Quantcast FP vs Stand-by

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FP vs Stand-by

Post Thanks / Like

Cool FP vs Stand-by

It seems like as little as three years ago, a FP meant you had little to no wait for the attraction you had one to. Here’s an example of how it was this past Wednesday, March 21st:

FP for Soarin’ at 4:30 pm. Arrived and checked in to gate promptly as clock turned to 4:30.

Arrived at end of line which was halfway down the middle ramp at 4:31.

Made it to second check in at 4:58. Directed down Concourse B.

Online for ride and watching Patrick at 5:17.

Thank goodness I didn’t have to wait in the 60 minute stand-by line!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

What you don't say is how long the actual Stand-By line took to get on the ride. Just because it was listed at 60 minutes does not mean that was the actual time stand-by riders had to wait. I get that the number of FP+ options are too great (especially if one of the 3 'theaters' is closed) but the time you gave has little meaning without a reference from the (an) other perspective of someone who actually stood in the stand-by line and clocked it.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    What you don't say is how long the actual Stand-By line took to get on the ride. Just because it was listed at 60 minutes does not mean that was the actual time stand-by riders had to wait. I get that the number of FP+ options are too great (especially if one of the 3 'theaters' is closed) but the time you gave has little meaning without a reference from the (an) other perspective of someone who actually stood in the stand-by line and clocked it.
    Made perfect sense to me. FP in this case was 45 + minutes....not fast.

FP+ main purpose is to pack as many people in the park as possible by artificially spreading them out. It has nothing to do with the guest experience.

5. Thanks MattHolst thanked for this post
    Likes MattHolst liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    Made perfect sense to me. FP in this case was 45 + minutes....not fast.

FP+ main purpose is to pack as many people in the park as possible by artificially spreading them out. It has nothing to do with the guest experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I think the point was, Fastpass+ is not an appropriate name.

Slightly less slow/long would be better, but not as catchy. We'd have Slightly_less_slow apps on our phones. Harder to fit on the signs. They should consult the DMV.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

8. Thanks MattHolst thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ugh - I'm soo confused what is the difference between FP and FP+ --- and what is stand-by? Since the kids have grown - I'm not up to date on all the new FP's and such - we are heading down in a few weeks but it's just me and my husband - so I'm trying to get got up on all the new things in a very short amount of time.
    08/07 Ft. Wilderness Cabins (WAHOO!)
    10/06 All Stars Music (me & dd)
    6/06 POFQ
    6/05 Ft. Wilderness Cabins
    1/05 Offsite and Ft. Wilderness Cabins
    8/03 Offsite
    3/02 Offsite
    9/99 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

To add to the OP's analogy... A few weeks before the flood of Spring Breakers, we had a FP for Space Mountain. The END of the FP line extended past Astro Orbiters. Standby was in the ride building.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

11. Thanks MattHolst thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That was another one we encountered and at Space Mountain as well. We walked up and the FP line was out to almost the Astro Orbiters and the Stand by line was inside the building. We didn’t even use the FP and just went to see Philamagic instead. That’s my whole point for the thread. You never used to see this a few years ago in FP. I’m curious how their new system for paid Fast Passes will impact the current system.

Post Thanks / Like

You should keep in mind that just because the FastPass line is backed out of the door does NOT mean the actual line (and wait time) is longer. The standby line by design weaves around the interior of building and holds lots more people than the FastPass line which usually is a short straight line that with just a small bump in people redeeming their FastPass at the same time will give the appearance of a long line, but it's an illusion, the bulk of the people in the standby line are hidden.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

14. Likes Speedy1998 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dizne4me View Post
    Ugh - I'm soo confused what is the difference between FP and FP+ --- and what is stand-by? Since the kids have grown - I'm not up to date on all the new FP's and such - we are heading down in a few weeks but it's just me and my husband - so I'm trying to get got up on all the new things in a very short amount of time.
    Fastpass + replaced the original fastpass system so the original fastpass system no longer exists. With fastpass +, you can book a time slot in which to enter the fastpass line at certain attractions. You can make this booking 60 days before arrival if you have the My Disney Experience app, are staying at a qualifying resort, have already purchased your tickets, and have linked your hotel reservation and tickets to the app. If you are not staying at a qualifying resort, you can book ride reservations 30 days in advance if you have purchased your tickets and linked them to your app. You can only book 3 fastpass reservations on any given day; all three need to be at the same park; and, at some parks, the rides are tiered so you can only select one ride from tier 1 and 2 from the other tier. Once all 3 fastpasses are used, you can book an additional fastpass at the same park, or a different park, if any are available. Any rides that offer the fastpass reservation system have at least two lines - one line for those with fastpass reservations and another line for those without fastpass reservations also known as the standby line. Some rides have a third line for single riders so anyone if this line will be paired with someone they don't know for the ride. For example, if a ride seats two persons to a seat and a party of three is in line for the ride, Disney will add a 4th person from the single rider line to fill that empty seat with the party of 3. Single rider lines are typically present at the thrill rides. Hope this helps!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

16. Thanks PopPhan thanked for this post
    Likes PopPhan, Isabella liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    You should keep in mind that just because the FastPass line is backed out of the door does NOT mean the actual line (and wait time) is longer. The standby line by design weaves around the interior of building and holds lots more people than the FastPass line which usually is a short straight line that with just a small bump in people redeeming their FastPass at the same time will give the appearance of a long line, but it's an illusion, the bulk of the people in the standby line are hidden.
    But is that the case for Space Mountain? Aren't those lines side-by-side?
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the

If You Can Read This...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    You know, that is an excellent question, and I am unable to recall ever riding Space Mountain standby! But walking through it in my mind, and a quick Google of pictures and videos, I am not sure that I see any point where the standby line branches away from the FP line...

Hum......
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for explaining that for me -- it helps considerably.
    08/07 Ft. Wilderness Cabins (WAHOO!)
    10/06 All Stars Music (me & dd)
    6/06 POFQ
    6/05 Ft. Wilderness Cabins
    1/05 Offsite and Ft. Wilderness Cabins
    8/03 Offsite
    3/02 Offsite
    9/99 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

When you exit the tunnel where the load platform is, on the left hand side there is a queue that doubles back on itself several times before it heads back to the merge point with the FP line.

Also remember that when FP is backed up people in the standby line essentially stand there and watch all the FP people get waved into the final queue beyond the merge point.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1998 View Post
    When you exit the tunnel where the load platform is, on the left hand side there is a queue that doubles back on itself several times before it heads back to the merge point with the FP line.
    However, that same ability is on the right side. Why not double up in the building instead of allowing the line to asininely extend on the outside? Unless, of course it already was doubled up inside. I wouldn't know because I chose to NOT ride at that point.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the

If You Can Read This...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1998 View Post
    Also remember that when FP is backed up people in the standby line essentially stand there and watch all the FP people get waved into the final queue beyond the merge point.
    My son did choose to ride using the stand-by line vs using his FP. His merge with FP was still quicker. Using simple numbers, let's say FP had 100 people in line. His merge point using stand-by was approximately the 50 person mark of FP.

Perhaps that was just an off day. Nevertheless, it's not the first time I've seen that scenario at that ride.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the

If You Can Read This...

Post Thanks / Like

FP+ is like an extended warranty. Can help, but might not.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

However, that same ability is on the right side. Why not double up in the building instead of allowing the line to asininely extend on the outside? Unless, of course it already was doubled up inside. I wouldn't know because I chose to NOT ride at that point.
    I haven't seen them use the queue on the right side since they introduced the Fastpass system. I only go once a year so maybe I have just been extremely lucky, but I also usually go at Spring Break or Thanksgiving.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how accurate "Touring Plans" is, but I was using it to optimize my plan order - and it shows a 51 minute wait at Flights of Passage even WITH my fastpass. Does that seem right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    I don't know how accurate "Touring Plans" is, but I was using it to optimize my plan order - and it shows a 51 minute wait at Flights of Passage even WITH my fastpass. Does that seem right?
    Seems optimistic.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings