Quantcast Any recommendations on companies to swim with manatees in Crystal River?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any recommendations on companies to swim with manatees in Crystal River?

On our way to Orlando, we are staying a couple of nights in Crystal River and swimming with the manatees in Crystal River/Homassassa Springs area. I need recommendations for dive companies or ones to avoid. We would like to spend extra and do a private tour, if possible. It has been over 20 years since I have been, so I don't know what to expect.
    Call me Mary...

Trips
    Offsite-Aug.'89
    CSR-Jan.'00
    Offsite-Mar '01
    WL-Dec.'01
    ASMo, Dolphin-Sep.'03
    Poly, POR-Jan.'05
    AKL-Sep-Oct.'05
    Disney Magic-Oct.'07
    WL- Dec. '09
    CBR-Pirate- Dec. '10
    POP Oct. '11

Up next a last minute trip to POR after a very LONG break from WDW! Feb. 2018!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Last I heard, it is illegal to swim with/interact with manatees in FL. They can come to you, but you aren't supposed to reach out to them.
    It is my dream to one day pilot the monorails around the Seven Seas Lagoon....where's my star!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, swim but not touch. I don't care much for swimming in gator water though..
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Yeah, swim but not touch. I don't care much for swimming in gator water though..
    Yes, the guides simply know where to take you so you can get in water and snorkel on top to observe the manatees swimming nearby. In the winter months, the manatees seek the warm, spring-fed waters north of Tampa. They have had these amazing eco-tours for decades and really push to educate the public on preservation and protection.

Trust me, I am not looking to harm or break laws. I just think it is an amazing experience I did as a teen, now I want my 15 year old to experience also.
    Call me Mary...

Trips
    Offsite-Aug.'89
    CSR-Jan.'00
    Offsite-Mar '01
    WL-Dec.'01
    ASMo, Dolphin-Sep.'03
    Poly, POR-Jan.'05
    AKL-Sep-Oct.'05
    Disney Magic-Oct.'07
    WL- Dec. '09
    CBR-Pirate- Dec. '10
    POP Oct. '11

Up next a last minute trip to POR after a very LONG break from WDW! Feb. 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not judging about the manatee thing, other than swimming in gator infested waters.. Plus the snakes, aggressive fish species.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

7. Thanks DisneyRN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of us Floridians are a wild, crazy, adventurous group. I grew up swimming in those water because my grandfather lived in that area. I remember often swimming on one side of the river bank while gators crested on the other. Thinking back on those memories freaks me out now, as an adult and a Mom. I also recall boating along Crystal River and seeing the manatees casually eating below our boat. My grandfather was a private, commercial fisherman and he knew where all the good spots were.

Crazy or not, I'm glad to have those memories and it'll be a neat experience for you to share this with your daughter.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    Some of us Floridians are a wild, crazy, adventurous group. I grew up swimming in those water because my grandfather lived in that area. I remember often swimming on one side of the river bank while gators crested on the other. Thinking back on those memories freaks me out now, as an adult and a Mom. I also recall boating along Crystal River and seeing the manatees casually eating below our boat. My grandfather was a private, commercial fisherman and he knew where all the good spots were.

Crazy or not, I'm glad to have those memories and it'll be a neat experience for you to share this with your daughter.
    Oh I think that's great, and sounds like a lot of fun... But you were in a boat Not in the water, with a gator behind you.

We've been all through Florida. Love it. Love Texas more. But really enjoy the outdoors in Fla.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings