Quantcast One day in AK.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: One day in AK.

Post Thanks / Like

Default One day in AK.

Sitting at home (in Tampa) yesterday morning waiting for the rain to come. For grins and giggles, I looked at a fast pass for FOP. What?!?!?! Two were available for 4:00 pm.

I told my wife to get dressed; we're going to AK. I made a FP for Primeval Whirl and Dinosaur on the drive over.

We got there around 11:30. The sky was looking kinda grey. Would the rain hold out? First stop, Flame Tree Bar B Cue. We split a pork sandwich with onion rings, then headed off in the park.

We got to EE. My wife told me to hit the single rider line while she went to the restroom. The wait said 30 minutes. I was on and through with the ride in less than 15 minutes. Odd note: even though I was in the SR line, the guy in front of me and I were put in the same car.

We headed over to Dinoland. The line for Dinosaur was 20 minutes so we decided to ride. We got on in about 10 minutes.

We headed over to Primeval Whirl. Our FP was still 30 minutes away but the lines was only 20 minutes, so we decided to hop on. The ride was going well then SLAM! We came to a crashing stop. We didn't move for about 5 minutes when an announcement was made that the ride was in a malfunction and not to exit the vehicle. 10 minutes later, we were "evacuated" by ladder. We were provided a FP for any ride but FOP or Rivers of Light.

We decided to use our PW FP to finish the ride we started. Only the left side was operating now, so the line was slow. It was just as well because the sky opened up and a heavy downpour arrived. We stayed under cover of the cue for a few minutes, then went on the ride when the rain stopped.

We headed back to EE and used the FPs there.

We headed over to the Safari ride but not before we stopped to watch the monkeys and go on the Maharaj Jungle Trek. The Safari was good. Lots of animals were spotted. The truck was delayed several times for animals on the road.

It was getting close to our 4:00 pm FOP FP so we went to Pandora. I am not familiar at all with the Avatar movie so I am not sure what I was looking at, but it was impressive. We had to wait about 10 minutes for our FP time. The sky was getting dark again.

FOP was fantastic. I didn't care for the little vibrations on my stomach and back, but that is a small gripe. I was surprised how long the ride was. As fantastic as FOP is, I wouldn't stand in line for 120 minutes to ride it.

We had a 6:35 FP left, but when we exited FOP, it was lightly sprinkling. We decided to forgo the last FP and headed to the exit. The rain steadily grew. As soon as we got in the car, the bottom fell out and we drove all the way back to Tampa in heavy rain.

2. Likes MizMissy, magicofdisney, cer liked this post
  3.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

What a great "bonus" day! I had heard that the threat of heavy rain kept crowds lower than usual ... and that was excellent for you.

We spent a very rainy day at AK a couple of years ago, and outside of being really wet, it felt like we had the park to ourselves, it was a fun day.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you were able to head on over to Animal Kingdom as soon as a fastpass opportunity opened up for you. I still haven't managed to get on that ride. The other day, the standby line was over 3 hours!!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Glad you were able to head on over to Animal Kingdom as soon as a fastpass opportunity opened up for you. I still haven't managed to get on that ride. The other day, the standby line was over 3 hours!!!
    I am holding out hope that you'll be on that ride sooner, rather than later.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindisneymagic View Post
    What a great "bonus" day! I had heard that the threat of heavy rain kept crowds lower than usual ... and that was excellent for you.

We spent a very rainy day at AK a couple of years ago, and outside of being really wet, it felt like we had the park to ourselves, it was a fun day.
    We've spent a couple of different days in the parks during a really wet rainy day. It was not cold so we stayed and enjoyed the sparse crowds, almost no waits on all but the most popular attractions. Even with ponchos, we got pretty wet. If it weren't for the chafing from wet clothes, I'd do it all the time!
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    I think it was a conspiracy. As much as I am vocal about my loathing of FP+, I think Disney just threw me a bone.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen the Avatar movie either. It is good to know the area can still be enjoyed without seeing it.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I haven't seen the Avatar movie either. It is good to know the area can still be enjoyed without seeing it.
    You live in a strange nurse box.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings