Quantcast Disney Vacation Cancellation UPDATE

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney Vacation Cancellation UPDATE

Horror story alert:
    I had to cancel my Disney World vacation back in January. Originally I paid with 2 $500.00 gift cards and after a long scuffle with them over the phone they refunded me with a $1,000 gift card to the Disney Store. To date, I've done everything to actually get a monetary value from this card.
    I can't sell it E-bay or Amazon because of a $500.00 gift card selling limit. I can't buy groceries with it. If I sell it on a gift card selling sight they only want to give me $700.00.
    I called Disney today and told them I did not originally give them a $1,000 gift card, I gave them 2 $500.00 gift cards and I should have been refunded accordingly. They tell me no refunds or transfers are allowed.
    All I want is what I gave them so I can get my money back. Nope. I'm screwed out of $1,000.
    The kicker here is the "Cast member" on the phone actually said to me, " You wouldn't want to spend your money at the Disney Store?" I told her, "I didn't cancel my vacation to buy stuffed mice and autograph books."
    So, lesson learned today. DO NOT PAY FOR YOUR VACATION WITH GIFT CARDS if you ever want your money back.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

So sorry you're going through this. Did they refund to a Disney gift card or a Disney Store gift card? If the later would you be able to buy (4) $250 gift cards with it? You might be able then to sell them on Ebay like you were looking to do.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

4. Likes CleveSJM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[email protected]
    send an email here
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

Post Thanks / Like

I would send them an email as retiredfigment suggested. Typically, the department that handles emails does a far better job of handling difficult situations. They can read your email and then get whoever that needs to be involved in the loop to help get the situation handled appropriately. When you call, they are typically just trying to hurry through and get to the next call.

The idea of going to the Disney store and buying smaller denominations of gift cards is a good idea to give a try and see if it is a work around.

It could be worse, when the recession hit back in 2008/2009, I had already paid for a trip but we weren't going to be able to make it happen because of too much craziness going on with business and such. I needed to cancel the vacation but they would not refund the money. They offered to let me reschedule to a later date within six months instead. I had to reschedule that vacation 6 months out at a time for over 2 years. lol The good news is, when we finally went in late 2011 we had a blast and it was almost like we went for free because it had been paid for years ago. So it all works out at some point. Maybe you should just keep the $1000 gift card and use it for your next trip whenever it comes up.

7. Likes CleveSJM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Were the original gift cards like generic Visa gift cards or Disney Cards? If Disney cards, then you did get back what you gave. Sounds like you can get $700 cash for the $1000 gift card. So you're only out $300. I like both recommendations above. Buy smaller gift cards or save it for a future trip.
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is outrageous that you should be out ANY money :-( This may be really naive of me, but since I haven't yet paid for my full trip in May, is there any safe (for both of us) way for me to buy this from you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    I think it is outrageous that you should be out ANY money :-( This may be really naive of me, but since I haven't yet paid for my full trip in May, is there any safe (for both of us) way for me to buy this from you?
    The safe way for both of you would be to pay for it through paypal as goods or services. The seller will be out the paypal transaction fees which is 2.9% of the payment plus a 30 cent service fee.
    So in this case the fees would be $29.00 plus the .30 service fee which is a total of $29.30. So the seller would receive $970.70.

Do not pay using the friends and family or gift payment through paypal to pay for items. There are no fees associated with it but you also do not get any buyer/seller protections. If you never receive the item, you are just out the money with no way to receive a refund.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    The safe way for both of you would be to pay for it through paypal as goods or services. The seller will be out the paypal transaction fees which is 2.9% of the payment plus a 30 cent service fee.
    So in this case the fees would be $29.00 plus the .30 service fee which is a total of $29.30. So the seller would receive $970.70.

Do not pay using the friends and family or gift payment through paypal to pay for items. There are no fees associated with it but you also do not get any buyer/seller protections. If you never receive the item, you are just out the money with no way to receive a refund.
    Well, Dewdrop - there you have it. I could buy it off you if you want? Unless you are just really enjoying doing battle with the dragon ;-)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: