Quantcast Education at WDW

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Education at WDW

We have to write a letter to the Board of Education explaining why they should let us take my roommate's kids out of school to go to WDW. I want to just write "He's in kindergarten. What does it matter?" Instead, I will ask you guys. Has anyone ever written something like this? Any pointers?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing! What arrogance from the school system! I worked in education for 32 years; ending my career as an Assistant Principal in a High School. My wife is currently a Superintendent. Neither of us can believe a district would try and mandate parents ask permission to take their kids out of school. Parents would let us know their child would be missing school for a vacation out of courtesy; big difference from asking permission.
    Take the Kid to WDW!
    Jeff

4. Likes VWL Mom, cer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of anything so ludicrous, asking the BoE for permission, no way. I took my boys our for a couple days all the way through HS. At times they were given an assignment (i.e.: Italian teacher would make them interview a CM at the Italy Pavillion) but never did I ask anyone's permission especially in kindergarten.

I guess you could make it semi educational mentioning animals and ecology in AK, countries in WS, etc but I would let them know we were going whether or not they approved.
    Last edited by VWL Mom; 02-02-2018 at 08:21 PM.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Spending quality time with family, doesn't get more "educational" than that.

7. Likes VWL Mom, missymouseworld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    We have to write a letter to the Board of Education explaining why they should let us take my roommate's kids out of school to go to WDW. I want to just write "He's in kindergarten. What does it matter?" Instead, I will ask you guys. Has anyone ever written something like this? Any pointers?
    Well, he might miss the day sponsored by the letter "G." How will he ever make that up? Or make a construction paper collage of things they like? Art unmade is a travesty.

Never heard of that, wow. And in Arizona no less. That is surprising.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you have a lot to look forward to!

If you don't live in Florida, it's a travel opportunity to introduce them to a different part of the country. Besides Asia, Africa, dinosaurs and the animals at AK, you also have World Showcase, where they can learn about different countries and languages by talking to the hosts at each Kidcot Fun Stop (do they still do these? Way back, my daughter did a craft---art class covered!) There's a music tie-in with the various performances around the parks. Some of the "rides" are educational, like Spaceship Earth, which "explores man's technological advances over the centuries". There are marine exhibits, aquaculture and greenhouses. Colonial America is represented. Hall of the Presidents showcases all of the American presidents. And don't forget about the Conservation Station (veterinary science). So, science, history, music, art...and if you count all that walking, P.E.! I'm sure you can give enough examples to get the go-ahead. Don't stress over it!
    First trip: 1992 with sister, last trip 2018 with grandchild, not done yet!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Well, he might miss the day sponsored by the letter "G." How will he ever make that up? Or make a construction paper collage of things they like? Art unmade is a travesty.

Never heard of that, wow. And in Arizona no less. That is surprising.

Lol. Thank you for the laugh. I needed it. The kids actually live in Kentucky with their mother. The courts have given him permission. I don't really see how the Board of Education can stop him, but the mother is saying it has to be done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snow's Mom View Post
    Looks like you have a lot to look forward to!

If you don't live in Florida, it's a travel opportunity to introduce them to a different part of the country. Besides Asia, Africa, dinosaurs and the animals at AK, you also have World Showcase, where they can learn about different countries and languages by talking to the hosts at each Kidcot Fun Stop (do they still do these? Way back, my daughter did a craft---art class covered!) There's a music tie-in with the various performances around the parks. Some of the "rides" are educational, like Spaceship Earth, which "explores man's technological advances over the centuries". There are marine exhibits, aquaculture and greenhouses. Colonial America is represented. Hall of the Presidents showcases all of the American presidents. And don't forget about the Conservation Station (veterinary science). So, science, history, music, art...and if you count all that walking, P.E.! I'm sure you can give enough examples to get the go-ahead. Don't stress over it!

I'm just gonna have Snow's Mom write it.

Post Thanks / Like

As a homeschool mom, I referenced Disney's educational and innovative qualities countless times. Living in Florida, we were fortunate enough to visit often enough that those lessons were always pertinent. Animal Kingdom alone could be your one and only qualifier, but you have 3 more parks from which to enhance your argument.

Snow's Mom hit the nail on the head. You should expound on all her examples.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Lol. Thank you for the laugh. I needed it. The kids actually live in Kentucky with their mother. The courts have given him permission. I don't really see how the Board of Education can stop him, but the mother is saying it has to be done.
    I would contact the school attendance clerk directly, and ask what is required for a pre-arranged absence. It sounds like the mother may be calling the shots here and not the school district.

Having to write the school board for approval is completely absurd and seems intrusive.

When a child is out for a family trip, it will likely not be considered an excused absence, but our district allows a number of absences before hours need to be made up.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

14. Likes VWL Mom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, Kentucky.
    Just take some photos of the kids at Tom Sawyer island, maybe hit the hall of presidents, maybe read about Daniel Boone in Frontierland.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, Kentucky.
    Just take some photos of the kids at Tom Sawyer island, maybe hit the hall of presidents, maybe read about Daniel Boone in Frontierland.
    I am totally picture this photo with a coon hat on their heads. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    I would contact the school attendance clerk directly, and ask what is required for a pre-arranged absence. It sounds like the mother may be calling the shots here and not the school district.

Having to write the school board for approval is completely absurd and seems intrusive.

When a child is out for a family trip, it will likely not be considered an excused absence, but our district allows a number of absences before hours need to be made up.
    I have my suspicions about what the mother says, but it won't hurt anything to write a paper. I am really stuck on whether to make it a formal paper or more lighthearted. Should I write "Details, such as the shutters hanging crookedly on the buildings in Liberty Square show how life was in colonial times" or "Walk along the brown river of pavement in Liberty Square with me and pretend you are walking in the sewage that the colonial people poured out of their second story windows"? :P

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago we went through this, too. We had a superintendent who specifically said "a trip to Disney World is NOT a valid excuse for an educational trip to miss school." Huh? We had personal conversations and paper conversations with him on the topic. And even though he was never convinced outwardly, he "accepted" our letter with the reasons why it is educational. In this day and age, how is a family trip to Disney NOT educational? My kids learned the ins and outs of air travel, planning and organization (heck, just with dining reservations and fast passes, of which they were a part!), the educational aspects of EPCOT and Animal Kingdom, and the precious family time. Our contention to him - if he felt a family trip to Disney wasn't an educational trip, what exactly did meet his standards for an educational trip - we never did get a specific response! He just must've gotten a lot of kids headed to Disney. Write up the letter with the many reasons people have shared here, and get it out of the way! And hope you have a great trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Down here, Disney, skiing, deer season, are all valid excuses.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

Down here, Disney, skiing, deer season, are all valid excuses.
    I had a nursing contract in Arlington for 6 months. While I was there, I decided that Texans pretty much think that the rules don't apply to them. It was about 3 or 4 years ago when they had that horrible ice storm and I was watching people get off the freeway wherever they wanted. Who needs off ramps?

Post Thanks / Like

I had a nursing contract in Arlington for 6 months. While I was there, I decided that Texans pretty much think that the rules don't apply to them. It was about 3 or 4 years ago when they had that horrible ice storm and I was watching people get off the freeway wherever they wanted. Who needs off ramps?
    That was probably me. My office was in Arlington at that time. Thats why we have trucks.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

That was probably me. My office was in Arlington at that time. Thats why we have trucks.
    Lol. You were only one of many then. *contemplates getting a truck* :P

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just oin to point out a iven: Missin the letter-"g" class never caused rief for me. I am a reat communicator and people ush about my spellin and rammar.
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mendelson View Post
    I'm just oin to point out a iven: Missin the letter-"g" class never caused rief for me. I am a reat communicator and people ush about my spellin and rammar.
    It'd be tough to make a martini with out g-in out in the 4077th. But I'm sure they can figure out the letter G on their own.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings