Quantcast Charging Resort Guests for Overnight Parking - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    Thanks Steve, for a minute there I thought I was crazy. So these visitors/day guests from the DS hotels that are sharing in EMH and FP perks now will get free parking???? I thought part of the problem was day guest parking at resorts with park access and leaving their cars for the day which crowded the lots. So the solution is to penalize the resort guests. seriously?

To clarify, my sense of annoyance is not directed at those that stay at DS but rather at Disney's decisions lately of making the resort guest's stay anything but magical. If I had a crystal ball I would predict they will be converting more hotel rooms to DVC and making deals with the DS hotels for a revenue stream without the added responsibilities.
    Lynn,

I don't read it as day visitors get free parking at the parks, but they can park for free at the resorts of they're there to eat or shop. I suspect the 3 hour time limit is still in effect, but again, how do you monitor and enforce this? Its always been pretty loose. I know when my son worked for WDW, he and his friends would routinely try to park at the MK resorts. They said they were able to do so about 50% of the time.

This just seems like someone made a "look! We can make extra money" decision without anyone actually thinking it through.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Now stand by for the "free parking for your stay" promotions to come in. A way for them to create a promotional discount out of thin air.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney as an insurance company?

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    Now stand by for the "free parking for your stay" promotions to come in. A way for them to create a promotional discount out of thin air.
    I am minded of those car insurance and cable/telco companies that in general never go with their "standard" rates.
    There is a discount for this or a discount for that and a third for being a new customer.

Later on though, they are not raising your rates. Oh-No, but so sorry, that particular discount has expired.

Post Thanks / Like

What I don't like,over and above the parking charge, is the difference in the parking prices. Are the parking spaces bigger and better at a deluxe resort?!
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

6. Thanks RunDMV thanked for this post
    Likes Lindsey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

......WDW Resort's On-Site "Perks" ....are slowly ....or ....maybe not so slowly .....swirling down the porcelain convenience.

.....this is a disgrace of immense proportions. I have seen persons semi-defending WDW on the basis of, "I've stayed at hotels and have paid upwards of $25 / night for parking". WHERE? Manhattan? I've NEVER paid one thin dime to stay at a hotel ......anywhere.

.....I'm already booked (as of last August's trip to WDW on a bounce-back offer) for a stay at POP in September. But to be honest ...our last stay at POP was not 'magical' in any way (terrible room conditions, equally terrible housekeeping .....which was non-existent for the first 3 days, severely truncated pool hours / availability ....all of which was expressed to management...and they agreed... and comped us 3 free days of a hotel stay)

.....but ...had I not already been booked...this would have pushed me over the edge and prompted a cancellation of the trip. I'd absolutely refuse to shell out another $150 bucks just to park my car for my stay ....particularly after driving 1150 miles to get there.

.....seriously, what are these charges going for? Lot maintenance?
    These are not high impact / high volume parking lots with exorbitant levels of wear & tear. If they choose to rely on the explanation that "Other resorts charge for parking (so we shall too from now on) ....then they (WDW) by default ......have just lumped themselves in with "every other resort" ...and therefore no longer are a head above others and deserving of the undying loyalty that repeat visitors / patrons exhibit.

....the "just because we can" mentality of WDW executives can ....and will back-fire.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

8. Likes Tekneek, The Hitchhiking Ghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps they'll enforce it the way airports enforce paid parking. They'll certainly be able to afford new security gates.

Now that I think about it, this may also be their way of paying for all the new road construction.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

The thing about enforcement is that they're going to have to enforce two different classes of visitors each with different rules. At the Swolphin, everyone pays to park. Either daily, and you get a key card, or hourly and you pay at the gate with a credit card when you leave. But Disney is trying to make resort guests pay (so some sort of monitoring/access required) while at the same time and in the same lot, let the day visitors park for free. So the guard is going to give the day visitor a key card to get into the lot? Separate lots? And BTW, they just got rid of the parking passes at most of the resorts as they were "unnecessary".

Without some serious reconfiguration of the parking lots and resort entrances, I see this being a huge headache for the resorts as well as the guests. Its so unnecessary.

And having your car towed, even if the tow truck looks like Mater, isn't very magical.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

The Greediest Place on Earth. I sent an email SEETHING with rage to Disney. Everyone should. Just like the recent decision by United Airlines to turn the employee incentive program into a lottery, the backlash can kill it.

Post Thanks / Like

This is ridiculous. Already paying higher rides for hotels, even values are actually on the higher end for similar type accommodations. Additional " resort fees", options to opt out or pay for housekeeping, more and more piled on. How about spending far, far less on overseas parks (technically not even Disney owned ) and save a few dollars here. I'm a stock holder, I will be expressing my thoughts on this. May be time to switch to Universal.

Post Thanks / Like

The fee for guests or day visits will come next year....

I wonder how much they'll charge for driving on the roads to the parking lot? New tolls coming.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    Lynn,

I don't read it as day visitors get free parking at the parks, but they can park for free at the resorts of they're there to eat or shop. I suspect the 3 hour time limit is still in effect, but again, how do you monitor and enforce this? Its always been pretty loose.
    Steve
    Right, I was referring to those day guests/visitors that park at the resorts and then walk/monorail to the closest park. Staying at BLT or VGF we've seen it often, nobody checks. BLT went so far as to post signs that no one paid attention to.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

15. Likes Fangorn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Walt Disney World Self-Parking Policy has now been amended as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney World Resort

Resort Hotels

Registered Guests:

Overnight Self-Parking

Effective for reservations made March 21, 2018 and thereafter, standard overnight self-parking is available to registered Guests for a fee that will be applied to their hotel folio upon check-out. All parking fees include applicable tax.

Standard Overnight Parking charges per Resort Category:

-Disney Value Resorts: $13 per night
    -Disney Moderate Resorts: $19 per night
    -Disney Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $24 per night

Complimentary standard parking is available to Guests staying at the Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort. Each campsite provides parking space for one (1) motorized vehicle.

Valet Parking
    Valet Parking is available at select Disney Deluxe Resorts and Disney Deluxe Villas for $33 per night (sales tax included).

Guests with Disabilities
    Designated parking areas are available throughout Walt Disney World Resort for Guests with disabilities. A valid disability parking permit is required.

Disney Vacation Club Members
    Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Day Guests
    Complimentary standard self-parking is available while enjoying select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at Disney Resort hotels.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Very disappointing. Extra fees are so aggravating. Is it wise to make your guests mad when they arrive? Not so happy at happiest place on Earth. More increasingly like greediest place on Earth. I'd rather be charged $10 more for a room --- at least it's not a hidden fee...

I read they claim they are just doing what other resorts do. At the last resort I was at (not Disney) where they did this, the reservation person said it made people so mad they were considering getting rid of it... it appears Disney is uninformed about how hated such fees are.

In my opinion...

Elliott

Post Thanks / Like

"Others are doing it" - my parents had a saying for this "if they jump off a cliff, are you going to do it too?"

I don't recall ever having to pay for parking when I stayed at a hotel. Even at Paradise Pier in Disneyland, you just drive on up into the parking garage. The gates are always open. No one stops you and asks for money.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

The real kicker with this is that most resort guests that do drive are not using DME, then shouldn't they be getting a room credit for that? Probably not, more likely the days of that perk are numbered.
    Last edited by VWL Mom; 03-15-2018 at 05:04 PM.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    And having your car towed, even if the tow truck looks like Mater, isn't very magical.

Steve

Wonder how much it is to get your car after being towed? Less than a week's worth of parking fees?

That will be the next increase...........

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

That and a new 'option' when pricing out a vacation on the site -- Vehicle On Site

So, you will do your vacation planning:

• Room Selection (Standard, Preferred, etc.)
    • Tickets
    • Options
      Park Hopper
      Water Parks
    • Vehicle
    • Dining
    • Insurance
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elliott View Post
    I read they claim they are just doing what other resorts do.
    The "norm for the industry" defense is really no defense at all. At least Disney is honest about it this time. For years they have been making changes that go against what they claim to be all about (a leader, setting new standards, etc), while denying that they are trying hard to be just like everybody else. I give them credit for admitting it....FINALLY.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiking Ghost View Post
    Just read a story from what normally is a reliable source, that WDW is planning on charging resort guests an add'l fee to park overnight at the resorts. The amounts and when it will begin was not announced.

If this is true, and again, source seemed reliable, this is a incredible money grab even for Disney. I can see charging guests, who are not staying at the resort, a fee if they want to dine or shop there, but it would be an outrage to charge a guest to park overnight at their resort, especially when many if not most have ample parking.

What next, take away the perk that resort guests don't have to pay for parking at the parks? We fly in and take ME to the resort, but we often rent a car for faster transportation. If we have to pay to park, I certainly wouldn't rent, which means they are putting more pressure on an already overused bus system.

Just makes me
    I am not sure how it will be done, but I can tell
    you that during Marathon weekend at Shades of
    Green, I forgot to register my running partner’s
    car, since she was only there one night prior to
    running the 10K. The next day her car had an
    orange sticker (large!) - on it saying she had
    parked their illegally. We are still trying to figure
    out how they check each car in their parking garage.
    It was a chore getting the sticker off BTW.
    Ali's Mom
    Senior Imagineer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    So now, as a driving guest, I still have to pay for MDE service that I don't use, and on top of that I have to pay to park my car. I literally just booked my expected next trip in order to beat the deadline, and this may be my final trip onsite, if not my final trip period (and I can confidently say that I have never uttered this statement before!). I am livid.

And everything Fangorn said hit it perfect, how in the <snipped myself> are they going to manage this? Does this spell the end of bypassing the front desk, aka direct to room, for drivers???

I think I will send my first ever complaint email to WDW Communications.
    As a guest who always drives this is exactly how I feel as well. I am paying for a service I have never used (DME), which I am certain is just hidden within the resort rates. And now I must pay to park my car which will likely never move. This one makes me pretty angry. Add the fact that visitors for dining or shopping (or parking at a resort to avoid paying parking fee at the parks) will be allowed free access to park at these resorts, and now I am growing furious.

I wonder if these resorts will guarantee parking to their overnight guests who must now pay this fee? Our first time staying at the Polynesian we came back to the resort after using our car to go to Downtown Disney and there were no empty parking spots. We drove around for at least 20 minutes, along with other cars, looking for empty spots or hoping we would catch someone leaving. Finally I got out of the car and went speak with someone at valet about the issue. The two solutions we were given were to park the car valet (and we would have to pay for it - it would not be free even given the parking lot issue) or to park our car at the TTC and walk or monorail over. I made sure that the CM was aware that we were guests staying at the Poly, not just there for dinner or shopping. I was furious that as a paying guest these were the options we were given. We ended up valeting the car because there wasn't much else we could do. I would be absolutely livid if these were the suggestions given by a CM while having to pay a $25 per night parking fee. We've also had trouble finding a spot as a visiting guest for dinner at Ohana's, and in that event we just valeted without questioning, but as a guest staying at any resort you should most definitely have access to a place to park at your resort without having to valet or park elsewhere and walk or monorail over.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: