Quantcast Updated 11/17/18: New Hotel Named for Former River Country Site

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Updated 11/17/18: New Hotel Named for Former River Country Site

11/17/18

The name for the hotel replacing River Country and the surrounding area was announced at today's Destination D 2018 event:

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Parks & Resorts
    During his presentation, Chapek unveiled details about Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge, a deluxe, nature-inspired resort coming to Orlando that will feature more than 900 hotel rooms and proposed Disney Vacation Club villas.

10/18/18

The Walt Disney World resort has confirmed that a new hotel will be built on the former River Country site and surrounding area:

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney World Press Release

Disney Announces Plans to Build Nature-Inspired Mixed-Use Resort on Bay Lake

Hotel and Proposed Disney Vacation Club Property, Three Other Previously Announced Resort Projects to Add More Than 1,700 New Hotel Rooms, Villas at Walt Disney World Resort

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla., Oct. 18, 2018 -- A new nature-inspired, mixed-use Disney resort will welcome families in 2022 along the picturesque shoreline of Bay Lake. Located between Disney's Wilderness Lodge and Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground, this resort project joins three others underway at Walt Disney World Resort, bringing a total of more than 1,700 new hotel rooms and proposed Disney Vacation Club villas online over the next four years.

Name:  DL.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  43.6 KB

The deluxe resort, which will be themed to complement its natural surroundings, will include more than 900 hotel rooms and proposed Disney Vacation Club villas spread across a variety of unique accommodation types.

"Walt Disney World is in the midst of our most significant expansion in the last two decades and the combined 1,700 new hotel rooms and proposed Disney Vacation Club villas we are building at four different resorts will create thousands of new construction and permanent jobs and will drive economic opportunity and incremental revenue for Central Florida," said George A. Kalogridis, president of Walt Disney World Resort. "We continue to add new attractions, new lands — and these beautiful accommodations will be right in the heart of all that magic."

The soon-to-be named resort is slated to be Disney's 16th Disney Vacation Club property and it will continue to build on the value and flexibility of a Disney Vacation Club membership.

"This resort experience will be a celebration of Walt Disney's lifelong love and respect for nature, with some fun and even surprising accommodation types that families will find irresistible," said Terri Schultz, senior vice president and general manager of Disney Vacation Club. "It will give our members and guests yet another opportunity to stay in close proximity to all the newest attractions and experiences in our theme parks, and with the flexibility, value and world-class service families expect from Disney."

Disney's Coronado Springs Resort will debut completely reimagined in 2019, featuring a new 15-story tower overlooking Lago Dorado, the resort's centerpiece lake. Offering an additional 545 new guest rooms and suites, the tower also includes a two-level entrance lobby, concierge lounge, new meeting spaces and more. Guests will also be able to enjoy rooftop dining at a specialty table-service restaurant with panoramic views. The existing 1,800 guest rooms have all been fully updated with new fixtures, furnishings and a color palette that ties the entire resort together.

Also currently under construction near Epcot and anticipated to open in 2019 is Disney's Riviera Resort, the 15th Disney Vacation Club property. With plans for approximately 300 units across a variety of accommodation types, this much-anticipated property will connect to Disney's Hollywood Studios and the International Gateway at Epcot via the Disney Skyliner. This new resort will be the first all-Disney Vacation Club property at Walt Disney World since Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa opened in 2004.

Seamlessly connected to Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at Disney's Hollywood Studios, an immersive Star Wars-inspired destination will also be built at Walt Disney World Resort. This first-of-its-kind resort will be a completely immersive experience into an authentic Star Wars story as guests depart together for a multiday adventure aboard their starship. Guests will interact with characters as they become active citizens of the galaxy, dressed in proper attire as stories unfold all around them.

These resort projects join a flurry of expansion at Walt Disney World Resort, including the highly successful Pandora – The World of Avatar at Disney's Animal Kingdom and the recent debut of Toy Story Land at Disney's Hollywood Studios. In early 2019, Walt Disney World will unveil a collection of shows, parties, Disney character interactions and more that will allow guests to cherish time with family and friends. And later in the year, guests will be able to travel to Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at Disney's Hollywood Studios, where they can live out their own adventures in a galaxy far, far away. Guests will realize now more than ever is the perfect time to experience all of the fun and magic of a Walt Disney World vacation.

10/16/18

The River Country/Backyard BBQ replacement may now have a name. Several Disney Vacation Club members have reported receiving a survey from InSites Consulting asking for their impressions on a new resort named "Disney Discovery Lodge". The survey describes the theme of the new resort as 'Refined Nature' and espouses that the potential resort will use 'steel, glass, and wood' in a way 'reminiscent of the beautifully crafted cabins found in nature' and that 'other well crafted details and refined materials' will reflect 'the organic forms of the outdoors'.

As in the past, a survey is not a certain indication of a future Disney project, but it is a potential indicator of a path they are likely considering.

9/2/18

With the recent indefinite closure of Mickey's Backyard BBQ, the potential construction project for the former River Country site appears to be gaining steam.

The leading rumour is that this is the beginning of preparations for the shelved "The Villas at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort". The resort was proposed in 2011 and went as far as having blue prints drawn up architecture firm GSB Inc.

The resort would be expected to be the next property after the under-construction Disney's Rivera Resort. With previous timeshare projects, the formal announcement of the project could lag the start of construction.

3/6/18

The Walt Disney World resort has filed Application #180305-371 to explore the suitability of land around the former River Country site:

Quote Originally Posted by Application #: 180305-371

Project Name:
    Project 89 Geotech Borings
    Project Acres: 0.5
    Landuse(s): Commercial And Services

The applicant is evaluating current conditions in Wetlands 7.1G, 7.1K and 7.22. Applicant requests the ability to permit temporary wetland impacts to allow for entry by sub-aqueous geotechnical drill rigs to collect data and assess the suitability of subsurface soils.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2737
Size:  75.8 KB
    For comparison, a current satellite image of the "Project 89" site is below:

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2723
Size:  47.5 KB
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2. Thanks Jeff, Isabella, MNNHFLTX thanked for this post
    Likes Isabella liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I was going to take a wild guess, I would say they are considering adding on to the wilderness lodge resort complex.

Post Thanks / Like

More DVC bungalows!!

"Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind" ("Signs" -- Five Man Electrical Band)
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Given the nature of this work, is doubtful that they have even any squishy plans, let alone firm ones for the site. The work being done would indicate that they're not sure what they could actually build on the site, and are wanting to determine what their options might actually be - is the site stable enough to build a 16-story tower or would they be much more limited in what they could build.

It is a prime piece of real estate. They could be looking way out and thinking about the next fully immersive experience after the Star Wars hotel, that sees a hotel on the River Country site and then using Discovery Island as a new, separate, playground/experience area (a la Westworld). Just a thought. I wouldn't expect anything for many years though.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

6. Likes Isabella liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post
    Given the nature of this work, is doubtful that they have even any squishy plans, let alone firm ones for the site. The work being done would indicate that they're not sure what they could actually build on the site, and are wanting to determine what their options might actually be - is the site stable enough to build a 16-story tower or would they be much more limited in what they could build.

It is a prime piece of real estate. They could be looking way out and thinking about the next fully immersive experience after the Star Wars hotel, that sees a hotel on the River Country site and then using Discovery Island as a new, separate, playground/experience area (a la Westworld). Just a thought. I wouldn't expect anything for many years though.

Steve
    Dagobah!!
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

8. Likes Cinderelley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Dagobah!!

Great. Now I have the Bad Lip Reading "Seagulls" song stuck in my head.
    "Run Run Run Jump.
    I can be your backpack while you run."
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

10. Likes texas211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Great. Now I have the Bad Lip Reading "Seagulls" song stuck in my head.
    "Run Run Run Jump.
    I can be your backpack while you run."
    You had to go there?!? Now it is stuck in my head too.
    "That is just poor show" -Cruella DeVil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleby View Post
    You had to go there?!? Now it is stuck in my head too.
    My mama always taught me that sharing is nice.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if it is to consider the DVC planned for the Fort Wilderness area that was leaked several years ago, but never built.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

So is this going to be some sort of "glamping" experience?
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    So is this going to be some sort of "glamping" experience?
    By all accounts, these will be villas...

I remember seeing, a few years ago, plans for this area... The resort area was designed to look like a horse... It was really well thought out... I did question how legit those blue prints, were, but they were from someone who had info before so...

But from then to know I am sure plans and designs have changed... I'm interested in seeing the concept for these rooms....
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    By all accounts, these will be villas...

I remember seeing, a few years ago, plans for this area... The resort area was designed to look like a horse... It was really well thought out... I did question how legit those blue prints, were, but they were from someone who had info before so...

But from then to know I am sure plans and designs have changed... I'm interested in seeing the concept for these rooms....
    Heck! Why not put villas out at the old Discovery Island too then? Make it a more exclusive, ultra quiet escape for visitors?
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

17. Likes PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

more DVC.....
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

**Update**

Post Thanks / Like

**Update**

Post Thanks / Like

Do I read that correctly? This resort will have both DVC and non-DVC rooms available? If so, that might be the first time they'll be building a new resort with that plan in mind. Interesting. Could be a really nice place. They really are expecting more and more people over the upcoming years - many additional rooms.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin
    Do I read that correctly? This resort will have both DVC and non-DVC rooms available?
    Yes, that is how I am reading it also.

It will also be interesting to see if it will be similar to their new resort at Disneyland Paris, Villages Nature Paris.

The description from the survey and parts of the announcement could indicate something similar on a smaller scale.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

so theres no problem building on this site w water etc. wonder how the sales rate is w DVC. have they sold all of the ones they have now
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

**Update**

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reflections a Disney Lakeside Resort

I'm sorry but the name makes it sound like a peaceful "resort" to get away for a mental health break. (What Disney does for us anyway). Once admitted, how does one get discharged? Is this the resort we have been waiting for?
    A dream is a wish your heart makes!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: