, with the hope of getting Fast Passes later in the day. It has changed my overall vacation strategy somewhat - we used to do full days, with days "off" in between, but now we are doing more half days. I'm hitting Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom twice each to make sure I can do all the essentials with fastpasses.

6. Thanks iheartdisney thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We always do mornings so we can add to them once they are used. We are not rope drop people, so it does help to have them scheduled starting when we arrive around 10ish.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

8. Thanks iheartdisney thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We usually do stand-by for the first couple of hours that the park is open, and then schedule our FP late-morning/early afternoon.

Although, we've also enjoyed the freedom of doing something else in the morning, and love arriving at the park in the afternoon with our three favourite attractions all queued and ready to go.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

10. Thanks iheartdisney thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have heard chatter about (but have not had the opportunity to try) a strategy, that involves constantly checking the MDE app to try and get earlier FP times. For example if your first FP is at 11 and it is currently 10:15, going into the app and trying to find FPs for 10:20. I hear mixed reviews, some people say it works great and they are getting 6 or 7 fastpasses in a day, others are saying they felt like all they did was look at their phone and didn't feel like they got any value out of it.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

12. Thanks iheartdisney thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1998 View Post
    I have heard chatter about (but have not had the opportunity to try) a strategy, that involves constantly checking the MDE app to try and get earlier FP times. For example if your first FP is at 11 and it is currently 10:15, going into the app and trying to find FPs for 10:20. I hear mixed reviews, some people say it works great and they are getting 6 or 7 fastpasses in a day, others are saying they felt like all they did was look at their phone and didn't feel like they got any value out of it.
    I am a firm believer in constantly checking for earlier FastPasses. It's true that you are constantly looking down at your phone (usually while I am in my current FastPass line) perfecting your next FastPass, but I often have a FP waiting for me before I even load onto the attraction of my current FP. It stinks to have to use my phone so much, but it is VERY effective at keeping your FastPasses close together. I have had entire evening/nights where I rode nothing standby.

I have successfully secured 12 FastPasses each in one day for my party of 4 at MK, and have on many other occasions used 6-8 FastPasses in a day, including days with 2 day-of FastPasses for Frozen and 3 for Soarin'.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

14. Thanks iheartdisney thanked for this post
    Likes Isabella liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1998 View Post
    This is the strategy we use. Yes I use my phone more than I did before FP+, but I don't obsess about it and I certainly don't stay glued to my phone all day.

Let's just say I have a 10:00 FP for RNRC and an 11:00 FP for ToT. As soon as I scan my 10 RNRC, I jump on the app and try to move ToT up as close as possible. If lucky I can move ToT up to a 10:20 slot and go straight there when we exit RNRC. Then at ToT I do the same thing for my next FP once I scan ToT. I do the same thing for all other FPs. As soon as we scan one we pick up the next. It usually doesn't take more than a few minutes because I'll only hit refresh a few times. Definitely not going to spend all my time refreshing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But we have had luck with this method more often than not.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

16. Thanks iheartdisney thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I get them when I can, preferably earlier the better as long as the distance fits. I'm not sprinting through wdw. I modify my trip plan as needed. I miss the old way. : (
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

18. Thanks iheartdisney thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. The strategy of always checking for earlier FPs is very intriguing! We need to try this!

And I'm with Texas211, I really miss the old way!
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

At times I miss the old way as well. What I don't miss is having to backtrack all over the park. You had to go to the attraction to get the FP then back when it was time to ride.

I also like that we can now choose to go into a park later in the day and have our must dos secured. The old way pretty much meant not getting FP for the main attractions if you came into the park later, the good ones would all be gone for the day already. Since we are not morning (rope drop) people, this new way works well for us when we know we will want to sleep in.

Both ways have their advantages and disadvantages, depending on how going out the parks.
    Denise

21. Thanks iheartdisney thanked for this post
    Likes iheartdisney liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: