Quantcast New Digital Room Key Roll Out Walt Disney World: Updated 8/21/18

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation New Digital Room Key Roll Out Walt Disney World: Updated 8/21/18

8/21/18

Walt Disney World has quietly rolled out the "Digital Room Key" feature to all owned and operated hotels. For the foreseeable future, the Digital Room Key appears to be an option to the Magic Band for Resort Room Entry as both use the same "Mickey Icon" door lock.

4/2/18

Walt Disney World has announced a new "Digital Room Key" feature to roll out for Bluetooth Enabled Devices using the MyDisneyExpereince App:

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Parks & Resorts

... Coming soon to Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, a new feature in the My Disney Experience app will allow guests to quickly unlock their hotel room using a digital key on their mobile devices, providing them with another seamless room entry option that brings added ease and flexibility to their experience.

Guests can also use their digital key to unlock the hotel entrance gate and common area doors requiring a key, which may include pools, fitness centers, elevators and club level lounges. Arriving travel parties that have checked in online may even use their digital key to bypass the need to visit the front desk, giving them the opportunity to go directly to their room when it is ready and start their vacation even faster.

The feature represents the latest evolution of keyless room entry, which we began offering with the MagicBand, the unique all-in-one device that effortlessly connects the vacation choices guests make in My Disney Experience. Guests may use either or both options to enter their room during their stay.

So how does it work? To use their digital key, guests can opt in and activate the feature on their check-in day through a brief set up process in the app. To enter their room, guests tap the “Unlock Door” button and then simply hold their phone against the door lock.

... Bluetooth®-enabled mobile devices with the latest version of the My Disney Experience app are required to take advantage of a digital key for room entry. And don’t forget to wear your MagicBand for all other uses including park entry, FastPass+ redemption, room charges and more.

The new feature is expected to be rolled-out in phases to other Walt Disney World resort hotels, much like the MagicBand Access Points were initially.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2. Thanks Jeff thanked for this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ll stick with my magic band for now.

Im all about tech, but there is something about this I’m not liking.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

5. Likes VWL Mom, eam liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why would I pull out my phone when the magic band will do all this?

7. Thanks eam thanked for this post
    Likes VWL Mom, PopPhan, Isabella liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I could see this as a convenience for those with an IWatch (in place of a magic band) but not for a phone.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

“Here You Leave Today And Enter The World Of Yesterday, Tomorrow And Fantasy”

I would like to go back to Yesterday. I don't like having to use my phone for everything, and generally leave it in the room on days we go to the park. I do bring a burner flip phone w/ me, for emergency calls, but don't want to bring around my expensive phone that has me constantly linked in to work. I dont see why have this and magic bands, unless its for us that hate wearing the MB? I hope it works better than onstar.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

10. Likes magicofdisney liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm another one who just doesn't get the need for this? Maybe they are planning to get away from the Magic Bands, and have you do everything on your phone?
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner
    Why would I pull out my phone when the magic band will do all this?
    Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic
    I'm another one who just doesn't get the need for this? Maybe they are planning to get away from the Magic Bands, and have you do everything on your phone?
    Personally, could only see added convenience for Guests staying at Walt Disney World, but taking a day to go to Universal, spending a day at Disney Springs, or elsewhere outside the parks.

I can attest that it was a little annoying to have to carry a MagicBand around when going to Universal for a day and having no other use than a bulky room key.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    Personally, could only see added convenience for Guests staying at Walt Disney World, but taking a day to go to Universal, spending a day at Disney Springs, or elsewhere outside the parks.

I can attest that it was a little annoying to have to carry a MagicBand around when going to Universal for a day and having no other use than a bulky room key.
    I can see your point with this, but maybe it would be time to get one of those 'key fob' type keepers for the MB2 insert. In any event, I can see this as a possible test for other phone/MDE functionality, or possibly some new (upcoming) in-park experiences.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    I can see your point with this, but maybe it would be time to get one of those 'key fob' type keepers for the MB2 insert. In any event, I can see this as a possible test for other phone/MDE functionality, or possibly some new (upcoming) in-park experiences.
    We have some of the room key/ticket cards with the chip in them that we got in place of magic bands a couple of years ago when we went for a special event. They are the "tickets" you get from vendors like The Official Ticket Center and such. They work just like magic bands and I keep one in my wallet. You can use them to get into your room instead of having to lug around a magic band. I'm not too wild about wearing the magic bands so I just use the card sometimes.

As for this digital room key they are rolling out, considering we still have problems with things disappearing or not functioning properly on the app, I would never rely on this to get me back in the room. On a side note, Hilton has had digital room key on their app for a couple of years now and it is so unreliable I don't even try to use it anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

What happens at the end of the day when your phones battery is dead?
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

16. Likes NewDVCowner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't worn a band for over a year. There are other options for the band's disc. Band discomfort and bulk shouldn't be an issue anymore.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Seems funny that they spent all this money on developing magic bands, making them available for customization and purchase, and then suddenly they're starting to abandon that for people's phones.
    I like the magic band. I don't wanna have to wrestle with the MDE app to bring it up and get it to open my door. Plus, half the time my phone battery is dead by the time I get back to my room!
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

19. Likes Isabella liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hilton has this - and I don't really like it. It's a bigger pain getting out my phone, navigating to the app, going to the unlock screen and pressing unlock than tapping a key that I pull out of my back pocket is!
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting in the promo video - no one has a magic band on? Maybe a precursor to using the phone and not needing a magic band down the road?
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    We have some of the room key/ticket cards with the chip in them that we got in place of magic bands a couple of years ago when we went for a special event. They are the "tickets" you get from vendors like The Official Ticket Center and such. They work just like magic bands and I keep one in my wallet. You can use them to get into your room instead of having to lug around a magic band. I'm not too wild about wearing the magic bands so I just use the card sometimes.
    I never even thought of that, I wonder if my AP will work? I'll have to give it a try. Thx
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they are shooting for giving the guests several options... instead of a single solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Hilton has this - and I don't really like it. It's a bigger pain getting out my phone, navigating to the app, going to the unlock screen and pressing unlock than tapping a key that I pull out of my back pocket is!
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Interesting in the promo video - no one has a magic band on? Maybe a precursor to using the phone and not needing a magic band down the road?
    What happens to all the Luddites out there who do not have, and refuse to get, smart phones? And possibly foreign visitors who would have to pay out the wahzoo for data to use this app (as well as the MDE app)???

I guess you can't fault them for trying, but I'm not getting a warm, fuzzy feeling about this one.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

nope too much trouble. I see no advantage to this. I would rather stick to my magic band. I just hope they don't get rid of magic band's and force us to use this to open the door. I mean my phone is my personal device. Why should I have to use it for my hotel. SOOOOO since I have to pay to use there parking lot for my room which I paid them for can I charge them to make me use my phone to open the door.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what great attraction they could have built with all the money they will waste on this 'guest enhancement'.

This might not be too expensive for them to incorporate, but the cynic in me thinks they have figured out that this will be an even better way to separate people from their money and/or track guest habits.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

**Update**

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: